Quantcast

Thinking of going back to coil fork

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I think I'm going to hybrid coil the 40....I prefer the preload vs psi thing...tends to change a bit much deep in stroke with ramp and damping with my weight...chatter packs up...
Stock damper does a great job by going wide open on low speed it is decent. But when I adjust one I tend to sacrafice elsewhere..

I will reshim avy cart to allow a little faster rebound and up the low speed stuff instead of all the way open. I prefer coil and the way it feels overall...tracking just feels a bit more controlled on steep nasty chutes....

I also know I can get a tune to split difference and make it more in my comfort zone. So I'll play with it a little but I think coil is where I'm headed and a weight penalty is worth it on a DH set up...

Anyone feel the same or thoughts on this...

I'll post up my stack on cart and look up his other set ups. Any suggestions let me know...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I've got a Vorsprung coil kit on the Enduro. Whenever I ride an air sprung bike afterwards there is always some initial disappointment... :D
It just feels so good off the top and in the middle.
That's my issue top and mid. Parking lot is ok but when hammering down it doesn't have the same dense feel...I like to feel planted and take out all high speed frequency or tips of the spiking as possible....

I noticed it on my coil shock vs air how the ass end performed and took the tips off stuff. Allowed a bit better control.

Going to weigh options for the 40 and for the 38....for a trail Enduro set up I can use my weight to smooth stuff a bit but when I'm light on the bike and ontop of stuff at speed or coming into a nasty rock root section like yesterday man I really noticed it....

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I would consider selling this 40 with the Avy cart and getting a new stock 40 Grip 2. Out of the box you can push a new 40 pretty hard and I don’t think you’ll have any of the issues you are having currently. The air springs got better every time and the latest version is hard to criticize, in my world. Just a thought.

At your weight you aren’t going to have a lot of options for différent spring weights to dial it in.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
It's a 2016 and no I never messed around with the rc2. I actually like the rc2 damper....always thought it did a pretty damn good job. It had a couple small issues but easy to adjust to...
You might find that one or two moar shimz on the rc2 base valve might make your fork exactly what you need

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Also if I recall correctly the 2016 is the old air spring with the coil negative?
Yeah it's the pre Evol air...should be NA2 with no spring inside just a transfer port to equalize

BuckoW has got me thinking to go new 40...I have the rc2 in my box maybe I'll slap a couple on it and see....I'd like to get the avalanche dialed , partly cause I've loved them in the past on coil set ups...set and forget...had amazing luck, slammed some nasty stuff and they have been spot on..

I'd am curious to if the older air spring is part of what I'm fighting...if a Evol would be a better setup

Last edited: