Quantcast

This f*king stupid "economic stimulus package"

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
It's more corporate welfare for the oil companies.

Gas goes to $4.00/gal, general population gets check just in time for summer travel. Goes into the tank.
After the Fed dropped rates and further weakened the dollar against the euro, oil prices went up over $2 a barrel by the speculators based on that exact theory. Extra cash by May means more travel.

Hasn't anyone in Washington heard of the saying throwing good money after bad?

My wife was glad to hear the food stamp thing got squashed after she witnessed a hillbilly up here buying a $40 cake from the bakery department of the grocery and paying with a Pa Purchase Card (food stamps.)

But, hey..give the Average more $$, they'll spend it wisely..right??

Buy Budweiser and Marlboro and Copenhagen stocks, the Daytona 500 is just weeks away...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i really dont understand the theory that giving moving money from the gov to the low and middle class folks will cause a surge of spending and avert (or at least dampen) a recession.

Seems to me just a redistribution of wealth from the taxpayers to the nontaxpayers to the businesses...

Will this money really spur businesses to produce more cheap sh!t in China to sell to the WalMart shopper?

Perhaps LordoPie can help out here...
Give 150 billion to everyone in the us from the government coffers. The government does not adjust their spending so they borrow more. Basically the government is just taking a $600 loan out for everyone. Ironically it is a credit crunch that can be blamed for all of this.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Give 150 billion to everyone in the us from the government coffers. The government does not adjust their spending so they borrow more. Basically the government is just taking a $600 loan out for everyone. Ironically it is a credit crunch that can be blamed for all of this.
Well, theoretically, the idea is...

give $150B, it gets spent and taxed in the process, so the govt gets, what, 5% back immediately. That money continues to flow, get spent, get taxed, etc. GDP grows based on it and the stock market is happy again.

But growth doesn't pay for itself. Trickle down never works. We're in a period that has no easy answer except for readjusting thinking, but that's not gonna happen.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i know it kinda worked back in the 70's and then in 2000 but now?? Seems like a panic move to me on the part of the Gov.
Whoa! Who cleared you to express you own opinion? And one that isn't so very partisan.

:)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Well, theoretically, the idea is...

give $150B, it gets spent and taxed in the process, so the govt gets, what, 5% back immediately. That money continues to flow, get spent, get taxed, etc. GDP grows based on it and the stock market is happy again.

But growth doesn't pay for itself. Trickle down never works. We're in a period that has no easy answer except for readjusting thinking, but that's not gonna happen.
I am very confident the economy will recover.. and be stronger than ever.

Might take 3-6 years but the US economy is an awesome machine.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I am very confident the economy will recover.. and be stronger than ever.

Might take 3-6 years but the US economy is an awesome machine.
I'm sure the it will recover and your time frame seems reasonable; however...

-- we're left with a much larger debt that does have to be paid back eventually.

-- the dollar's weakening means that it might be replaced as a primary global commerce instrument.

In the end, we'll be fine domestically, but our power Globally has been permanently reduced. Maybe that's a good thing? I kinda liked being #1 (in some way :))

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I'm sure the it will recover and your time frame seems reasonable; however...

-- we're left with a much larger debt that does have to be paid back eventually.

-- the dollar's weakening means that it might be replaced as a primary global commerce instrument.

In the end, we'll be fine domestically, but our power Globally has been permanently reduced. Maybe that's a good thing? I kinda liked being #1 (in some way :))

ONly if you get democratic ideology that secure jobs here and pays down the debt so less tax dollars go to interes and more go to service. Since the gov't is fixed and billary will win, I think were good for 8 year. After that (when jeb "wins"), stick your money into divident stocks, swiss franks, Raytheon stock and gold- wish someone would have told me that in 2000.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I think one of the best things this nation could use is a sharp BYU business graduate as president. Those peeps are very sharp and tend to be conservative businesses peeps.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Whoever thought this up is obviously not a real frother. A real frother would have just tossed $100 bills into the street and the people who really wanted it would have got more and the lazy and the weak would have got nothing thereby motivating them to be become better.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I think one of the best things this nation could use is a sharp BYU business graduate as president. Those peeps are very sharp and tend to be conservative businesses peeps.
he did such a great job governing MA.

and his favorite book is Battleship Earth.

:twitch:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Whoever thought this up is obviously not a real frother. A real frother would have just tossed $100 bills into the street and the people who really wanted it would have got more and the lazy and the weak would have got nothing thereby motivating them to be become better.
Nope, it'd have been a street fight by the fastest homeless people and the rest would get put on food stamps and welfare. Geez, this country doesn't believe in the laws of nature....c'mon!

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I seriously can't believe our government is writing checks in order to stimulate the economy. I've always had the suspicion that 12 year olds are in charge behind the scenes and this helps to further confirm that.

Anyone else around here listen to David Cross? He had good bits about the previous handout on both of his CDs.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Well, maybe it's going to work. Everyone in our little assembly/warehouse area is talking about how they're going to spend the money. None of them seem to grasp why this is a bad idea so I gave up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well, maybe it's going to work. Everyone in our little assembly/warehouse area is talking about how they're going to spend the money. None of them seem to grasp why this is a bad idea so I gave up.
Greed does a great job of blinding logic.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Don't stop them!

Let them spiral into debt while growing the economy and sustaining your standard of living.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't think the government is ever going to pay it back, and I don't think they have any intention of paying it back.
umm, we are always and constantly paying it back.

If you mean pay it down to nothing, agreed, we'll always have debt and in fact, that's one way to manage the value of the dollar and the number of dollars available.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
umm, we are always and constantly paying it back.

If you mean pay it down to nothing, agreed, we'll always have debt and in fact, that's one way to manage the value of the dollar and the number of dollars available.
I wonder if I could round fractions of a cent off of the interest of the national debt...a la Superman II (and to a lesser extent, Office Space)...I mean the amount of interest of trillions has to be able to buy at least a new helmet for this coming season...

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I tried to convince my LBS today that giving me free tune ups and lattes would be tax deductible under the expanded business tax write offs!

And like the workers who pay no income tax and still get the rebate, tried my previous line about getting a rebate on a bike I'm never going to buy.

They didn't buy any of it.:disgust: