Quantcast

This guy must be the best skateboarder alive

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
oly said:
That was such a sick vid! My friend and I used to slam Jolt cola and watch that before we went skating....

how many people even remember H-street? and the Hell-Cave boards?
I rode for them during that time. Those boards lasted forever. That's when we started taking the rails off of our boards because the paint was so slick and the center of your board would hit anyways because there was so much concave.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
oly said:
That was such a sick vid! My friend and I used to slam Jolt cola and watch that before we went skating....

I still have an Hstreet video...

I have older ones than that though... I have one with Mullen and hawk both skating for powell... back when tony rode that original board with the hawk skull, he was like what 15-16 back then?

SK8 or die dude!!!

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
Heath Sherratt said:
Another...

It's been five years since I retired. I just started skating the other day and it was so fun...good times.
I thought your name sounded familiar...always thinking "where do I know that name from" everytime I see one of your posts...you had some pretty cool pics...and vid if I'm remembering correctly...been a few years since I watched a skate video though...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Heath Sherratt said:
It's been five years since I retired. I just started skating the other day and it was so fun...good times.
I still have a Steve Steadham board from 1989! I knew Jason was still working in the industry, I was reading about that a while ago.

I have been working with a few places here helping to get parks built, but I haven't skated any and that's sad. If the weather warms up soon, I may hit the park not too far from my house. I have seen the guys who skate there, so I won't be too embarased :thumb:

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
It was time. I had a hard time whe I first started out with such big sponsors, I was a punk and had no mentor or anyone to give me heads up on the hows and why's so I ended up in and out of jail and that really bumbs sponsors out. Every time I would get out I would have to start all over again. Anyways, after a while and after Jesus, I got my stuff together and had some really great sponsors and people behind me. My board was coming out and I even designed a shoe for a company called AERA and some clothing for Redsand so the money was rolling in...but I had to travel...a lot...and I just had my first son Elijah and I was gone for two months straight in New Zealand and all over the US to promote my name and my new stuff coming out and when I got back it just broke my heart to leave my son again; so it came down to that. I chose my family over an illustrious career in skateboarding and I will never regret it. My family is awesome and God gave me MTB'ing for an outlet. It's adventurous and fun...what more could I need? It's been great and I have made some awesome friends in this industry. I love it and hope I'll be a part of it forever. I still stay in touch with my skater homies, in fact I am judging a contest on the eleventh in Monterey, my home town and have started riding again for fun. So, it's all good, it's all gravy.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
S.K.C. said:
My first board was a Santa Cruz Slasher (Steve Meek) model...
KEITH meek son. Keith.:blah:

I remember seeing jason lee as an up and coming am (world industries or one of those stupid steve rocco companies). I kept yelling at him to pull his stupid pants up, no one cared about his fashionable boxers.

Oh if I only knew then...........that women everywhere would in fact be quite interested in seeing his fashionable boxers.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
goodtobeIrie said:
I thought your name sounded familiar...always thinking "where do I know that name from" everytime I see one of your posts...you had some pretty cool pics...and vid if I'm remembering correctly...been a few years since I watched a skate video though...
Thanks man, it still trips me out when people walk up to me and ask me "are you Heath Sherratt?" lol I still trip on it. My friend Jimmy Ryan just got hooked up with Karl Watson and Organika...keep an eye out, he's sick, really technical and awesome style.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
kidwoo said:
KEITH meek son. Keith.:blah:

I remember seeing jason lee as an up and coming am (world industries or one of those stupid steve rocco companies). I kept yelling at him to pull his stupid pants up, no one cared about his fashionable boxers.

Oh if I only knew then...........that women everywhere would in fact be quite interested in seeing his fashionable boxers.
Best tre-flips ever in that video.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Heath Sherratt said:
Yeah, poor Mark. Have you watched that documentary on him? He was losing it big time and no one stepped in to help. Rough.
Yeah I did. I feel sorry for him but only to a point. All those gaudy-a$s vision street wear patterns must have blinded him and made him loopy.

I always enjoy a Jason Jessee interview though.

Vert was always my thang. I grew up about 5 minutes from a park in florida called Kona.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
kidwoo said:
I always enjoy a Jason Jessee interview though.
Jason did the photo shoot of my brothers chopper when it was featured in Iron Horse magazine a few years ago. He also did a bunch of shoots for some of his tattoo work for various magazines and a think a book or two (coffee table type).

I haven't seen the documentory, I need to find that.
<edit> Found it, next on my Netflix list (how did I miss that?)

J

JRB

goodtobeIrie said:
:stupid: Great stuff now that I know his story, a little bit. He is my new hero on RM. Even more than Rip.

*Steve Steadham had the coolest dreads ever.

**That Gator film sucked. I hated that happened to him, even if it was his fault. I also skated in Austin a bunch and kind of knew Jeff Phillips, so it just made me think of him to see Gator in so much grief. I had some real heros from skating fail me.

Glad you got squared away Heath.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Kidwoo:
...it's KEITH Meek... :D
Keith Meek???

Oops... my bad, thought it was Steve. It's been soooo long since I've even thought about that deck... still have it - Gorilla Ribs, O.J. Speed Wheels stickers, Tail Bone, and all...

Heath:
It was time. I had a hard time whe I first started out with such big sponsors, I was a punk and had no mentor or anyone to give me heads up on the hows and why's so I ended up in and out of jail and that really bumbs sponsors out. Every time I would get out I would have to start all over again. Anyways, after a while and after Jesus, I got my stuff together and had some really great sponsors and people behind me. My board was coming out and I even designed a shoe for a company called AERA and some clothing for Redsand so the money was rolling in...but I had to travel...a lot...and I just had my first son Elijah and I was gone for two months straight in New Zealand and all over the US to promote my name and my new stuff coming out and when I got back it just broke my heart to leave my son again; so it came down to that. I chose my family over an illustrious career in skateboarding and I will never regret it. My family is awesome and God gave me MTB'ing for an outlet. It's adventurous and fun...what more could I need? It's been great and I have made some awesome friends in this industry. I love it and hope I'll be a part of it forever. I still stay in touch with my skater homies, in fact I am judging a contest on the eleventh in Monterey, my home town and have started riding again for fun. So, it's all good, it's all gravy.
That's awesome man - you really did turn it around. I always wondered what happened to you in the scene...:)

...damn shame about Gator though.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
oly said:

I had a Matt Hensley H-street deck! the nose on that was HUGE!!!

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
S.K.C. said:
Kidwoo:

Keith Meek???

Oops... my bad, thought it was Steve. It's been soooo long since I've even thought about that deck... still have it - Gorilla Ribs, O.J. Speed Wheels stickers, Tail Bone, and all...

Heath:

That's awesome man - you really did turn it around. I always wondered what happened to you in the scene...:)

...damn shame about Gator though.
Thanks, Hang on to that board, it's a collectors item now.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Man do i wish i would have kept the piles and piles of skate decks i went through as a kid...

Remember how all the santacruz videos kicked so much ass...that was back when the nose of the board was like .75" long without any kick?? Natas ruled those vids....

this thread is cool.... brings back alot of old school memories........

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My folks tossed all my gear when I left for boot camp. I had some serious boards too. I had one of the first Blockhead Team boards, an original Powell Peralta Mini Cab (hot pink with powder blue dragon no less) signed by the whole crew, I had a S.O.S blank with my first prototype shape cut and the graphics were done by Lance Mountain, I even had an old Powell Corp. board before Stacy was more than one of the team. It was one of the first wide boards on the market.

I think my folks still have my Upland Pipeline mebership card that I got the day it opened! I loved that park too. Back when you had to pay to skate a park, how wrong is that?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Wow, I feel crusty old.
First deck?
wood with clays
Then: Plastic with eurothanes
Then: G&S fibreflex, with gold and black Bennet Pro's, OJ II, BAYBE
Then a gap, and into Mark Gonzales, (little mexican who can ollie),
Natas Kaupas Pro Models, Rob Roskopp (my personal fave), Christian Hosois, and then....the "Rodney Mullen Effect"
Damn, if it weren't for rodney's mad tight short steeze, we would not HAVE Burndquist, Way, ****, pick your contemporary skater. he totally changed the way folks rode boards, whether one liked it or not. Mad props, skate nation.
PS: I used to love the "where are they now" sections in Thrasher, early on...many, many, many, many flameouts....and I am sure that many families are now thankful.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
All this skating history on RM is cool. I think, I might have heard your name before, Heath.

I started skating in the mid '90s. I'm on the later end here. I feel young.:D

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Natas Kaupas's part in Strange Notes 12 I think it was changed my life. It ws like 8 tricks but they were so fast, so revolutionary and so smooth that I wanted to skate like that from that day forward. Remember the fire hydrant spin? He was so amazing.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
[ I had one of the first Blockhead Team boards, an original Powell Peralta Mini Cab (hot pink with powder blue dragon no less) signed by the whole crew, I even had an old Powell Corp. board before Stacy was more than one of the team.
I think my folks still have my Upland Pipeline mebership card that I got the day it opened! I loved that park too. Back when you had to pay to skate a park, how wrong is that?[/QUOTE]

Dude! sounds like you have some really cool memorabilia, or had. Those boards are worth a lot to collectors for sure. I think that stuff is cool.

J

JRB

Heath Sherratt said:
Yes, mad skills. He had some pretty major success as an artist.
I may dig up some graphics tonight and have a Pushead poll. I can't decide what I liked best right now. Of course, I think my favorite graphics were for John Gibson or the Dogtown cross.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yep - I still have my Santa Cruz Slasher and:

G&S Foil Tail
1988 Powell/Peralta Tony Hawk Sig. Model (all black w/ small profile of a birds' head by the truck)
1991 POWELL Tony Hawk Vert. model

Wheels:
Powell Peralta Bone III's, Bi-Color - Dayglo orange and black, dayglow green and black, solid dayglo orange

Rat Bones 101a in baby blue, softer duro in black

Trucks:
Gullwing Pro III's, Gullwing Phoenix baseplates, black w/ Z's copers and Cell-Block riser pads

Pushead graphics on the Zorlac decks AND the liner notes from Metallica's "...and Justice For All" are SICK...

One of my old skate buddies had a Christian Hosoi "Hammerhead" model in black and white, that I think was made by Skull Skates if I remember correctly... you could take a family of 4 on vacation down the parkway on one of those things... Huge.