Quantcast

This bike is rad

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
What's up with the shaping on the TT? Does that help with stiffness?

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I presume to make room for the rider's knees and not compromise stiffness.

No bike pic thread is complete w/o: Looks Flexy. ;)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
When the bike is correctly assembled it looks a lot less weird.

It's a straight up the hill straight down the hill specific crit bike. Some dude in Bermuda. Sounds rough.

The formig the best way we could think of to add as much lateral stiffness in the front end of possible while still being able to have your knees clear the toptube. Since the headtube is so long we can't rely as much on weld overlap/etc.
Also, it's getting a sweet paint job that is going to really utilize the hell out of the shape. Like a motha****in freight train.
To give you some perspective we often use it as a downtube.

The downtube is a 2" bi-axially ovalized unit. PF30bb(I frikkin hate those things after building a bunch of bikes with them), Tapered enve fork up front. Rear end is tapered bent and bi-axially ovalized 7/8ths.
The stays are 1" with a single oval.
Our standard 1" hooded dropouts complete the package.
FTW forms all of the tubes by hand. It's pretty fun to watch.
Frank had to talk me out of using one inch square tubing like we use on the DS bikes.
It would have been so gnarly. The only weight goal was to keep it under 4 pounds. I think we could have made it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So what would happen if you tried to braze/bond a flat sheet of alu or other material inside a tube to improve uni-axial stiffness?

Edit: The more I think about it the dumber it is but could make for some stealthiness.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So what would happen if you tried to braze/bond a flat sheet of alu or other material inside a tube to improve uni-axial stiffness?

Edit: The more I think about it the dumber it is but could make for some stealthiness.
Seems like it'd be easier to draw tubes in that profile to start with rather than trying to get something attached the full length of the tube.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

Italians tried all sorts of stuff like that in the 90's. It doesn't do anything. Rad idea though.
(I don't know what uni-axial means, btw)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Ok, just did a little crude approximation, adding a rib of thickness equal to the wall thickness for some pretty typical bike tubing makes it about 18% stiffer along the axis of the rib, but adding that same amount of material to the tube walls directly makes it more like 26% stiffer, and not just in one axis, so it's kinda pointless. Presumably if you want to tune stiffness in different directions you're presumably better off ovalizing tubes, though I'm too lazy to calculate that one right now.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ok, just did a little crude approximation, adding a rib of thickness equal to the wall thickness for some pretty typical bike tubing makes it about 18% stiffer along the axis of the rib, but adding that same amount of material to the tube walls directly makes it more like 26% stiffer, and not just in one axis, so it's kinda pointless. Presumably if you want to tune stiffness in different directions you're presumably better off ovalizing tubes, though I'm too lazy to calculate that one right now.
Glad to see that edu-macation is doing you some good (has practical applications).
;)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I will have no discussion of percentages in this thread.
:rofl:

I'm with you that the typical "Standard XYZ is ___% ____er than standard ABC" stuff is typically bull**** but this is just some really simple mechanical engineering... :D

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
We're putting a pretty rad paint job on it too.
I have until Wednesday to figure out what it's going to be. My local hot-rod shop is pretty dialed....
It's good when investment bankers trickle down on me.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Looks quite interesting.

Question: why a PFBB30 vs. regular BB30? Is it for ease of manufacture? Availability of PF30 shells?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I think paint is too expensive, but the fact that the bikes leave the house with a higher ticket price is good. We're even with a steel I.F. now.
If only I had the mental abilities to efficiently run a business!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I need to see parts on it to "tie the room together"
Just got orders for three more of them.
The guy with the bike above wants us to keep it for NAHBS.
It's going to cost so much money but the stuff we'll be bringing to the show is going to be sick.
All FTW cares about is winning that ****.