Quantcast

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I'm really surprised more people aren't afraid of what'll happen to their carbon DH bikes when they eat it in a rock garden. If it weren't for that I'd be all over some crabon.
properly built (ie, w/ adequate thickness), carbon can easily have better impact strength than aluminum at a given weight. I'm on my 5th year on my lahar, and the thing has survived all sorts of rock strikes, crashes & scrapes unscathed (yes, even the super thin flex stays & low hanging pivot have been scraped over & bashed into lots of rocks w/o fail). as a point of comparison, this frame weighs 9 lbs flat with shock (no gearhub or floater though). I'm a big believer in the stuff. in all likelihood, a good chunk of high end dh frames will eventually be made of the stuff given the advantages.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Haha one would think you'd be more happy with that V10C sitting in your garage. Go ride it or something.
Moar antagonism fail.

Im riding my ancient VPF until all the shiny noo stuff shows up for the V10c which sits in my living room - no fancy new fangled garages.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Let me know when you hit your aluminium frame with a hammer. Would love to see that. Seriously.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Toowoomba-Australia/Tramontane-Cycles/106494828315 Goto my videos.
So after I performed this test I sectioned the frame (jigsawed it in half) to inspect the inside (as anyone who knows a thing or 2 knows it is what you can't see on a carbon frame that is scariest).
No problems at all.
V10C with its similar wall thicknesses would fair the same I would guess.
By the way, my frames are thick, and all the structural bits are protected by a layer of "absorbing material" and then a further 2 layers of cloth. Rocks dont scare me.
Sorry for the spam.
And before you pay out on my video.
Yes I had been drinking :)
Yes the table is a bit bouncy
Yes I could have used a bigger hammer.

But all the same, try that with a ally frame.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I didn't see this frame commin' :O :)
I'm a big fan of CF frames. I like mode V10c than Fury, though. New Antidote is as pretty as SC. I hope it has been tested properly and will have price a the similar level as SC.
I'd like to see more CF DH bikes from big manufacturer, such as Specialized, Trek and Giant.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
:eek: Polish guys are progressing much faster than some US/Asia guys ? Nevermind, I want that bike! Norbar, how has the current Antidote frame been selling? I didn't see much adverts and news about it since the nasty split with english distributor.

brzoskwin

Chimp
Mar 29, 2011
a bit of specifics
Frame have a lifetime warranty for first buyer, alloy version the same.

flat bar weight 246grams 780mm wide
IS stem weights 96 grams with Ti bolts :)

brzoskwin

Chimp
Mar 29, 2011
I didn't see this frame commin' :O :)
I'm a big fan of CF frames. I like mode V10c than Fury, though. New Antidote is as pretty as SC. I hope it has been tested properly and will have price a the similar level as SC.
I'd like to see more CF DH bikes from big manufacturer, such as Specialized, Trek and Giant.
Antidote is small manufacturer making frames under order.

Frames are available
Antidote have distributors in France Germany Spain and Australia from what I know.
for other country best is to write info@antidotebikes.com and you can order directly.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
brzoskwin, can you give us more details about the h-bar? Angles? Can it be cut down?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Toowoomba-Australia/Tramontane-Cycles/106494828315 Goto my videos.
So after I performed this test I sectioned the frame (jigsawed it in half) to inspect the inside (as anyone who knows a thing or 2 knows it is what you can't see on a carbon frame that is scariest).
No problems at all.
V10C with its similar wall thicknesses would fair the same I would guess.
By the way, my frames are thick, and all the structural bits are protected by a layer of "absorbing material" and then a further 2 layers of cloth. Rocks dont scare me.
Sorry for the spam.
And before you pay out on my video.
Yes I had been drinking :)
Yes the table is a bit bouncy
Yes I could have used a bigger hammer.

But all the same, try that with a ally frame.

Here they use Vectran to protect the frames.

btw. With that I know a smart guy - go to dirt one issue back and read what leading bike eng. think about carbon. Easton guys are prob the best material guys in the business (not only bike as from what Ive been told their bow arrows are also bombproof ;) ) and if they are for it Im for it over some mythical mr. smarty pants.

140mm version

170mm - 14.7kg.

Light 170mm frame with full bos susp? Who do I have to kill ;)

Last edited:

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
any info on the pricing of these frames? weird, i read the dirt article on the antidote proto some time ago and thought they never got beyond proto stage.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
any info on the pricing of these frames? weird, i read the dirt article on the antidote proto some time ago and thought they never got beyond proto stage.
Nope. The UK distributor who used to spam RM with bad grammar flaked but the company is still there. 2190 euro I think was the price for the alu version.

@Brzoskwin - I forgot about the warranty. Now I have no worries ;)

brzoskwin

Chimp
Mar 29, 2011
The bar can be cut to +- 740mm. back sweep 8,25 deg and up sweep 4.0 deg
bar is also carbon and vectran composite

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
:eek: Polish guys are progressing much faster than some US/Asia guys ? Nevermind, I want that bike! Norbar, how has the current Antidote frame been selling? I didn't see much adverts and news about it since the nasty split with english distributor.
Very small numbers for now.

As for the bar. 8deg for a wide bar? If its carbon + vectran Im really interested but Id like more backsweep in wide bars tbh. 9 is standard but 10 deg gravity flat felt really nice.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought these guys failed miserably to actually bring there bikes to market (aka the bad-grammar-distributor in Uk-land). Are they trying to pull an evil and go carbon for the paint is dry on their ****ty aluminum bikes?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I thought these guys failed miserably to actually bring there bikes to market (aka the bad-grammar-distributor in Uk-land). Are they trying to pull an evil and go carbon for the paint is dry on their ****ty aluminum bikes?
Their bikes have been in a few places for a year in alu. No cracking problems known like with the evil. The only negative was the crazy distributor but its not like bigger companies dont have retards for distris too ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
didn't know whether it was on his end or theirs, but he sure made it sound like they were the bad guy.

Dig the bike, carbon sure is neat....but I guess I'm the only person that thinks DH bikes should be LESS expensive, not more. I can't understand why, say, a high end trail bike costs $1000 less than a high end dh frame, when the only difference as of late is the amount of travel...

For a tiny company, sure, but for a full-line trek or giant or santa cruz, the price differential makes you think...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can't understand why, say, a high end trail bike costs $1000 less than a high end dh frame, when the only difference as of late is the amount of travel...

For a tiny company, sure, but for a full-line trek or giant or santa cruz, the price differential makes you think...
production quantities.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
by the looks of it, i like the alu frame a lot. but i´ve never seen it in the flesh, so that doesn´t account for anything. and the website sucks, there is nothing to be seen, no geo, etc.
so until now some small polish company is in the process of putting some protos through their paces, no info on availability, pricing, warranty, weight, etc...

relevant to my interests -> yes
am i interested -> yes, but no...

brzoskwin

Chimp
Mar 29, 2011
the website can't sucks! it dose not exist in this moment :D hope it will start this week.
Alloy frame and composite have Lifetime warranty for first buyer so do not be afraid;)

I think the kevlar has a tendency to deform plastically in a way that doesnt recover enough, where the CF does but has a greater chance of shear and penetration.

Maybe a hybrid, an 'alloy' cretaed in a garage somewhere in PA.
hahahaha get out of here. I think you should meet a smart guy and talk to him.

Anyway I'm curious about how the carbon v10's and such will live out their lives. Composites are no more abrasion resistant than the materials they are comprised of, which means the skin of your CF bike is only as tough as the resin. If it uses enough laminations you can run the frame over with a truck, but it's still a brittle plastic bike, and clattering on the rocks is going to chip it and scrape it and have tufts of fraying fabric sticking out all over the place. Maybe it'll be fine to ride that way but resale value?

The rear triangle on the V10 is aluminum because it's going to hit more rocks and things than the main triangle, end of story. I still hit plenty of rocks w/ my main triangle though, so I don't think it's for me.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
hahahaha get out of here. I think you should meet a smart guy and talk to him.

Anyway I'm curious about how the carbon v10's and such will live out their lives. Composites are no more abrasion resistant than the materials they are comprised of, which means the skin of your CF bike is only as tough as the resin. If it uses enough laminations you can run the frame over with a truck, but it's still a brittle plastic bike, and clattering on the rocks is going to chip it and scrape it and have tufts of fraying fabric sticking out all over the place. Maybe it'll be fine to ride that way but resale value?

The rear triangle on the V10 is aluminum because it's going to hit more rocks and things than the main triangle, end of story. I still hit plenty of rocks w/ my main triangle though, so I don't think it's for me.
Really? Troll account for some rewind? What a fantastic repeat of fluffy nonsense.

Science and reality disagree with you.

Sheesh, who left the gate open.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Good point. Peaty and Minnaar never hit any rocks all season while they were testing the frame.

I'm wasn't going to dignify that, but I need to up my post count, apparently. I'm sorry for coming across as antagonistic, I don't know you. Maybe you were saying something that made sense and it just came out wrong. That's as much slack I can give.

Why defend one material so zealously? I like carbon a lot, I think it has a place on bikes, up to trail bikes, even slack ones. I'm very hard on my DH equipment though, and carbon would be a bad investment, personally. Science and reality say it's plastic, and while the structural qualities can be stellar, the durability and finish will always be plastic. I'm not saying it will break necessarily, I'm saying it will get chewed up. The end.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
production quantities.
This. Trail bikes sell in more volume. Thus tooling, development, etc costs get spread over fewer DH bikes. Hence the higher price.

Edit: This obviously isn't true across the board at all, but there are a bunch of DH bikes that have more complex and fancy machining and/or tube manipulation going on that about any trail bike I can think of. Think the shock tunnel on a Legend/ Jedi, for example.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
I want a chromoly frame!!! That way I can hit it with a hammer while crashing in the rocks!!!!
Agreed. Not to mention with an intelligent design you can get the weight well below aluminum while being stronger, and with 3x the fatigue life. And surface damage isn't potentially as problematic as with a composite.

Also I would be careful about the assumption that WC racers are like you and I where we build one bike at the beginning of the year and only replace something once it is broken beyond repair. I know for a fact that this is not true in WC racing, and is not exclusively the case in any other form of professional motorsports, for example.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Agreed. Not to mention with an intelligent design you can get the weight well below aluminum while being stronger, and with 3x the fatigue life. And surface damage isn't potentially as problematic as with a composite.
I love my steel DH bike. It rides great, weight is reasonable, and when it cracked all it took was a little touch up weld and it's good to go again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm wasn't going to dignify that, but I need to up my post count, apparently. I'm sorry for coming across as antagonistic, I don't know you. Maybe you were saying something that made sense and it just came out wrong. That's as much slack I can give.

Why defend one material so zealously? I like carbon a lot, I think it has a place on bikes, up to trail bikes, even slack ones. I'm very hard on my DH equipment though, and carbon would be a bad investment, personally. Science and reality say it's plastic, and while the structural qualities can be stellar, the durability and finish will always be plastic. I'm not saying it will break necessarily, I'm saying it will get chewed up. The end.
:rofl:

Saying carbon fiber is plastic is insanely generic. That's like saying you have a bike made out of metal. Doesn't really mean a whole lot.

It also doesn't hold any water in "reality". "Plastics" (technically correct term: polymers) have such an insanely wide scope of possible functional performance characteristics that if you're going to rule it out as a material for any particular application just because its "plastic", then I know a Nigerian prince who needs your help.