Quantcast

This bike has EVERYTHING you want!!

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
zedro said:
fitting a 132mm hub into 135mm dropouts isnt hard, just add a 3mm spacer. Disk brake adapters can be made if you have the ressources to make a bike anyways.
True, but it could also be a 150? considering the size of that rear link pivot ... ?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
dhpimp said:
True, but it could also be a 150? considering the size of that rear link pivot ... ?
the bike was obviously designed around a particular geared hub, i dont know why you're trying to speculate on a few millimeters. How do you know whatever disk conversion he made doesnt widen the whole hub?

theres no way you can claim its not absolutly hub X based on that.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
VooDoo said:
Two shocks?
On a truck we call them "show trucks", a bike? "show bike".
Unneccessary.
well with 300mm of rear travel with an assumed 2.75" stroke, it gives a 4.30 leverage ratio, so at that travel it would be necessary to have two shocks to operate decently. Although its adjustable down to 180mm travel where you see the single shock setup.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
JAB said:
And why even bother with the Truvativ Bash guard?
kona bash gaurd silly, and you can still hit that ring on something and bend it, and the that would be bad, so i think it does need a bash gaurd

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
from german: The newest caper from the house Richi - the hulk! Downhill and Freeriderahmen no compromises know! Moto CROSSES linking or twin Shock (2 absorbers!), all angles variable, spring travel of 180 - 300mm, Marzocchi supermonster suited, circuit over transmission hub. No pedal setback, adjustable seat cathedral, torque support optionally and much much more...

Racer-X

Monkey
Oct 16, 2004
SNOWSHOE
Transcend said:
pointless and looks like it was made in a garage. Nuff said.

i agree,that is the largest amount of useless metal i've ever seen in one picture,BUT...

it definitely doesn't look like it was made in a garage. period. even though it may be the heaviest,worst-performing,piece of junk bike ever made,it looks like there was some serious time and effort put into designing it and manufacturing it. the welds themsevles and the way the bike comes together (bolts,links,etc.) looks fairly decent even for being three times as much as what's necessary!

my .02 cents that no one cares about.

EDIT: this post was concering the dual-shock frame. the single-shock frame looks a little shoddier.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Racer-X said:
EDIT: this post was concering the dual-shock frame. the single-shock frame looks a little shoddier.
its the same frame, the only difference is in dual shock setup the seat tower brace is a single spar between the shocks.

setup in say a 9" mode with single shock, the frame is far from pointless (?). Hell, it's alot more 'together' than a Nicolai, or some other bikes.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Racer-X said:
it definitely doesn't look like it was made in a garage. period. even though it may be the heaviest,worst-performing,piece of junk bike ever made,it looks like there was some serious time and effort put into designing it and manufacturing it. the welds themsevles and the way the bike comes together (bolts,links,etc.) looks fairly decent even for being three times as much as what's necessary!

Actually, most of those parts look like they were made by a hamfisted machinist with nothing more than a manual mill. Notice all the corners that have 45 deg chamfers on them instead of a radius. The only reason you would do this is if you didn't have a CNC and didn't want to take the time to set it up on a manual. So, I think I could do a better job in my garage.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
buildyourown said:
Actually, most of those parts look like they were made by a hamfisted machinist with nothing more than a manual mill. Notice all the corners that have 45 deg chamfers on them instead of a radius. The only reason you would do this is if you didn't have a CNC and didn't want to take the time to set it up on a manual. So, I think I could do a better job in my garage.
well whats odd is the shock linkages and frame pieces are nicely made CNC stuff, but just the dropouts and floater looks manual and lazy since you can at least put the corners to a belt sander. Those could be just ptoto-pieces for that hub maybe?

the bike is still prettier than Frasiers filing cabinet :D

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
If we're saying this thing looks a lot more 'together' compared to a Nicolai frame, we're saying it's a lot more 'together' than 90% of the frames out there.

I still like this thing, or the idea. Might look a little better if it was more refined but that's how it goes with one-offs. If they can put two shocks in there to get 12" of travel, they can put a big 3.5" stroke single shock to get a decent amount of suspension.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
ChrisRobin said:
If we're saying this thing looks a lot more 'together' compared to a Nicolai frame, we're saying it's a lot more 'together' than 90% of the frames out there.
was talking about design cleanliness and such...oo wait, dont wanna offend the Nicolai cult :evil:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
zedro said:
was talking about design cleanliness and such...oo wait, dont wanna offend the Nicolai cult :evil:
Well maybe if you're looking at the Nucleon series, yeah...

Nah, don't worry, the Nicolai cult (if there is one), is way more layed back compared to the Avy cult.

Grimey2

Chimp
Feb 26, 2005
Why does it need the singulator? Why isn't the singulator pushing up?

If you are planning on using a foot of travel, you would need 2 shocks for rebound control.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Thanks for posting those pics Zedro, sweet. I'm really liking this bike. I feel like making my own. I'm even more sure about the Nexus 7. Notice the single shifter cable routed to the right side of the hub. He could switch to the 8 for better seals and bearings.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Transcend said:
Pointless
Think about it. I personnaly have never heard of Richi, and i suspect there are others like me (has anyone actually heard of them or am i just in the dark) so if they can make a bike that gets them a ton of response on German sites as well as english forums, its not really pointless. I have to admit that dont really think that it would be a very practical bike, but id still like to ride it.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
escapeartist said:
Think about it. I personnaly have never heard of Richi, and i suspect there are others like me (has anyone actually heard of them or am i just in the dark) so if they can make a bike that gets them a ton of response on German sites as well as english forums, its not really pointless. I have to admit that dont really think that it would be a very practical bike, but id still like to ride it.
It's because North Americans are brainwashed on certain brands and are close minded. As soon as they see something different they start bashing it. I've been guilty of that myself.

Here's an example, people used to think Iron Horse was a Walmart brand that was crap...now everyone wants one.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
ChrisRobin said:
It's because North Americans are brainwashed on certain brands and are close minded. As soon as they see something different they start bashing it. I've been guilty of that myself.

Here's an example, people used to think Iron Horse was a Walmart brand that was crap...now everyone wants one.
I rezemble that remark

and Iron Horse used to be a Walmart brand and yes it WAS crap
glad they stepped up and did a fine job of it :D

richi

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Germany
Hallo you Americans,

the bike is not from Poland but from Potsdam, Germany

The frame on the pictures has a Nexus 7 with a disc adapter.
(you can get such an adapter in Germany)

A Rohloff or any other hub is possible aswell.

This frame is not produced in just one arrangement but the way you want it.

So you can get it with one shock or two, for a 135mm hub or 165mm through axle.

I am going to post more pictures soon

You can see it on german Downhillraces or on Eurobike.

Have a good day

Richi

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
You guys are sooooooo F'ing opinionated. How many guys posting have designed and built a bike of their own that didnt have any flaws? Griping about the machining, give it a rest and be supportive of new innovations, a little open-mindedness goes a long way. History shows that anything that evokes such strong reactions can eventually become accepted.

This bike looks awesome and is obviously PURPOSE built. It is a super mutant bighit bike. As an aspiring designer I am humbled by this bike and would gladly ride it.

You guys remember the little girl in kindergarten you punched because secretly you had a crush on her........

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
zedro said:
from german: The newest caper from the house Richi - the hulk! Downhill and Freeriderahmen no compromises know! Moto CROSSES linking or twin Shock (2 absorbers!), all angles variable, spring travel of 180 - 300mm, Marzocchi supermonster suited, circuit over transmission hub. No pedal setback, adjustable seat cathedral, torque support optionally and much much more...

I want one of those with 2 Avy shocks !!!

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
ChrisRobin said:
Well maybe if you're looking at the Nucleon series, yeah...

Nah, don't worry, the Nicolai cult (if there is one), is way more layed back compared to the Avy cult.

Yeah...the Avy cult is aggressive....we bite...