Quantcast

Thinking of living the dream....

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So I've recently quit my job, and am now a self-employed web-developer working from home. I'm being paid a lot better than when I was in employment, and most importantly I can - in theory - work from anywhere in the world. Give me a net connection, and I'm there.

So, the current thought is that it's time to streamline my life - sell a load of my possessions, put the rest into storage, and go travelling the world with my bike and my laptop. Most places are cheaper to live than the UK, and I'd still be being paid by UK clients at UK rates, so it seems silly not to. Plus I could hit a new spot every couple of months, constantly moving on and experiencing new places and new hills :)

So, where to go eh... I think if I do this I'll do it at the end of (UK) summer, so Octoberish. I'll want to head somewhere sunny initially, so New Zealand or somewhere - anywhere with sun, hills, and the english language haha. Then onto Canada & the States.... very exciting!

If the places I move to are cheap enough and I don't go spend-crazy I could get by on working every other day, so plenty of riding & chilling time.... in theory I don't think I'll need to worry about work visas since I'm working for UK clients, and also I shouldn't have to pay any UK income tax if I'm out of the country for more than 270days/year. Strictly speaking I think that means I should be paying local taxes in whatever country I'm in at the time, but that's another story (and with a UK employer and a UK bank account one that any country might struggle to prove? I'm just on holiday aren't I officer? ;))

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I"m jealous. You need a wife and two kids to tie you down with health insurance responsibilities and a home.

I'm actually glad to see people like you have the wisdom to break the American leash and travel. You'll never forget it. If you're going abroad, you have to hit Italy and France, maybe during the Tour. Moab and AZ are pretty cool in october.

SEnd pics = video updates would be better!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I was quite close to the wife thing a few months ago but I decided to sever that tie...

I'm still enjoying being responsibility-free at the moment, but I'm sure the day will come when I go "hmmm, she was pretty cool, dammit" :( :)

I'm actually quite looking forward to hitting the various riding spots in America, I'm a UK-monkey at the moment. I've ridden in France plenty, but yeah, I'll certainly do a stint around Europe at some point if I do this!

You only live once eh!

Jan 18, 2006
You need an assistant and r bike mechanic to travel around with you. I have a multi-tool. I am a multi-tool.:biggrin:

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
I think that is the greatest idea a have heard all year. I'm taking the whole summer off to ride and do nothing else but ride. Hopefully finish off the riding season with a Costa Rica trip.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
How do you guys pull it off? I see Seb is a web devloper, so he can work from wherever, but everyone else who's "taken the summer off to ride", where do you get the cash flow? Do you just save like crazy the rest of the year or is there some other trick?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How do you guys pull it off? I see Seb is a web devloper, so he can work from wherever, but everyone else who's "taken the summer off to ride", where do you get the cash flow? Do you just save like crazy the rest of the year or is there some other trick?
a healthy kidney can get you about $5000 USD. or if you're clean you can go to the sperm bank and donate into a cup for about $50 a pop.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
He's also not from the US. Europe/Britan/Dutch are much smarter than we are. Americans are greedy wage slaves, so it's an entirely different culture. Euros get 6 weeks just for vacations- (should I mention national healthcare?)!!! We have become sheeple, which is obvious over the last 8 years.

Seb, if you free ride, you might want to hit a few mountain on the east coast depending on the time of year. Start a thread when you arrive and I'm sure people will give you tours of the best riding in the areas.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
or if you're clean you can go to the sperm bank and donate into a cup for about $50 a pop.
ahahahahaha... are you trying to tell me you now live on the west coast because you whacked your way there?

...hmmmm.. Lets see, if I step up production I could be making like $150 a day easy! :busted:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ahahahahaha... are you trying to tell me you now live on the west coast because you whacked your way there?

...hmmmm.. Lets see, if I step up production I could be making like $150 a day easy! :busted:
no and no. ps you're limited to once a week. So "stepping up production" won't help you, only lead to chafing.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I save like crazy, work two jobs and try and keep things simple. Having a good paying job helps too.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
yeah, at the moment the good paying job part is working out for me.

However, the managing to take time off to go places with out the boss freaking out that I'm gone for more than two days... not so much :(

If I take a summer off, or even like more than a week at a time, I'd probably have to quit my job first.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Get out there and do it! Leave right now! Get out of the British winter and into the sun!

Here's what ya do: go to southern Spain right now, do all the Spanish races leading into the season, and practice you're bike bum skills. Get your payment process in check, and get in the groove. Spain is only 40 euros away from London, so you can make it back for quick trips/booty calls/groceries. Once you've ridden Andalucia (Malaga/Granada/Sevilla) it'll get warmer and you can make your way up along the cost and into the Alps.

If you bring your own car to Spain/Europe, it'll be much easier to travel. Bringing a DH bike, a few tools, and all your clothes on just your person and traveling by bus/train just plain sucks. And you can't even bring a bike onto Spanish trains! Plus, you can sleep in a van.

In N.A., hit Whistler up a few times over the summer for sure, as well as Northstar, Mammoth, Keystone, Diablo, Plattekill, Whiteface, etc. Sell your car when you leave Europe and buy a car/van/pickup when you get to the US. If you've got a DH bike, you gotta have either your own car or an endless list of buddies to give you rides all over this huge continent.

Don't forget to visit South Africa, Australia, South America, Japan, and Hawaii.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

Easy, i'm a teacher:biggrin:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Nice work. I have a similar plan, but just for this coming summer. I figure it's my last one before I sign my life away to the man, so why the hell not.

Have a blast.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
He's also not from the US. Europe/Britan/Dutch are much smarter than we are. Americans are greedy wage slaves, so it's an entirely different culture. Euros get 6 weeks just for vacations- (should I mention national healthcare?)!!! We have become sheeple, which is obvious over the last 8 years.

Seb, if you free ride, you might want to hit a few mountain on the east coast depending on the time of year. Start a thread when you arrive and I'm sure people will give you tours of the best riding in the areas.
Well actually most people only get 20-25 days paid holiday a year, unless you count the 8 public holiday we also get. Of course now that I'm self employed I get no "free" holidays and every day I decide not to work effectively "costs" me £xxx :'(

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Haha, I like your thinking dude :) Yeah I'll always try to take/buy a vehicle when I go places, hauling everything you own around sucks ass. I'm gonna do it at the end of summer because a) i'm scared, b) i've only been self-employed a couple of months and should concentrate on that first and foremost, and c) i'm looking forward to a UK race season with my mates, oddly (and I've already spent about £500 on the entry fees :P) :)

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I work for 27 weeks of the year. I work like a motherfvcker, but it means I get 25 weeks holiday each year...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
And your work consists largely of guiding people around the Portes du Soleil yeah? :-)

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
At the end of this summer, me & my wife are selling our home in England and most of our worldly goods, whats left including my Racelink are being strapped to my trusty old Landrover which will be our home for a few years whilst we travel around the planet.
There's more to life than work.