Quantcast

Third Annual BEACON BLOWOUT DH Race

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
O.K. - - Here it is; the first official announcement.

Bicycle Butler's Third Annual
BEACON BLOWOUT
Downhill Race

Sunday, June 1 • 10 am
Camp Sekani • Spokane, WA
(Beacon Hill • 6707 E. Upriver Drive)
Practices: Saturday, 10 am - 5 pm • Sunday, 8 - 9:30 am
*** Sorry, no shuttles for this event***

ENTRY FEE:
$35
:thumb: $28 ONLINE
:thumb:
($25+$3 service fee)
SAVE $7!

This will be a TWO-RUN, 'BEST-TIME' FORMAT this year (best of your two timed runs counts)
on the same course as the previous Blowouts

Three ways to register:

• Online at Active.com •

• By mail •
[Download entry form HERE]

• On-site Sat. only: 10 am - 5 pm •

NO LATE FEES
Absolutely NO DAY-OF-RACE Registrations!
(One-day NORBA licenses will be available on-site)

NORBA Sanctioning / Points

Questions?

Call Bicycle Butler at (509) 328-7475 or
E-mail: spokes@bicyclebutler.com

We do not yet know whether or not this will be the WA State Championship. Details to come.​

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
Why not just have timing from the bottom to the top too and call it a timed xc race. Sorry for the negativity, but that's a really long drive for one run, no shuttle, and have a DS course but not use it. Where are all the proceeds going?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
We don't want anything to happen as did the last two years so we are not doing two-run combined. This is something we can do with the horsepower we have.

Nothing we've ever done has not been b****ed about; so we do what we can to the best of our abilities and you can choose to come and have some fun or you can stay home and shuttle your local trails.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I'm from PA and I rode Beacon back in '99. Not the race, just the runs. There was something magical about that place and it brought out the best in my riding.

Not sure how the trails have changed, but if I wasn't 3000 miles away I'd definitely go, even for a 1 run race.

Hope someone puts up a cool video!

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Why not just have timing from the bottom to the top too and call it a timed xc race. Sorry for the negativity, but that's a really long drive for one run, no shuttle, and have a DS course but not use it. Where are all the proceeds going?
The question of the day,where do all the proceeds go?Is timing that much?PA-shuttle all day and burger for $25.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Dan Webber, our local Beacon wizard and 'trailboss' and I are going to scope out the possible extension Sunday hopefully. Dan knows it; I only vaguely recall. He says it's a hard left off the top of the stepup that winds down and around around rather than heading across for the waterfall. Dan thinks that we can add in the neighborhood of 30 seconds to it. Other detours farther up will be explored but we don't want to cut out the funnest stuff like the Twisted Sister, etc.

A portion of the proceeds will once again go to the FTTRC (Fat Tire Trail Riders Club) - - the official caretakers of the Camp Sekani property. BB Racing retains enough to cover expenses, put a little toward the shop's racing season and to host other events through the season.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Called Tim today, I should be up there for it. Ill talk to the wife and get it finalized! :D looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!!
We pay $30 per race here in so cal for a 1 run format on a course that we have to pedal part of the way "called the WALL!".
Beacon is worth $30 :thumb:
We just ended the Shimano winter DH series and the Norba starts 2 weeks from now after keyston classic or Bootleg, take your choice!

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
wait! waterfall and seattle line wont be in the new course?

lame if not. . .

if this isnt State championships. . . any idea wat will be?

no ds? $30 for one run? all I can say is that the timing better be damn good
you going? if so im booking my plane tickets from england ACCORDINGLY to this race, hehe.

either way i gotta leave my june 3.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Again, when is the START of the race? Its not on the flyer again. Same as last year. When I was told the start was 2 hours later then it actually was. I never got my run.... I came from Tacoma to race, ended up watch Tyler and Harry race instead. GEESH

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
This thread couldn't get much whinier, but come on guys! Give a weekend up at Whistler for one run format with no DS, and no shuttles? Sorry the drive up north is more scenic. Do an October/November end of season bash with DS, a band, and Beer........ I'll be there.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Again, when is the START of the race? Its not on the flyer again. . .
Fixed.

10 AM START

Practice closes at 9:30 for ½ hour to get course marshalls, medics and everyone else in in position so that the first racer goes off the top at 10:00.

Eren said:
if this isnt State championships. . . any idea wat will be?
That's not to say it won't be - - we just have not received confirmation from USA Cycling so I cannot bill it as such yet.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
How can this be a state championship? Last year made sense since this was the only race in the state AFAIK. This year with the Fluid cup going on, it seems that the first race of the season cannot be accurately called the championship race. ...or am I missing something here? :)

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
You are missing something here.

Any NORBA-sanctioned race in the state can apply to USA Cycling to be be the State Championship race. The calendar has nothing to do with it (look at the NORBA National Championship - - it usually occurs long before the NMBS is wrapped up).

Since the Beacon race is once again, as far as I can tell, the only NORBA sanctioned downhill race in the state of Washington this year, I think it would not be inappropriate for us to seek state championship status.

If someone else wants to line up a venue, select a date they like better, secure NORBA sanctioning and host a race, then I suppose they would be welcome to appeal to USA Cycling for state championship status for their event.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
its more than just one run, its the event to kick off the season Its DH, when in the past has timing ever been on?? Just go to have fun, play with friends and ride bikes.
Event to kick off the season???? On June 1? I think the Spring Fling did that last weekend, for $20 and shuttle and food.
This also better not be the WA state championship. With the Fluidride Cup shaping up to be a true race series, I'd imagine it will be a bit representative of our states best talent.

$30 is a lot to charge for no shuttles.

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
We're aiming to get one of the Fluidride Cups appointed the State Championships. I feel Port Angeles, and Mt. Hood best represent true NW terrain and conditions. Nothing against Beacon, but a DH champion of any sort, should be crowned by prevailing on true DH terrain.

Thoughts???

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
For it to be true Puget Sound Basin representative terrain doesn't it need to have two Starbuck's at the top (across from each other) one in the middle and a couple at the finish plus a satellite kiosk in the timing tent? :D

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
Yep-
And every racer is required to chug a doubletallventinonfatcarmelmachiato withwhip cream and a bean at the finish before the run time stops.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
It's actually pretty sad when you can see another starbucks from the window of a starbucks.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
We're aiming to get one of the Fluidride Cups appointed the State Championships. I feel Port Angeles, and Mt. Hood best represent true NW terrain and conditions. Nothing against Beacon, but a DH champion of any sort, should be crowned by prevailing on true DH terrain.

Thoughts???
well said and very true.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
We have to talk to chris at WSE about the slalom. the original idea was for WSE to put on the DS on saturday, but i'm not sure what is going to happen now. as soon as I find out, I'll post it up here.

I wish it was a little earlier in the season though. I won't be hanging around moscow for 3 weeks after finals are done. but I will most likley be there.

Kyle,

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Chris and WSE can host an event some other weekend (which they have been talking about anyway) that can include a slalom. There will be no slalom on the weekend of the Beacon Blowout. Period.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Something I have always wondered is what's the fundamental differences between USAC and Norba as they exist now? Are they in fact, competing sanctioning parties? They both have a national championship and they both have a series final. Appreciate any illumination on this.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
USA Cycling is the single sanctioning body that does road, track and off-road through its subsidiaries USCF, USPRO and NORBA.

There are three separate NORBA things that go on:

(1) local, regional and state events, run by various race promoters. Medal finishes at the state and regional championships qualify those racers to the National Championships.

(2) the NMBS (National Mountain Bike Series) - - NORBA Nationals - - promoted and run by a third party (Blue Wolf Productions) for USA Cycling. Podium finishes at any NMBS race also qualifies the racer to go to the NORBA National Championship. The NMBS usually continues on after the Nat. Championship race and crowns its own SERIES champions later.

(3) the NORBA National Championship race - - a one-day event at one venue.

Clear?

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
USA Cycling is the single sanctioning body that does road, track and off-road through its subsidiaries USCF, USPRO and NORBA.

There are three separate NORBA things that go on:

(1) local, regional and state events, run by various race promoters. Medal finishes at the state and regional championships qualify those racers to the National Championships.

(2) the NMBS (National Mountain Bike Series) - - NORBA Nationals - - promoted and run by a third party (Blue Wolf Productions) for USA Cycling. Podium finishes at any NMBS race also qualifies the racer to go to the NORBA National Championship. The NMBS usually continues on after the Nat. Championship race and crowns its own SERIES champions later.

(3) the NORBA National Championship race - - a one-day event at one venue.

Clear?
Kinda? Why the two different Gravity Schedules with two different Championships? How does this effect the pros, speaking of points, ability to register for races extra?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Chris and WSE can host an event some other weekend (which they have been talking about anyway) that can include a slalom. There will be no slalom on the weekend of the Beacon Blowout. Period.
Don't be hatin'. Whos to say there won't be an impromptu berm slashing session ala Crankworx...

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
Because America has their heads up their asses when it comes to Gravity racing. This is a question that has been asked by many a person before you young padewan.
The good news is we are taking it back. Private enteties like the promoters of the MSC, the numerous East coast series promoters, and now the FRCup, have approached the creation of their own respective events with a different motive. We all love to race bikes. That's it.
I'm claiming here... In a few years there will be a new revitalization in the USA's Gravity racing scene. Out with the old, in with the new.

Bring it.

Kinda? Why the two different Gravity Schedules with two different Championships? How does this effect the pros, speaking of points, ability to register for races extra?

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Thanks. This thread is actually useful. Does the same USA Cycling Lic. work both for USAC and Norba Nationals?

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
I think someone should start a new gravity racing sanctioning body that has nothing to do with NORBA or USAC. I've heard talk about this in the past, but so far no one has stepped up to do it. If done properly, I bet most of the larger race promoters would jump ship to the new organization. That way we could have a sanctioning body that has our best interests in mind. USAC does not give a rats ass about DH since it is not an olympic sport.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Don't be hatin'. Whos to say there won't be an impromptu berm slashing session ala Crankworx...
I'm not hating; I'm simply pointing out a fact. Nobody is going to run a sanctioned DS race at that venue on that weekend. BB Racing will be renting the venue for a DH race and will be responsible for the venue and for the safety of the spectators and racers; so anything not a DH not happening on the DH course will be, like you said, impromptu.

Like impromptu jump jams before, if it does not impinge on the safety or organization of the real event, then it might be allowed to happen unmolested.