Quantcast

(Third Stay)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I got 222w, (95% of 234 avg). I guess I was hoping to see a better rating right off the block, as I have been doing more cycling in the last two years than I have the rest of my life combined. My w/kg is a bit off as I too am thicc (and have been working considerably at upper body weight training) but still...oh well. I'll try again in a couple of weeks on a weekend to see if I can get it up a bit just by knowing what I'm in for. My max HR went up too- I hit 188bpm which I didn't think was even possible for my age and activity level, but all of this is telling me that I can be working harder during my regular cycling sessions.
That's not bad! You might also try doing a ramp test to see if that is more to your liking. My impression of it is that it's much more unpleasant for the last three minutes or so you hold on for but is less mentally crushing than a 20 minute FTP test.

For you that'd be 5 minutes at 100W, then ramping up 5W every 12 seconds until you can take no more (then immediately drop to 100W again or some other light cooldown––no fixed duration). Take the highest 60 seconds' average power, multiply by 72% (some use 75%, potentially optimistic) and there's your FTP estimate.

Re "working hard during [your] regular cycling sessions" maybe not? There is evidence at least for running that a larger volume of predominantly low intensity (zone 2 by power or heart rate) training leads to better results, and it is much more pleasant, honestly. I'm shooting for 80% zone 1/2 hours and 20% zone 4-7 hours these days, as little as possible in zone 3 (by power).

The OG peloton used speed and resistance (or cadence and resistance, something like that) to calculate work and therefore power. The nu G peloton has an actual power meter. I can only imagine the sad sacks that upgraded only to find out their FTP plummeted.
New one is a bit more accurate but old one not bad at all. See the Power Accuracy Analysis section (sidebar links to it) here:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
According my my Garmin app, I have an FTP of 302 watts:

1) How the hell is this calculated? I never even knew such a thing existed until I went and looked for it. I've never done any power test BS, and don't even think I have the needed hardware to do so? Maybe I do?
2) Am I still fat?
3) 2 is yes

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
you'll just spray paint over the rust on yours
That'll be how we'll roll here in CT vs. CO

that year denver had about 2-3 feet of snow on the weekend shrub made his move in the iraq war....the amount of snow i shoveled off of my employers deck at the time created a pile of snow just about as high as the deck....
I recall XC skiing to work a couple days with that one.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's not bad! You might also try doing a ramp test to see if that is more to your liking. My impression of it is that it's much more unpleasant for the last three minutes or so you hold on for but is less mentally crushing than a 20 minute FTP test.

For you that'd be 5 minutes at 100W, then ramping up 5W every 12 seconds until you can take no more (then immediately drop to 100W again or some other light cooldown––no fixed duration). Take the highest 60 seconds' average power, multiply by 72% (some use 75%, potentially optimistic) and there's your FTP estimate.

Re "working hard during [your] regular cycling sessions" maybe not? There is evidence at least for running that a larger volume of predominantly low intensity (zone 2 by power or heart rate) training leads to better results, and it is much more pleasant, honestly. I'm shooting for 80% zone 1/2 hours and 20% zone 4-7 hours these days, as little as possible in zone 3 (by power).

New one is a bit more accurate but old one not bad at all. See the Power Accuracy Analysis section (sidebar links to it) here:

Interesting, and thanks for the info. When I say "not working hard", i mean that my tabata/HIIT sessions are probably done at zone 4-5 based on power/HR I was seeing during this test, and maybe I can push that further so I'm in zone 6 or even 7 in order to push strength/anaerobic capacity. Maybe I just need MOAR riding. Either way, this is pretty fun and I'm in better shape than I've ever been, so it should be an interesting riding season.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I got 222w, (95% of 234 avg). I guess I was hoping to see a better rating right off the block, as I have been doing more cycling in the last two years than I have the rest of my life combined. My w/kg is a bit off as I too am thicc (and have been working considerably at upper body weight training) but still...oh well. I'll try again in a couple of weeks on a weekend to see if I can get it up a bit just by knowing what I'm in for. My max HR went up too- I hit 188bpm which I didn't think was even possible for my age and activity level, but all of this is telling me that I can be working harder during my regular cycling sessions.
last ride i did that i recorded power (i have to use a separate app from my garmin) was an average of 200 watts for a ~90 minute / 26 mile ride at a very moderate effort. is your normalized power higher or lower than your average?

i should probably do an FTP just out of curiosity.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Interesting, and thanks for the info. When I say "not working hard", i mean that my tabata/HIIT sessions are probably done at zone 4-5 based on power/HR I was seeing during this test, and maybe I can push that further so I'm in zone 6 or even 7 in order to push strength/anaerobic capacity. Maybe I just need MOAR riding. Either way, this is pretty fun and I'm in better shape than I've ever been, so it should be an interesting riding season.
Ah, got it. Technically, Dr. Tabata defined the intervals as being at 170% VO2 max! Reference:

https://researchgate.net/file.PostFileLoader.html?id=5773f191615e27e2e9037031&assetKey=AS%3A378346627190785%401467216273883

They are just unbelievably hard when done at that true intensity at 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
last ride i did that i recorded power (i have to use a separate app from my garmin) was an average of 200 watts for a ~90 minute / 26 mile ride at a very moderate effort. is your normalized power higher or lower than your average?

i should probably do an FTP just out of curiosity.
shrug.ascii

This is my very first ride with a power meter. I have literally no idea how much power I've been putting out until now. I can look at Strava's estimation, but I'm not sure that's really a useful metric. This is also my first FTP test so I probably could have paced myself better and scored "better" simply by testing familiarity. I also don't know that my power meter is fully calibrated as there are multiple crank length adjustments and I set the whole thing up in the dark...but honestly it's not unreasonable to learn that my FTP is not on super-turbo-pro levels, as disappointing as that may be!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
That's not bad!
Choosing this one to quote... and to corroborate. I know a lot less about this garbage than Doc @Toshi it seems, but from what I have read any FTP ~200 or thereabouts is pretty par for the course for someone who rides a fair bit but has never done any focused training. Non-riders tend to be lower than that. So, don't sweat it too much, @Sandwich... doing the FTP thing is just to get a baseline to then do the work from. It's all relative.

Mine is currently around 225W, based on a 20 minute test a few months back that had me at 214W, then subsequent Zwift auto-calculations. I clock in at 91-93 kg so make of that what you will. It's intredasting to me how this nonsense translates (or doesn't) into speed out on the trail.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This sounds like a discussion about BHP vs WHP, but noone has the WHP part of it.
Westy and I had a discussion of % power loss due to chainwheel/sprocket size and choice of lube a few years back. We seemed to conclude that there is a measurable difference but negligible given overall losses on the order of perhaps 3%.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Got home to a bloody mess last night, thankfully the house is mostly tile and the dog hadnt wondered much into the bedrooms. I guess some swelling has caused her to bleed and she dripped blood all over the house. Managed to get her pseudo-bandaged up for the night, and got better stuff this morning. One cat kept running through it, the other kept trying to drink the wound cleaning water... little psychos.

Now work.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Huh.... Just discovered my Fenix has an FTP test built right into the activities menu. Cause y'all got me curious
Do you has a power meter?
Maybe it estimates power Strava style by style of bike (and presumed aerodynamics) + entered rider + bike weight?

More on this: