Quantcast

Thinking of switching from 4x to Pike

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
My slalom bike came with an 07 Marz 4x, which has been a great fork but I've been thinking of going to a pike to get a little more adjustability. (i.e Travel adjustment) The reason being, I'll be using the bike more and more for AM riding. I've also done a little math and figured that with a Pike at the 90mm setting it will have a shorter A-C length than the 4x, which I want when racing and DJing.

Just trying to get some opinions, hopefully some of you have ridden both forks.

Jan 12, 2008
I have a little time on a 4X and a good deal of time on a Pike. While the 4X feels great, the Pike's adjustability puts it ahead, particularly for a bike that is used for more than one kind of riding. It is also a fair bit lighter as well, I think.
PS - I have an 07 Pike 454 Uturn for sale on here. PM me...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
The 4x is 4.6lbs and the lightest pike is 4.7lbs I think. I'm not even sure what model Pike I would get, but I wouldn't mind adding a little weight to get a little more adjustability.

Jan 12, 2008
Ohh.. Well still pretty light then. I prefer the coil Pike; there is a little more resistance to push against when coming up on a lip.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
The 4x I'm getting right around 483mm. And I found that a Pike at 140mm is 517mm, so if you subtract 140-95(lowest setting) you get 45mm, thus subtracting 45mm from 517mm you get 472mm.

But I'm not sure if it works like that...

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
If you are "slightly" worried about its durability, the 454 has a hollow crown w/ alum steer as the others pimp a solid crown w/ a steel steer. I personally think the coil is the better version of them all strictly because of how versatile it can be with different springs, etc.