Quantcast

Thinking of getting some new tires...

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well I threw on my 2.25 IRC Kujo's just because I had them laying around and really didn't feel like putting any of my DH tires (2.7/2.5) maxxis on there. That'd be a little overkill.

But I want something that's in the 2.35 and below range (in size). I know lots of choices out there, bling blings, larsen TT's, MinionDHF's, Launches, Krads, Holyrollers etc... I want a good all around tire, rolls good, hooks up ok, I'm a heavy guy so the sidewalls might be important. I don't do much "urban" stuff......but would like to get more into BMX/DJ stuff.

I'd also not like to spend $50 a tire. Something that's sub $30 each would be nice. I was looking at the Minion DHF's in 2.35 size and it seems like they might work out ok as they have a faster low-profile tread. But I have no idea.

Just wondering what you guys run for tire combo's. My IRC tires knobs are huge and don't roll that well. They worked ok for DH/FR stuff but suck at everything else.

If anyone knows, since I know Maxxis tires run small, how much of a difference is the Holyroller (or hollyroller whatever LOL) tire in size? Is it a true 2.4 or is it more like a 2.25?

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
I think the holyroller is more like a 2.3 or 2.35, it's close to the claimed 2.4, but i dont think it is. take the hookworm for example, a claimed 2.5, but I have 2.3's that are almost the same width... they usually try to make it sound wider than it really is... I think that they measure the whole tread, from where they say it starts to where they say it ends. I think that's why most maxxis tires seem smaller than their claimed size...

I really my Panaracer DH Pro's. they are 2.3, and roll pretty well, but i dont think they make them anymore, so take a look at the FR's (2.4).

michelin also makes some very nice tires. the Hot S is a sweet tire. lots of grip, but not too bad of rolling resistence, IMO.

goodluck finding "your" tires.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
take a look at the specialized enduro pro 2.2 or something, remember taht the 2.4 are bigger then most 2.5. they are cheap track well and roll fast.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i've been running the krads for about 2 weeks, and like em alot so far. They hook up well on pavement and dry dirt. but they absorb mud like they were meant to be together.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Am I being retarded for wanting to run something 2.35-2.25 in size?

I'm still looking around to see what deals I can find. I was thinkin the Arrow Launche's look nice or possibly running a semi-slick in the back and a normal 2.25/2.35 up front. These Kujo's kill me on the street and aren't really that "fast rolling" on dirt either LOL.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
No need for knobs if you're not riding DH. I like my K-Rads but I also want to try the Kenda Knipton or something like that. The Specialized Compound is a good slick tire and for more knobs the Larsen TT looks good.