Quantcast

This guy needs to be publicly and painfully executed!!

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I'm one of the most courteous riders you'll meet on any track.

If it is a taped-out DH track and there is a person walking their dog down it, I will stop and explain how what he is doing could be dangerous. If I am riding down a walking track and see some people walking, I slow right down, let them pass with a "hello, nice day" kinda attitude.

There are enough stupid w*nkers out there who are rude enough to ruin it for everyone with their 'I'm f*cken awesome' attitudes. You see that a lot here in the Alps.

As for the original posting, I heard of someone being practically decapitated by a line of wire stretched at head-height. I think it was a moto rider, but the horror of trail trapping remains. Anyone caught trapping trails should be dealt to severely.

I'm like that most times. For the most part hikers in AZ are good and will let you pass if it's a difficult and narrow trail. On occasion there are groups trying to provoke problems.

There is a club called AZ roadrunners(?), they run cross country on trails, and consider they have the right of way over everything and everyone. The run side by side and won't let a rider pass, they frequently run in with MP3 players, and if alone swerve all over the trail refusing to let anyone pass.

I've even had them step out of the bushes directly in front of me on a rocky downhill and yell "I have right of way". Sure you do, you also have the right to be splattered with baby head rock as I go around you, because you are sanding on the only clear part of the trail, and are a wad too boot.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I didn't read the whole thread, but I read in the local paper today that he is charged with only one felony vandalism count after digging almost 50 holes. Shouldn't each one be a new charge?

Reactor, I would like to know more about the "Roadrunners"...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I didn't read the whole thread, but I read in the local paper today that he is charged with only one felony vandalism count after digging almost 50 holes. Shouldn't each one be a new charge?

Reactor, I would like to know more about the "ROADrunners"...
I agree SB... 50 holes 50 counts!

and shouldn't they fvcking runners change their name, or just stay on the ROAD!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I would like to hear from some of the west coast :monkey:s on this.

There have been battles going on for years over trail access in California, and I have seen quite a few boastful posts from bicyclists about having run over or fought with "trail nazis". There may be two sides to this story.
I am a west coast monkey and I am having a hard time seeing another side to this story. Whatever might have happened to this person does not justify building traps with the potential to seriously injure or kill. I agree that some cyclists are asshats, but still, I don't really see a gray area here.

As for the right of way, the general rule about yielding to the climber is based on the fact that it's easier to get going again if you are going downhill, especially if it's a technical climb or the climber is not a skilled rider. Many people who don't understand this rule never actually climb steep technical trails, even if they ride down them. Either that or they are egotistical enough to think they should have the right away whichever direction they happen to be going.

That said, I will generally yield to people heading down too, unless it's a particularly steep section and I don't want to lose momentum.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
'Round here MTB types do 90% of all trailwork so folks complaining about bikes can suck it. Of course the population density is low enough that everyone actually gets along just fine.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Santa Barbara is a contentious mess as far as hiker/biker relations.
There's been quite a bit of booby trapping, usually moving boulders into inconvenient places. I've heard of one incident involving steel wire, but it wasn't recent.

As far as etiquette. I stop or slow down to a crawl (depending on trail situation) say "hi" and tell them how many more are in my party. Also everyone who bikes in S.B. should be rocking a cowbell on the bike, its considered the polite thing to do and I carry 4 or so in my pack to hand out to lesser informed members of the biking community ;)

If I see anyone setting up traps I'll be doing my level best to get them prosecuted to attempted manslaughter. Thank god for camera phones ;)

i've been on all sides of the arguement: biking, hiking and equestrian

when youre biking its pretty hard to forsee what is around the next corner no matter what and it becomes discouraging because you know that you want to haul a$$ but you really dont want a confrontation with a hiker/jogger and you REALLY dont want to spook a horse! thank god for brakes though... even though a really fast stop will still freak people...

as a hiker, i dont see why you cant listen ahead for someone coming down the trail... yes i know some bike are extremely quiet, but one can still try... and if that doesnt work, one doesnt HAVE to be in the dead center of the trail... i know joggers dont want to run in the rough and many listen to their Ipods while running blind twisty singletrack:disgust1: but around corners, come into it wide so you can see just that split second ahead... and a quick jump wont hurt your reflex-practice:busted:

equestrian is the hardest for me to argue against though... reactions/corrections are not that fast, once the horse is freaked, in most cases its gonna be awhile until its calm again, and steep, rough DH style trails are hard to resist testing you and your horse up...
but youre say 7-8' higher than the trail, so its much easier for one to keep an eye out and forsee an oncoming rider further along the trail...

as for this guy though, get over it, you didnt react quick enough, i'm sure the rider slammed his brakes to avoid you which was all that he could do, and youre the douche to be doing this as vengeance... pathetic

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
a guy was arrested around here for puttin a cable neck level across a dirtbike trail. its a straight away and i see people go faster than 60 on it, luckily kids seen it first