Quantcast

^.* Third Slay *.^

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
No GMT?

Also my day started laughing there is some guy named Dave Grohl at my company thinking it must be annoying for him. Then I've opened the email and it was Dave Grohl. The content was typical covid wellness stuff though.

From good news pump tracks are randomly opening here. No idea what the rules for that are so I have to visit them to know if they are open.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
This is nothing I've seen some economists say that the global economy was on clay legs any way and we are in for a weave of events that will cause even more inequality and therefore polarization and populism. So it will be fun.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Work, store run, and well, that's about it. Not too much going on these days. Maybe go fetch ye old hardtail tomorrow from the parents and congratulate the old man on finally retiring.

I hope that you don't mean that you have contracted the virus...
You should know by now that @stevew would be an inhospitable host. I, for one, would pity the virus.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:rant:

All dressed up, ready to head up the hill for a bike ride at altitude. While making breakfast and coffee steam wand broke off in my hand while cleaning the espresso maker. Nothing like having to replace a kitchen appliance whilst on the brink of unemployment. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu.........................

And yes I've looked. It seems Cuisinart does not provide a replacement part as I've found several posts from people with the exact same issue. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu.........................

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

All dressed up, ready to head up the hill for a bike ride at altitude. While making breakfast and coffee steam wand broke off in my hand while cleaning the espresso maker. Nothing like having to replace a kitchen appliance whilst on the brink of unemployment. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu.........................

And yes I've looked. It seems Cuisinart does not provide a replacement part as I've found several posts from people with the exact same issue. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu.........................
Which model?

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Top o' the Mornin' to ya

Facemasks ordered are a day out still. In the past minute rain became so heavy it looks like nighttime, so it's back to bed after another cup of coffee? That's an honest question.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
40 degrees and raining this morning and I went for a 5K jog. Pretty awful running weather, but at least there were no other people out (I usually see a few). Taking care of some work stuff now and then will go pee in a cup.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

reason #1 i ponied up for a better espresso machine off the bat. my gaggia is 100% repairable with all replacement parts available.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Hey @eaterofdog ... would you care to help me learn how to seriously sharpen my kitchen knives?
Mostly you just need to spend some money on decent stones and practice. Most cheap/natural stones make it miserable because they take forever and need to be ground flat periodically. I am using one of these for my household knives https://smile.amazon.com/WE-ZHE-Sharpening-Stone-Double-Sided/dp/B07XB7BWNQ The ruby side is fast and will finish off kitchen knives just fine, unless they are in really bad shape. And it will last the rest of your life if you don't drop it. The marble side is pretty pointless unless you want geek out with a fully polished edge, but it provides support for the ruby. Don't buy a little one, check your sizes! Also that stone will need to be broken in, use an old knife for practice first.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Hey @eaterofdog ... would you care to help me learn how to seriously sharpen my kitchen knives?
What kind of knives do you have? German (Henckels, Wusthoff) tend to be thicker, softer, and sharpened at more obtuse angles. Japanese knives and steels tend to be thinner, harder, and more acute. An angle guide can be handy until you get the feel so you don't turn your German knives all Japanese and ruin the angles.

I assume you have, and regularly use, a steel/hone? That should prolong time in between sharpening. After all, sharpening removes material, hones straighten the edge that folds over with use. German vs Japanese comes into play here as well, German knives typically use a metal hone whereas Japanese knives typically use a ceramic.

Stone wise, my experience is something in the 400 range is great for heavy removal, 1000 good for refining, and 6000 is good for finishing on stones. Those 3 should cover most needs. Your knives should be pretty darn sharp coming off of that sequence, certainly enough to put back into action. If you are anal, or just want a smidge better performance, strop with an abrasive paste to polish the edge and refine a little further. Also, don't skip getting a flattening stone, those natural stones will wear unevenly and will mess up your edge if they aren't dressed, not to mention get clogged with metal.

Get a practice knife to experiment on as you will most likely fuck that first one up. It takes a bit to dial in the pressure and angle. Make sure to keep the stones wet during use, and soak them before use.

DIY sharpening is messy, but rewarding. Most people don't realize how dangerous dull knives are, and it's a pleasure to have a blade glide through foods without horsing it.

EDIT:
My favorite resource for sharpening related videos and materials is:

www.chefknivestogo.com

It's more catered towards Asian knives, but valuable none the less.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Work.

See if you can find a failed coffee maker you can buy online then pillage it for parts. I've done that a few times.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wife lost her job today and was told due to lack of sales due to corona. They chose to hire an additional sales dude just before the whole corona mess happened but now no marketing to support the sales team.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. I think shall mountain bike today, in violation of the “within 10 miles from home” advisory since that’s just stupid.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Seriously, what’s the rationale?

I’m talking about within single tank of gas, no stopping for food or the like.

Is it better to crowd Mathews/Winters instead?
i'm just harassing you because you think you're special and rules don't apply to you.

things are different where i am also. NJ has closed their parks altogether, and there are apparently a large number of NJ folks coming into PA to use our parks, making it harder for us as PA residents to keep proper distance in our own state parks (this is largely why i have not ventured out to any).

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
It’s guidance, not rules.

And when it’s kosher to go to the grocery unmasked (or with a t shirt wrapped around one’s face) but supposedly verboten to mountain bike more than 10 miles from home I question the wisdom of said guidance.

It’s not like we have a hospital resource constraint here. I avoided riding for a few weeks for fear of this, but our census is steady and we all are actively losing money (due to the canceled elective procedures and associated imaging).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

And when it’s kosher to go to the grocery unmasked (or with a t shirt wrapped around one’s face) but supposedly verboten to mountain bike more than 10 miles from home I question the wisdom of said guidance.

It’s not like we have a hospital resource constraint here. I avoided riding for a few weeks for fear of this, but our census is steady and we all are actively losing money (due to the canceled elective procedures and associated imaging).
fair enough but i'm still gonna harass you any opportunity i get.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA

There's not a whole lot of logic going around lately.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout