Quantcast

This guy must be the best skateboarder alive

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
S.K.C. said:
One of my old skate buddies had a Christian Hosoi "Hammerhead" model in black and white, that I think was made by Skull Skates if I remember correctly... you could take a family of 4 on vacation down the parkway on one of those things... Huge.
My younger brother had one of those and then the mini version.

My favorite graphic was the Zorlac "shrunken head".

Here you go loco

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
jimmydean said:
I think my folks still have my Upland Pipeline mebership card that I got the day it opened! I loved that park too. Back when you had to pay to skate a park, how wrong is that?
I lived at The Concrete Wave in Anaheim and Skatopia in Buena Park. Some friends and I used to poach the pool at Cerritos Regional Park as well. One of my friends had a 12" half-pipe in his backyard that was probably the best one in Cypress for a few years.

I stopped skating when I joined the USAF in 1982, my last board being given to Goodwill by my 'rents. It was a Sims 10" wide deck (can't remember the name) with Tracker trucks and green Sims Snakes. It was a nice poolrider for its time.

My first "skateboard" was a 2x4 with steel skate wheels from a roller skate that was hacksawed in half. That was probably about 1968.

First store bought was a birthday present from my nutty aunt in 1972. She took me to Big 5 at Del Amo Mall in Torrance and bought me the less popular brother to the infamous Black Knight, The Boss Man. Stone roller heaven! Eventually it was adorned with Cadillac wheels before it was broken and replaced with a wood shop special I made out of oak.

I'm not sure when I bought my next board, but I think it was around '76. I had a part time job selling newspaper subscriptions and bought a 27" Sims Oak Kick with Bennett trucks and Road Rider Red #4s. I thrashed on that thing until deciding to get my last board in about '78.

I was never the most crazed of the bunch I rode with, but had a lot of fun. I preferred poolriding over halfpipes for some reason and used to do a lot of suburban freestyle kind of crap.

With all of the great muni skateparks popping up, I may one day have to get an old school pool deck and fall on my ass once and a while again.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Nor Cal, Portland, and Washington have some of the most amazing pool/bowl combinations you will ever see. China just built the worlds biggest skatepark-google it and do the fly over...insane!
My hometown of Monterey just built a sick pool/actually it's in Marina, but it is legit and has real pool coping and everything. Also there is one in Auburn that I am going to finish draining this summer and rip whenever I am heading to the trail head. Skating is so sick...

J

JRB

Heath Sherratt said:
I have always loved Skateboard art-I particularly love the medium of negative space on griptape and paint pens.

and Neil Blender
G & S had the best graphics that were just artsy, in my opinion. Lots of clowns. I liked that.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Wow, its pretty amazing so many people used to skate! Quite interesting actually, the turn from skating to biking. Does anyone here still skate?

I don't have much to say on the subject, I used to be a fruit booter!

J

JRB

I have been looking and still think this is my favorite Pushead deck.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
This isn't my deck, but this is what mine looks like - much better condition though - the original Santa Cruz Slasher, Meek Model:

...and speaking of H-Street, here's an Eddie Elguera, and John Sonner:

...and here's one of Rodney Mullen's old freestyle decks... remember when decks had different shapes for different disciplines?... damn.

J

JRB

This was actually the best riding desk I ever skated.

The concave was so deep it glued on you.

J

JRB

BigMike said:
OK, again, excuse my ignorance here, but..... is Santa Cruz the same Santa Cruz?
Rob Roskopp originally skated for Santa Cruz. Not sure if he was involved there initially, but there is an affilliation.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
BigMike said:
OK, again, excuse my ignorance here, but..... is Santa Cruz the same Santa Cruz?
Yeah, Rob retired from proffessional skateboarding to start riding/racing MTBikes. He then started Santa Cruz Bicycles with Keith Cochrane of NHS. Another skater crossover...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Heath Sherratt said:
Dude! sounds like you have some really cool memorabilia, or had. Those boards are worth a lot to collectors for sure. I think that stuff is cool.
They might have been worth something had I not skated the hell out of each one. The Mini Cab didn't see much action because it was small, but it had a nose when the full size Cab didn't. Plus Steve is such a cool dude, he skated with my brother when I was little, then he and I skated together when he was pro.

My personal was my first blank. I cut it and put it together 2 days before Capitola and didn't take time to do any graphics. When we were hanging out, Lance grabbed a sharpie and went nuts on it. Nearly the whole underside was covered when he was done. Then he passed it around, so it had Tommy G., Steve Cab, Christian Hosi, Tony Hawk, and Natas signatures and random comments on it. We had a good laugh and that board held a lot of memories.

It wouldn't mean anything to anyone else becuase you would have had to be there to fully understand. But it made for quite the nice wall art.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It seems Harold Hunter has died.

- An original Zoo Yorker and embassador representing NYC the world around, Harold Hunter will be deeply missed by the Zoo Crew, Family, Friends and his world of fans. New York City will never be the same without him. May he Rest in Peace.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Heath Sherratt said:
Holy Crap...How?
From today's daily news:

"February 18, 2006 -- A skateboarder who appeared in the controversial 1995 movie "Kids" was found dead in his Lower East Side apartment yesterday of an apparent cocaine overdose, cops said.
Harold Hunter, 31, who performed stunts in Larry Clark's film about an HIV-positive skateboarder, was discovered by his brother at 4 p.m. in his East 13th Street apartment, police.

Cops said they retrieved cocaine from "on and around the body."

"He was saying stuff like, 'When I die I'm going to be famous,' " said Hunter's sister Rebecca Atkins"
That was from a post on another site.