Quantcast

***Thirstday GMT***

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
IT sales people are like those sketchy used car dealers.

Promise the world, say yes to everything, under deliver, disappear and then show up to collect payment - and then try to sell you the solution for something that they said was possible during the first pitch.
This one's better - a mix of IT and marketing. :dead:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So for whatever reason, USAA has a 2 step verification where they text you a code to verify your identity. Fine. Then during the call, she says there is a note to update my info. Fine.

"Can you verify your phone number?"

The one you texted me a verification code to? Isn't that code sufficient by itself? If that isn't actually my number, how would I have been able to verify my identity with said code?

Why am I the only one finding this hilarious?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So for whatever reason, USAA has a 2 step verification where they text you a code to verify your identity. Fine. Then during the call, she says there is a note to update my info. Fine.

"Can you verify your phone number?"

The one you texted me a verification code to? Isn't that code sufficient by itself? If that isn't actually my number, how would I have been able to verify my identity with said code?

Why am I the only one finding this hilarious?
I had someone call me a few weeks ago trying to sell me some sort of identity theft protection yadda yadda. They proceeded to ask me questions about my identity.

I did a double take and told them nope, I'm not giving you anything. Told them you can email or mail me some info. They just didn't get it... They kept trying to tell me they were a partner with my bank etc etc.

Even if it was real, which I have no clue, why would they ask for personally identifiable information over the phone. :crazy::rofl:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Wife is at home grabbing dogs, pictures and meds. Kid stayed at school. Wind is blowing away from the school at the moment. West winds should keep us safe for the moment, but if it shifts south we might be fucked. Not even a mile from the fire.
Sorry to hear Pesqueeb, keeping fingers, toes and legs crossed. :(

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Wife is at home grabbing dogs, pictures and meds. Kid stayed at school. Wind is blowing away from the school at the moment. West winds should keep us safe for the moment, but if it shifts south we might be fucked. Not even a mile from the fire.
Shit, best of luck!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I had someone call me a few weeks ago trying to sell me some sort of identity theft protection yadda yadda. They proceeded to ask me questions about my identity.

I did a double take and told them nope, I'm not giving you anything. Told them you can email or mail me some info. They just didn't get it... They kept trying to tell me they were a partner with my bank etc etc.

Even if it was real, which I have no clue, why would they ask for personally identifiable information over the phone. :crazy::rofl:
my standard answer for calls like that is this is are you coming to clean the shitter....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Shelter in place order given for the airport in Colorado Springs. Yikes. Hope @Pesqueeb and his fam are safe.

Girls are at home now. Wife walked the dogs up the creek and mopping up was under way. Airport fire is a separate incident. All air traffic has been stopped and they aren't letting anyone in or out. What an amazing day to be 5 hours from home. :twitch:

IMG_20220512_171126.jpg

IMG_20220512_174553.jpg

IMG_20220512_171424.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i usually also bring a beer or two for the shop's beer fridge.
Two years back I needed seals pressed into the lowers for my dh fork. Didn't have the tools or a reasonable facsimile. Local shop not only had the tools, but agreed to do it on a Saturday afternoon in July. When I picked them up I paid and left a nice six pack in a brown paper bag on the counter.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Two years back I needed seals pressed into the lowers for my dh fork. Didn't have the tools or a reasonable facsimile. Local shop not only had the tools, but agreed to do it on a Saturday afternoon in July. When I picked them up I paid and left a nice six pack in a brown paper bag on the counter.
i'm not a huge presence on social media but i also try to shout out/recommend the good local shops whenever i can on local fb groups, etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm not a huge presence on social media but i also try to shout out/recommend the good local shops whenever i can on local fb groups, etc.
Yup. This is my local go to shop. Independent. Well trained staff, well equipped with tools. They all ride. Organized a premier of "return to earth" at the local Indy theater when it came out.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Post Covid I have changed my shop rate to 15/hr for a basic tune-up and parts installation to $40/hr. I have work well into June and July. New spot is cool for customers. They can pick up their bikes and test ride in a safe space. $27.50 a bike so far. 2 restorations a week. The restorations are so much fun. It's my wheelhouse. Kid Bennie is like sponge. He is bringing the customers in also. His friends work for free and for stand time and parts at cost. Wheelie practice is on hold for now. His girlfriend has a garden nearby. I take naps there during the day.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Post Covid I have changed my shop rate to 15/hr for a basic tune-up and parts installation to $40/hr. I have work well into June and July. New spot is cool for customers. They can pick up their bikes and test ride in a safe space. $27.50 a bike so far. 2 restorations a week. The restorations are so much fun. It's my wheelhouse. Kid Bennie is like sponge. He is bringing the customers in also. His friends work for free and for stand time and parts at cost. Wheelie practice is on hold for now. His girlfriend has a garden nearby. I take naps there during the day.
Winning at life there, Mr. Camb.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The amount of cycling activities I participate in is directly proportional to my happiness. My health is also in the fold. I am proud to say I am doing well.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The amount of cycling activities I participate in is directly proportional to my happiness. My health is also in the fold. I am proud to say I am doing well.
Same, except I haven’t been riding much lately, may call in to work angry and go for a pedal.

Oh wait, never mind, dryer shit the bed so I guess fixing that is my next task, goddamnit