Quantcast

This guy must be the best skateboarder alive

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Oh my god. He's unreal. The only other time I've been nearly that impressed with a skateboarder is when a guy pulled a backflip off a spine at the local skatepark while drunk.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
f**ck guys and girls, it's Rodney Mullen, the Godfather of modern skateboarding. He is the one who invented kickflips and plenty of other tricks.

Common!!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BigMike said:
Holy **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** *** **** ****
Holy f8ckin h*ll, that was some incredible sh8t!!

I think....the firewall blocked it....

:mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

biker3

Turbo Monkey
That is impressive but obsolete. It was like 10 years ago when he was first doing it but not anymore. Most of those flips tricks and what not minus the insane tech flat ground stuff is being thrown over HUGE gaps and stair sets. Pick up a newer skate video and you will be blown away by the progression. Its getting out of hand, sorta like BMX.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Rodney Mullen does have some amazing tech skills on a skateboard. Has anyone ever seen the Dae Won Song V. Rodney Mullen video series?

For all of you skaters out there, check out www.putfile.com and search skateboarding. There are several old video parts that changed the face of skating. Guy Mariano and Mark Gonzales from Blind's "Video Days," and Matt Hensley from H-steet's "Shackle Me Not."

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
loco said:
Per Welinder owns Rodney Mullen. :D

This proves it. He was in 'Thrashin''.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092085/fullcredits
Christ old man you really do suck after all.

pear is teh suxxor

Mullen and I went to the same college at about the same time. I didn't know him though because I drank alcohol and he went out of his way to find the shortest shorts known to mankind.

I've got one of his powell freestyle models sitting in my garage.

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
i don't know what you guys are talking about that guy sucks... half of the time the wheels were on the wrong side that doesn't sound like he was doing the tricks right..........

J

JRB

kidwoo said:
Christ old man you really do suck after all.

pear is teh suxxor

Mullen and I went to the same college at about the same time. I didn't know him though because I drank alcohol and he went out of his way to find the shortest shorts known to mankind.

I've got one of his powell freestyle models sitting in my garage.
Yeah - Mullen actually owned Per Welinder, except for the Thrashin' bit, the board graphics, and the Bones Brigade spot. Nobody lame got to look for Animal Chin, man.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Nice moves all around But one thing.... too many times i see Skaters setting some poor examples with safety. Dude has got skills no doubt. But he should know kids are gonna look up to him with this stuff. Needs a Helmet . Show the kids Helmets are ok

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
dark slides, so hot right now (well, a couple of years ago actually but still a sick trick)

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
mullen was the ****, WAS. That stuff, all the little flatland stuff is all he does

Arto, Rowley, koston, those guys are freakin badass

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Rodney used to tour with the Bones Brigade back in the day. When freestyle was still cool, he dominated. I had ridden with him in the mid 80's when the tour came to town and he had wicked board control.

I have the video that clip is from among a lot of others with him in it. My favorite is a slow motion set that he did in one of the older Bones Brigade videos.

He is old (like me and many others), but there are few skates who have ever shown board control like that. The only guy I have skated street with that comes close is Matt Hensley. He and Rodney used to skate together in the "Plan B" days. I skates with Concrete Jungle back before it evolved into Plan B. Then I went into the military. :(

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
He may be old, and his style may be out of date, but that stuff is still amazing to me. I am not up on the skateboard scene, I can hardly stand up on one!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
blt2ride said:
Rodney Mullen does have some amazing tech skills on a skateboard. Has anyone ever seen the Dae Won Song V. Rodney Mullen video series?

For all of you skaters out there, check out www.putfile.com and search skateboarding. There are several old video parts that changed the face of skating. Guy Mariano and Mark Gonzales from Blind's "Video Days," and Matt Hensley from H-steet's "Shackle Me Not."
Shackle Me Not was SICK. That movie inspired me when I was a kid. Bones Brigade was insaine too. Mullen had a sick section in that video. If memory serves me correctly it was at begining, they used hip hop too which I seem to remember being a first in skate movies.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Shackel me not is a great video. But for serious display of pure technical ability, I have to say the video to see is:

Rodney Mullen VS Daewon Song

Between the two of them, there is an amazing display of control that will blow you away.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Not...you guys are dating yourselves. Guy Marianos part in Goldfish is still the standard. Koston, Jamie Thomas, Jeremy Rogers, Paul Rodriguez, Geoff Rowley, Arto Saari, the list is endless. Rodney is amazing and will always be. There are very few people who have even dared to enter in to the side of skateboarding he owns. He has very good all around skills and is one of the most dedicated, responsible skaters on the planet. Watch videos from Flip, Zero, and Girl if you want to just lose understanding of skill vs. risk. It got to the point where every time we would go out to film you would wonder if you were coming home that night...not kidding, it is scary what people do now for progression.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Heath Sherratt said:
Not...you guys are dating yourselves. Guy Marianos part in Goldfish is still the standard. Koston, Jamie Thomas, Jeremy Rogers, Paul Rodriguez, Geoff Rowley, Arto Saari, the list is endless. Rodney is amazing and will always be. There are very few people who have even dared to enter in to the side of skateboarding he owns. He has very good all around skills and is one of the most dedicated, responsible skaters on the planet. Watch videos from Flip, Zero, and Girl if you want to just lose understanding of skill vs. risk. It got to the point where every time we would go out to film you would wonder if you were coming home that night...not kidding, it is scary what people do now for progression.
But it's that way in any sport. It's like trying to compare Bender to Wade Simmons.

There is a lot of stuff I would never consider trying because of risk, even back then. I haven't even so much as touched a board in nearly 10 years. I picked up an issue of Thrasher about 6 months ago and was blown away with what some guys are doing.

But I guess for me there is a big difference between ability and outright balls. Some guys are just plain crazy.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Heath Sherratt said:
Danny Way/Geoff Rowley skills and huevos
Agreed. I remeber watching Danny when he was 8! He kicked ass then too. It's just nice to see guys like Bob Burnquist still ride and rip. I wish I could.

Now I feel old. :nopity:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
blt2ride said:
and Matt Hensley from H-steet's "Shackle Me Not."
That was such a sick vid! My friend and I used to slam Jolt cola and watch that before we went skating....

how many people even remember H-street? and the Hell-Cave boards?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
oly said:
how many people even remember H-street? and the Hell-Cave boards?
Concrete Jungle, H-Street, Plan B... All started with Tony Mag. Those were some of the greatest boards and so ahead of the times.