Quantcast

(((: Third Hiss Day :)))

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Heyo!

Another rainy day here in the Bay State. Luckily it rolls in later this morning so I have a chance to walk the dogs.

Otherwise not much. Thinking about turning my hardtail single speed, but lack the knowledge or gear to do so.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You have sliding dropout?

If not, you need tensioner and one Surly cog. Determining preferred ration takes a few rides.
No sliding dropout, just the inserts with the derailleur hanger tab. Those derailleur hanger mounted tensioners work?

Also have no idea on gear ratio. Got a 32t ring up front at the moment.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
No sliding dropout, just the inserts with the derailleur hanger tab. Those derailleur hanger mounted tensioners work?

Some tensioner work better than others, I remember the DMR being one of them. As for ratio, depends on your fitness level and the trails you usually ride. A good start would be 32-18 or 32-19.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
@Adventurous I think I have a single speed cog and spacer kit you can have. No tensioner, but it’s a start. I’d have to figure out which parts are mine and which parts I borrowed... but also it’s been like 7 years since my ROS9 was SS so whoever gave me that stuff isn’t looking for it. There are a few cogs, I think ranging from 18-21 or 22? For Colorado on wagon wheels, I recall 32/21 gearing worked well enough for me. Low enough I could actually climb NTM and White Ranch, and then still get spun out in the descents.

Also single speed is dumb and your stupid for riding it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

What size wheels, is it little clown wheel 26"?
What sort of terrain are you planning on riding it on?

I used to use 32/20 on a 29er racing hundies, but on 26" 32/18 or 19 should be a good start as long as you've not got too many or too steep a climbs.

The hanger tensioners work, as Jozz said, some better than others. Singlespeed forum on empty beer might have up to date suggestions.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I would not care to climb White Ranch on 32 x 21t

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I recently rebuilt my Evil as a SS. 32/20 I believe. It's moar a street/play bike for me, and I'd NEVER think I could climb WR in this gearing but I can burn hours just bouncing around and practicing manuals.

what bike is this @Adventurous ?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Some tensioner work better than others, I remember the DMR being one of them. As for ratio, depends on your fitness level and the trails you usually ride. A good start would be 32-18 or 32-19.
gusset makes one similar to the DMR.

start with a gear ratio around 2:1. for a 32T ring i'd start at a 16 or 17t.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@Adventurous I think I have a single speed cog and spacer kit you can have. No tensioner, but it’s a start. I’d have to figure out which parts are mine and which parts I borrowed... but also it’s been like 7 years since my ROS9 was SS so whoever gave me that stuff isn’t looking for it. There are a few cogs, I think ranging from 18-21 or 22? For Colorado on wagon wheels, I recall 32/21 gearing worked well enough for me. Low enough I could actually climb NTM and White Ranch, and then still get spun out in the descents.

Also single speed is dumb and your stupid for riding it.
That's you're stupid for riding it to you, and I wholesomely agree.

Also, I'd be happy to take you up on that offer.

What size wheels, is it little clown wheel 26"?
What sort of terrain are you planning on riding it on?

I used to use 32/20 on a 29er racing hundies, but on 26" 32/18 or 19 should be a good start as long as you've not got too many or too steep a climbs.

The hanger tensioners work, as Jozz said, some better than others. Singlespeed forum on empty beer might have up to date suggestions.
26", and it'll be typical East Coast trails, though my Yeti will be my primary ride. Just want something available to cruise/mess around on that is dead simple.

Climbs are steep, and a plenty, but luckily short in duration. None of those 1+ hour climbs like CO.

I recently rebuilt my Evil as a SS. 32/20 I believe. It's moar a street/play bike for me, and I'd NEVER think I could climb WR in this gearing but I can burn hours just bouncing around and practicing manuals.

what bike is this @Adventurous ?
A NOS Transition Trans-Am, with all of the outdated standards. 26", 100/135 spacing, QR, 27.0 seatpost, 1 1/8" straight head tube. Bought the frame for a few hundo and used parts pirated from my RFX when I tore that apart.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
and both my surgically repaired collarbones are hurty.
That's part of it for me. My cripple shoulder pretty much said "Fuck you, I'm out!" around 45. That said, it's also just a lame excuse for how pretty badly out of shape I am from the waist up. I definitely should find some sort of upper body work out regimine.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
40, 30, 20, then 10 pushups done for a total of 100. Much better.

Anyone have a demo saw I can borrow? Never realized how many people think its acceptable to park on and fully obstruct the sidewalk. I'd like to do a little clearancing.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I was doing pushups and situps every day before this COVID20 thing I've got hit me. Let me see how badly I get on after several weeks of fuckall.

Doctor said yesterday with my symptoms staying the same for the last 4 weeks it's not bat flu and gave me permission to do exercise. I gave myself an Italian tuneup on the roadbike yesterday afternoon and I'm not dead today, so that's a positive.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Way to go with the pushups fellas.

I honestly have no idea how some people can keep riding bikes into 30's, 40's and beyond without at least some kind of core and upper body work, but still, I see it all the time.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

I honestly have no idea how some people can keep riding bikes into 30's, 40's and beyond without at least some kind of core and upper body work, but still, I see it all the time.
I tried a few planks and variables, and was shaking like a dog crapping chicken bones after about 90-100 seconds.
(50yo, going on dead apparently)

I gave myself an Italian tuneup
Umm, should I even ask what that means?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
plunged.

Choosing between one of these soon...

I like the shape of them both but may prefer the top. :think:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

I thought about doing any kind of upper-body workout and my shoulder cried. I might just have to start focusing on doing leg, core, and cardio workouts with the hope that I don't lose my grip strength long-term.