Quantcast

This boggles my mind.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
ok, I've been wondering this for some time now and I'm just hoping someone can answer this question for me.

Ok, single crown forks look like this:

with a evident singlecrown.

however dual crown have three thingy's yet they are still called dual crown

Am I missing something, or am I just stupid. Because by my common sense I would think they should be called triple crown forks.

**I know it's pointless, I'm just curious**

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
are you on acid? you have things confused. the terms are dual crown and triple clamp. dual crown because there are 2 crowns, upper and lower. triple clamp because each crown clamps onto 3 things: steerer tube, left stanchion, right stanchion.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
jonKranked gets the cookie!

A dual crown fork is also known as a double "tripleclamp" fork. As one crown is a "tripleclamp".

Mike

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
See the black things in this picture? Those are crowns, and there are two of them.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
OK, so what do you call the part of the fork that is just above the tire? The U-shaped section that is connected to the lowers? Is there a name for that?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

A. Steerer Tube-portion of the fork that goes through the frame
B. Crown Race Seat-enlarged area of the steerer tube where the headset crown race is pressed on
C. Cap-top of the hollow stanchion, can be a simple dust cap, a knob that adjusts compression or preload, or an air cap with a valve to add or relieve pressure from an air spring.
D. Fork Crown-connects the stanchions to the each other and the steerer tube.
E. Stanchion - stationary fork leg connected to the crown
F. Brace or Brake Arch-spans the slider assembly from left to right, allows the slider to act as one piece and provides lateral stiffness
G. Wiper, or Seal-prevents dirt or other contaminants from entering the fork.
H. Brake stud for linear pull brakes-provides a mounting point for rim brakes. May be eliminated on Disc only forks.
I. Slider-the lower fork assembly,
J. Drop-out-mounting area for the front wheel, or front axle.
K. Disc Brake Mount-mounting point for a hub brake. There are 2 main types of disc mount: IS (international standard) shown, or Post Mount. See the disc brake section of this document for more information.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
habitatxskate said:
some don't have it

i <3 shivers
No need for an arch on inverted forks because the uppers are held tight with two mount points each. You could get away without a brake arch on stanard forks, but you would get a lot more flex and it would track like crap.