Quantcast

This App Could Be Handy In The Backcountry

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not sure where to put this...is it 'what is wrong' or 'what is right' with the industry?
It's actually pretty cool, but a little 'Skynet'...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/specializeds-new-helmets-can-text-for-help-after-a-crash.html
I don't think it's bad, but in some cases completely useless as mentioned in the comments; ie relies on your cell phone not being dead, having a signal etc. And the subscription service just seems asshattery to me....I assume it just uses your existing cell plan to send out a text? So you're paying to access their app, which probably sucks anyways and because its tracking location and stuff, is it secure?

I for one always have one and sometimes two cell phones on me during rides. But they are almost always on airplane mode.

And then there are the false positives... I'd rather just tell someone where and when I'm going. If I don't come back, then send out someone to look. Or leave me to die (probably already dead anyways), whatever floats your boat.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Here's mine. Someone just got plucked off an island when their plane went down with one of these over the weekend. This sends GPS directly to the NOAA SARSAT which directly alerts the regional rescue coordination center, no third parties, no cell phones, no subscriptions. It does require me to activate it, but I'll take that bet for now.
01d3bdfbff9e8a9721a6929cb27c9baef2a3e38f72.jpg

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
These apps should automatically PayPal the S&R team when summoning them on avoidable rescues.

Here's mine. Someone just got plucked off an island when their plane went down with one of these over the weekend. This sends GPS directly to the NOAA SARSAT which directly alerts the regional rescue coordination center, no third parties, no cell phones, no subscriptions. It does require me to activate it, but I'll take that bet for now.
View attachment 131709
Over time the antenna tends to pop open; I have a piece of Velcro around the device to discourage that.

I got it 'cause V and I were riding a bunch in the desert with no cellular coverage whatsoever.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Over time the antenna tends to pop open; I have a piece of Velcro around the device to discourage that.

I got it 'cause V and I were riding a bunch in the desert with no cellular coverage whatsoever.
I wrapped mine up in an old sock and taped it, so it's a bit padded and the antenna can't pop out.