Quantcast

Thinnest or shortest headset possible?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I've usually been running FSA Pig headsets although I was wondering if there's anything out there that's smaller? I want a headset that will give me the shortest headset stack possible.

Thanks.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the fsa DL is one of the thinest headset you can lay your ands on. also they are really inexpensive. but and headset is only going to save you like 3mm

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
McGRP01 said:
I think Cane Creek and FSA both make Zero Stack headsets.
To use those zero stack headsets, you have to have a head tube that accepts them. If your currently rinning a pig, that means that your head tube will not accept zero stack headsets. Kings are fairly short, but also quite expensive. Look at some of the other FSA headsets, like the orbit series, they seem pretty short also.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
sleepinggiant said:
To use those zero stack headsets, you have to have a head tube that accepts them. If your currently rinning a pig, that means that your head tube will not accept zero stack headsets. Kings are fairly short, but also quite expensive. Look at some of the other FSA headsets, like the orbit series, they seem pretty short also.
Yes, that's exactly why I asked if he had a 1.5 steer tube. Because then you can get an adapter to run a zero stack (i.e. integrated) headset.

No dice if you're frame doesn't already have one.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The FSA Orbit Xtreme seems to be the shortest one at 25.5mm. The Pig headset is 29.5mm.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
Biscuit said:
Yes, that's exactly why I asked if he had a 1.5 steer tube. Because then you can get an adapter to run a zero stack (i.e. integrated) headset.

No dice if you're frame doesn't already have one.
There are 1-1/8" headtubes that accept zero stack headsets too. Remember Schwinn's ICBM(Integrated Cup and Bearing Mold). Most of the Giant xc bikes use them too.

Chris Robbin- I use an Orbit Extreem Pro and love it.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
sleepinggiant said:
There are 1-1/8" headtubes that accept zero stack headsets too. Remember Schwinn's ICBM(Integrated Cup and Bearing Mold). Most of the Giant xc bikes use them too.

Chris Robbin- I use an Orbit Extreem Pro and love it.
Doesn't the headtube have to be specifically designed for an integrated hs?
Meaning, if he doesn't have one already, he probably can't use one?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but by looking at the one on my hollowpoint, it sure seems to require a slightly bigger headtube.

I think ChrisRobbin should just get a new bike.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
as an aside - not sure if a thinner stem will help you issue (since you have not specified the issue, only the desired result). the new sic stems have a very thin point of contact. i do realize this is not an answer to your question, only an answer to my guess at your questions.

good luck.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Biscuit said:
I think ChrisRobbin should just get a new bike.
Yeah, a 1-1/8 headtube will not take any sort of zero-stack headset.

Well, I don't really want a new frame but maybe I can cut the headtube off and weld on a 1.5er on there.