Quantcast

(This) Downhiller's XC bike

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
A friend of mine left his bike with me to ride for a few weeks last September, and I inevitably knew I would have to own one after the first ride on it. I?ve been riding an aluminum Trance X for a few seasons now, and was pretty stoked after riding the same thing made of carbon. It worked out that I ended up with that same frame and fork this spring, and just finally got all the pieces together to build it in time for dirt season. I figured with all the talk about XC bikes for downhillers, I?d take the chance to show ya?ll what this downhiller spends the (overwhelming) majority of his time on. Hopefully some of you will appreciate this.

2010 Giant Trance X Advanced SL, Medium, 5.0?
Fox RP23
Fox F140 RLC Fit, Tapered
Chris King tapered Inset
Thomson Elite setback seat post
Thomson X4 Stem, 100mm, flipped
Edge Composite bars, 29.5?
DT Swiss 240s centerlock hubs, Notubes ZTR Crest rims, DT Revolution spokes, Proloc nipples
E13 singlespeed XC crankset, 175mm
E13 XCX Chainguide
XCX 36T Guidering
SRAM X0 Trigger shifter
SRAM X9 short cage rear derailleur
SRAM PC1070 Chain, SRAM PG1070 cassette, 11-36
Avid Elixer CR Mag?s, XT centerlock 160mm rotors
Michelin tires, 2.10, black
Fizik Arione saddle
ESI Silicone grips
Weight (as pictured): 24.45lbs

Driveside

Non Driveside

Downtube is super stout

As is the headtube junction

Top link be carbon too

New SRAM cassettes look pretty sweet

Full E13 set up is super clean, as always. Thanks Phillip.

While I'm here I guess I'll post a couple pictures and a ****ty video from my trip to Colorado over spring break. The video may or may not play well with your connection. The dudes outside of Denver have some sweet riding though. Way different than the wet ugly tech I've grown up riding here in Maine. Different in a good way.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
tell me more about the ethirteen cranks... I was thinking about getting them. actually, I was thinking about doing exactly what you have going on there: 36t chainring, 11-36 cassette. How's that working out for you?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Totally a skinsuit. Because forget all that noise from dudes who thump chests but shred desk chairs. Or worse, the anti-scene carhartt crowd. Somewhere along the way everyone forgot that we're still a bunch of geeks riding expensive bicycles through the woods. Bringin' the SS back, one ride at a time. Plus, these thing's are comfortable! :D

JeremyR, I think the sea otter course has more pedaling :p These are what michelin just re-released as the Wildrace'r. Profile is pretty square, and the grip is predictable. I was riding the Rock'rs in that video, also sweet tires. I keep em' on my I9/Flow wheelset.

Can't say much about the E13 cranks yet, other than they got rave reviews from friends riding them last year, weren't much heavier than XTR's, and set up beautifully (Nice quality, and smooth interface). I got some high hopes, and I feel pretty good that they'll be met!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Can't say much about the E13 cranks yet, other than they got rave reviews from friends riding them last year, weren't much heavier than XTR's, and set up beautifully (Nice quality, and smooth interface). I got some high hopes, and I feel pretty good that they'll be met!
what about the gearing? I'm curious about the 36-36 combo. I'm not really familiar with Colorado riding, but I did spend a couple of days in GJ/Fruita. If you're familar with 18rd. in Fruita, do you think the 36-36 would get you up the steeps of Chutes and Ladders (at the top of Prime Cut)?

ps, though I have nothing against ss per se, you would be paying me good money to not wear one of those :rofl: