Quantcast

%.% Third Day GMT %.%

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!

Yawning and slightly tired this morning. Played some music last night with my buds at an open mic, and we didn't get on until about 10:30 - the place was sardines. By the time I made it home, it was really late....

This week is moving fast and going full potato on me. I gotta go get something done...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Morning. Sore from last night's ride. Morning is busy with calls and meetings per usual but the afternoon is going to be quiet. I suspect that one of my Hadleys is going to see fresh lube before I head out for a mild ride...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkies! Two small earthquakes last night, one at about 12:30 and the other 30 minutes later, they were shakers, not rollers. No damage that I can see as the epicenter was 80 or 90 miles away. I think I will use the event to justify sleeping in... :)

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hello, beautiful friends. Masters swim done before work. Six days off from work starts at 3:00, which means my productivity today may be lacking.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Ate some Tacos and did some backyard Slackline antics with Jr last night. Then we tried to walk the cat. Didn't go so well. Cats are not dogs. Bikes in the woods tonight.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Just need to make it through a half day of work. Off tomorrow and then fly out for Whistler first thing Saturday morning with the family. My 4 yo is super excited, meanwhile, just hoping the 1 yo doesn't make us "those parents". At least it's only a 3 hour flight. Bike is packed, getting the kids stuff packed tonight and putting my riding gear together.

Anyone have any suggestions for family-oriented stuff in the area? I think we are going to do the peak2peak gondola, lost lake and whatever else we can find while we're there. The wife also agreed to sign up for a beginner class.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
She 99.9% won't be continuing with it. Basically a 'when in Rome' sort of thing. She's already been out biking with me here and it's not her thing. Granted, that was more trail riding.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Should be a good couple days to close out the week. Start of a new sprint, tasks laid out for 2 weeks, a chunk of the team is on vacation during, so I might get some stuff done. Still fighting a damn belt squeal on the car, ready to flip this bitch and collect the insurance. :rofl:

Just kidding, I would not do that on purpose, that would suck.

My wife has said she would be down to try a tandem, but I think she would rather it be a rickshaw. :D

She didn't like the idea of riding her own motorcycle because she has to pay attention. She loves her quad, though because it is an auto and she can just gas and go.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Spent yesterday with teh women folk at the water park. Water slides are still amusing. Returned home with a more positive self body image as well. Holy shit are a lot of people fat.

Also, should you ever find yourself in Centennial, Blue Spruce brewing makes some mighty fine beer.

House stuff today. Better get outside as it is supposed to be balls hot again.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
is that a lot? i'd like to do solar sometime soon, not sure of upfront cost and reward. then I can get an electric car with a reasonable ROI
Not sure if this helps, but it gives you a place to start: https://www.quora.com/What-can-someone-do-with-a-10-kWh-Tesla-Powerwall-pack
Cost was order $20K, no idea when it might pay for itself.
At this point in time, people doing this aren't doing it for the ROI. My buddy who put in a solar hot-water installation said the ROI at current energy prices was over 20 years. Solar might be different based on where you live and power purchase agreements. I listened to this a few years ago. http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/04/10/398811199/episode-616-how-solar-got-cheap From memory, ROI could be as low 5-7 years for solar.
Surgery today. Hope this is the last of my 2017 medical issues.
Good luck. May the FSM be with you,.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Just found stepson is going on his first fire call since joining the Spooner Summit crew.

Bit o' history....... he was with the Inyo Forest crew just north of Lee Vining, got tired of the drive from home (1 1/2hrs each way in good weather), so he left and joined local waste management department in town to be closer to his wife/daughters, missed the rush of fire fighting (and the respect that went with it), so he re-applied, and got chosen by his current crew.

I may not have been much of a father figure to him as he grew up, yet I am so damn proud of the person he is and has become...........

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
@johnbryanpeters What kW is the array? Here in Denver (i.e. sunny) my 2.6 kW array has kicked out between 313 and 342 kWh each month from March through now.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
We looked into solar, the payback right now is just too long. Our bill is only about $100-150 a month 9 months out of the year and maybe $300 during summer while running A/C and pool pump more. Our neighbor put in a system that was like $25k, but his wife is home all day with their kids and they run the A/C all day, so it sounds like it made more sense. We changed all the light bulbs in the house to LED, put in a variable speed pool pump when the old one took a shit and our electricity bill dropped pretty dramatically.

Side note....buddy twisted my arm into a second Whistler trip in Sept. Plane ticket was $200.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Brain hurts. Dealing with teammates who can't figure out how to use their computers from home (not my job), field reps doing things they shouldn't be doing (not my job), and a busy day in general.

And Haley was a full asshole yesterday evening at bedtime. We did find out that the school took away afternoon snack and didn't tell any parents though... Also there is a kid with serious behavior issues (screaming, hitting, throwing things, etc) that is new for the summer. A few other legacy kids are beginning to have the same issues that we are. It might be a time for a parent revolt, because at $1200/m for 6 kids now having these issues and potentially leaving is a LOT more than one kid for the same amount.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Brain hurts. Dealing with teammates who can't figure out how to use their computers from home (not my job), field reps doing things they shouldn't be doing (not my job), and a busy day in general.

And Haley was a full asshole yesterday evening at bedtime. We did find out that the school took away afternoon snack and didn't tell any parents though... Also there is a kid with serious behavior issues (screaming, hitting, throwing things, etc) that is new for the summer. A few other legacy kids are beginning to have the same issues that we are. It might be a time for a parent revolt, because at $1200/m for 6 kids now having these issues and potentially leaving is a LOT more than one kid for the same amount.
at least you finally realized #SaganGotRobbed. so there's that.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA

My kids behavior definitely changes around other kids that we don't approve of. Definitely stuff my wife and I have talked about. We are by no means the type of parents to really care what other people do, but it's annoying when their kid being an a-hole rubs off on my kid. Also makes it hard for daycare since they can't necessarily do everything we would to curb it.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Just realized I left my riding shoes home. Fawk me..... Thursday is the only night of the week when I have other people to ride with. I am hoping my wife can help me out.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
We looked into solar, the payback right now is just too long. Our bill is only about $100-150 a month 9 months out of the year
Yup - our electricity averages $85/mo over the year. It's just not worth the expense/hassle.

Brain hurts. Dealing with teammates who can't figure out how to use their computers from home (not my job),
My company won't invest in VDI for some strange reason. Give me a cloud desktop managed by IT that I simply need to remote into from wherever and all the appropriate apps are installed/maintained. None of this "when you get a chance, can we remote into your laptop and do a bunch of bullshit to try to get things cleaned up."

It might be a time for a parent revolt, because at $1200/m for 6 kids now having these issues and potentially leaving is a LOT more than one kid for the same amount.
You know what's likely to make this way better/easier? Have more kids. :monkeydance:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not sure if this helps, but it gives you a place to start: https://www.quora.com/What-can-someone-do-with-a-10-kWh-Tesla-Powerwall-pack

At this point in time, people doing this aren't doing it for the ROI. My buddy who put in a solar hot-water installation said the ROI at current energy prices was over 20 years. Solar might be different based on where you live and power purchase agreements. I listened to this a few years ago. http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/04/10/398811199/episode-616-how-solar-got-cheap From memory, ROI could be as low 5-7 years for solar.
Good luck. May the FSM be with you,.
thanks for the link. not sure it tells me much besides slapping a tesla logo on something and selling it for 4 times the price is pretty effective. I know I would need to grid-tie out here, with a cold winter, but if I'm cranking out juice from my roof, it might, in theory, help to offset the cost of an electric car or at least running the AC. Plus, in MA, they had/have been buying back energy credits. I'd love a storage system, but a grid tie running the house during the day would be pretty cool.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
thanks for the link. not sure it tells me much besides slapping a tesla logo on something and selling it for 4 times the price is pretty effective. I know I would need to grid-tie out here, with a cold winter, but if I'm cranking out juice from my roof, it might, in theory, help to offset the cost of an electric car or at least running the AC. Plus, in MA, they had/have been buying back energy credits. I'd love a storage system, but a grid tie running the house during the day would be pretty cool.
my neighbor is having a large enough system installed that he will be putting power back into the grid for credit. my buddy lives next door to him and they actually had to install a phone pole for the new wiring.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Don't get me started.
The neighbor has 3 kids (17, 8, 4) from a previous marriage and has started to re-reproduce. The newborn is now 1 and she is 3 months pregnant. The 4 year old is a hellion because he gets zero attention from anyone in the house. Dad has "his own kid" now, so he is somewhat occupied by that and the idea of the next.

I for one am not looking forward to the additional neighbors.

On a lighter note, one of the interns here did the most intern of things. Over the holiday break, he forgot to take his meds, had a seizure and dislocated his shoulder. People thought he might have been doing an activity of some kind. :rofl: