Quantcast

^.* Third Slay *.^

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
got a reaction from being in the sun from a med im on. holy shit my legs itch.
doing bong rips and planning a safe pickup from my fungus guy.
Still wondering if my econimcs will ever get stimulated.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It’s guidance, not rules.

And when it’s kosher to go to the grocery unmasked (or with a t shirt wrapped around one’s face) but supposedly verboten to mountain bike more than 10 miles from home I question the wisdom of said guidance.

It’s not like we have a hospital resource constraint here. I avoided riding for a few weeks for fear of this, but our census is steady and we all are actively losing money (due to the canceled elective procedures and associated imaging).
one other thing i forgot to mention here, my county currently has a mask mandate to enter shopping facilities. it's not optional here.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Just got everything ready to go for a quick ride.
Opened the door and it starts to rain.
How does it go from partly sunny to raining in the time it takes for me to get changed and pull out a helmet? Full cloud and not an inkling of sun in any direction. Seriously WTF - Apparently I am Rob McKenna with my own personal rain cloud - a Quasi Supernormal Incremental Precipitation Inducer.
:banghead:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Seriously, what’s the rationale?

I’m talking about within single tank of gas, no stopping for food or the like.

Is it better to crowd Mathews/Winters instead?
It's to provide SOME parameters. Because if they didn't provide any, EVERYBODY would just fucking drive all over hell's half acre and do whatever the fuck they want.

As it is, just a select few do whatever the fuck they want and drive all over hell's half acre, on the whole.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Just got everything ready to go for a quick ride.
Opened the door and it starts to rain.
How does it go from partly sunny to raining in the time it takes for me to get changed and pull out a helmet? Full cloud and not an inkling of sun in any direction. Seriously WTF - Apparently I am Rob McKenna with my own personal rain cloud - a Quasi Supernormal Incremental Precipitation Inducer.
:banghead:
Dude - you're in the midwest of Canada, aren't you? GTFO of here with your "surpised it's raining" horseshit. :busted: :D

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Dude - you're in the midwest of Canada, aren't you? GTFO of here with your "surpised it's raining" horseshit. :busted: :D
Southwestern Ontario, about half way between Buffalo and Detroit and just over 15 miles north of the lake.

And yes I know, April showers bring May flowers and all shit and most of the normal trails have too much clay and are unrideable, but please, at this point I will take a few miles of rail trail and playing on stuff to the side...

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What kind of knives do you have? German (Henckels, Wusthoff) tend to be thicker, softer, and sharpened at more obtuse angles. Japanese knives and steels tend to be thinner, harder, and more acute. An angle guide can be handy until you get the feel so you don't turn your German knives all Japanese and ruin the angles.

I assume you have, and regularly use, a steel/hone? That should prolong time in between sharpening. After all, sharpening removes material, hones straighten the edge that folds over with use. German vs Japanese comes into play here as well, German knives typically use a metal hone whereas Japanese knives typically use a ceramic.

Stone wise, my experience is something in the 400 range is great for heavy removal, 1000 good for refining, and 6000 is good for finishing on stones. Those 3 should cover most needs. Your knives should be pretty darn sharp coming off of that sequence, certainly enough to put back into action. If you are anal, or just want a smidge better performance, strop with an abrasive paste to polish the edge and refine a little further. Also, don't skip getting a flattening stone, those natural stones will wear unevenly and will mess up your edge if they aren't dressed, not to mention get clogged with metal.

Get a practice knife to experiment on as you will most likely fuck that first one up. It takes a bit to dial in the pressure and angle. Make sure to keep the stones wet during use, and soak them before use.

DIY sharpening is messy, but rewarding. Most people don't realize how dangerous dull knives are, and it's a pleasure to have a blade glide through foods without horsing it.

EDIT:
My favorite resource for sharpening related videos and materials is:

www.chefknivestogo.com

It's more catered towards Asian knives, but valuable none the less.
Some solid advise there dude. Lol at that much work though. I don’t break out the stones until they are close to needing a belt sander. Been using a set of ceramic rods since the early 80s. But yeah, sharpening with stones takes a good bit of practice to not booger your blade.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have a Spydero Sharpmaker. (ceramic rods)
It does ok, but I think it is more a case of the operator.
I just find is a bit hard to keep a constant angle.
I can get a knife sharp, but not cleanly cut all the hairs on my arm sharp.

Have always wondered about the cheats using the mechanical angle clamps, but it does seem to be a bit of a kludge covering up lack of skill.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have a Spydero Sharpmaker. (ceramic rods)
It does ok, but I think it is more a case of the operator.
I just find is a bit hard to keep a constant angle.
I can get a knife sharp, but not cleanly cut all the hairs on my arm sharp.

Have always wondered about the cheats using the mechanical angle clamps, but it does seem to be a bit of a kludge covering up lack of skill.
I want sharp(er) knives. And I have absolutely no qualms admitting to my lack of skillz. I'd love a system that I can use to keep my grocery store-bought knives sharp enough to use in my kitchen daily. But there's so much info out there that I find it nigh-on impossible to make sense of it. So I just give up and hope that my little ceramic-wheeled hand held thingy, and my honing steel keep working for the time being.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Interesting day...

Got a phone call from an engineer saying "hey.....we're shutting off the power in this building in 15 minutes, is there anything you need to do to prepare for that"? Um yah, how about at least letting everyone know about the power...all of the senior management was in the building and on a webex. That would have been a shitshow if they all got dropped, I should have not said anything.... :rofl:

An hour later while sitting in a different building, one of the transformers on the street blows up. Now power is out at this building and won't be back for another 3-4 hours.

FFS. :banghead::banghead:

This is probably all caused by there being no coffee at either of these buildings now. FACK.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also the mozzarella sticks @400 for 8 minutes in the air fryer are a win. Really happy with all the snacks I scored. While I miss my deep fryer, the air fryer does ok for non wet batters.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Did you have any of the infamous debonair suckdown, and if so did the new air thingy fix za issue?
I had a little stiction at the top of the stroke. But coming from many years of coil forks I always thought it was normal. The guys at S4 Suspension assured me it would be much better in the small bump and less fork dive. We'll see cause it's on my workbench. Just go it an hour ago.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Also the mozzarella sticks @400 for 8 minutes in the air fryer are a win. Really happy with all the snacks I scored. While I miss my deep fryer, the air fryer does ok for non wet batters.
Have you tried bread cheese? Skillet with a little MCT oil on medium heat after cutting up into sticks, few minutes on each side until browned up. That shit is delicious.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Ah, crap, kiddo’s camp in Colorado was cancelled for the summer. He was going to go for a month. He is going to be heartbroken, and we needed a break from his surly-ass ass. Hopefully the bike parks open, I have no idea what else to do with him.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ah, crap, kiddo’s camp in Colorado was cancelled for the summer. He was going to go for a month. He is going to be heartbroken, and we needed a break from his surly-ass ass. Hopefully the bike parks open, I have no idea what else to do with him.
i'm anticipating the same for the summer camps my kids are supposed to go. just day camps, but still.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Pushups.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Elder kid is supposedly doing a week long overnight science camp at Keystone this summer.

Seems a tiny bit unlikely at this point. :D

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Younger kids are going back to school next week in le kebekistan. They might want to call that a "science" camp.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Can of worms for Wifey's built-in, fireplace, move the TV project just got bigger. Speakers are now in the wrong place, so need to be moved, so drywall. Lights over fireplace are now in the way of the TV, so need to be moved, electrician and drywall. Outlets need to be moved to behind new TV location, so electrician. And they still need to be painted, so the painter too This is going to be $10-fucking-grand all-in.

This plus painting the house, plus panels (at least that's net positive), will negate selling the M, end of the world upfront tax credit, what I'm getting back for taxes (from the Bolt, which was already accounted for), and essential employee state-paid daycare plus a bit out of pocket. At least I'm supporting the fucking economy... At discount prices because everybody needs the jobs.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@stoney - that's a big bucketfull of NOPE

that said, was getting fuck all done for work while trying to enforce the 10yo doing his, so went into the garage and started sawing shit for upcoming screened in porch stair rebuild and redoing rotted trim around columns in the front.
and yeah, from the second they came home i always knew that the kids were gonna be home until september. summer was already my least favorite season since i couldn't just dump those fuckers at school for free all day...(and sneak off to the hills on occasion). so fuckity fuckity fuck. and FUCK.
Death Camp, 2020.