Quantcast

This guy needs to be publicly and painfully executed!!

splat

Nam I am
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,320469,00.html

ULLERTON, California — Police said they arrested a man who acknowledged digging holes on a park bicycle trail in southern California as payback for nearly being run down by a cyclist.

Warren John Wilson, 52, faces a single felony count of vandalism, police Sgt. Linda King said Friday.

King said nearly 50 holes measuring about 1 foot by 2 feet (30 centimeters by 60 centimeters) have been found since June along a trail at Laguna Lake Park, and in some cases attempts had been made to hide them from cyclists. She said some riders went over their handlebars after hitting the holes, but none reported major injuries.

Detectives watching the trails questioned Wilson, who said he had nearly been run over by a mountain bike rider and began digging the holes in retaliation, King said.

Police said Wilson had been released from custody. A phone listing for him could not be found.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'd like to see him sentenced to do community service on some bike trails. That seems quite appropriate.

I would like to hear from some of the west coast :monkey:s on this.

There have been battles going on for years over trail access in California, and I have seen quite a few boastful posts from bicyclists about having run over or fought with "trail nazis". There may be two sides to this story.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Haha,

Vindictive people pull the stupidest sh*t sometimes. I put a dead rabbit in a bitch bus driver's mailbox once.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
This azzhole needs to be punished for this.Bobby trapping trails to break peoples' necks isn't cool.
There might be some 1st timer out there who doesn't even like cycling that get's the trap.Anyone walking that trail too if they aren't paying any attention which wouldn't suprise me.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I remember quite a few years back, hearing of a man who was killed like that. He was riding trails with his young kid no less and fell into a booby trap. He suffered major head and neck trauma and died within hours..

I also know a lady who rode a downhill section that had fishing wire at the end. it dug over 1 1/2" into her...arms.. luckily it wasnt her neck

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I'm amazed that the guys name isn't Mk Vman
Don't mention his name... if he starts posting here this will be the end of RM... too many people will jump at the chance to argue with him...

he is an a #1 fvcktard as is the guy in this hole digging story.

We have had people doing this sort of thing here in Pittsburgh. One of the perp's was actually a MTB'er who was booby trapping what he thought were "Spur" trails but these trails were actually what would be considered the appropriate correction for problem areas in the trails.:disgust1:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Wow, just wow. What kind of jackass does something like that, I hope he gets prison time, you can kill someone doing crap like that. And hopefully while he is in prison, he makes someone a good wife!!!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I hate to say it, but since moving to Socal and i ride the trails a lot here. there are a ton of mtbikers that just don't care. and some that do care a lot. there's just sooo many bicyclists here its hard to tell who is who.

but i still for the life of me, Will never understand, the rule. if i'm traveling down a trail at 25mph, and theres another rider coming up the trail. i have to stop, and get out of his way. now i'm from riding plattekill and other east coast spots. and this is just ****ing stupid. i remembering jumping out of peoples way, when they were coming down.

Agreed, when I am out riding xc, when I am climbing 99% of the time I will pull over and let the dhing rider pass. Most people stop and try and tell me I had the right of way. I tell them, hey its way more fun to decend than climb. I agree, but at the same time sometimes if you are climbing and you try and stop to let a dher by, you have to walk back down to retry a whole section

Its remarkable the people that dont care. They think they have nothing to lost, but cyclists obviously do.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,320469,00.html

ULLERTON, California — Police said they arrested a man who acknowledged digging holes on a park bicycle trail in southern California as payback for nearly being run down by a cyclist.

Warren John Wilson, 52, faces a single felony count of vandalism, police Sgt. Linda King said Friday.

King said nearly 50 holes measuring about 1 foot by 2 feet (30 centimeters by 60 centimeters) have been found since June along a trail at Laguna Lake Park, and in some cases attempts had been made to hide them from cyclists. She said some riders went over their handlebars after hitting the holes, but none reported major injuries.

Detectives watching the trails questioned Wilson, who said he had nearly been run over by a mountain bike rider and began digging the holes in retaliation, King said.

Police said Wilson had been released from custody. A phone listing for him could not be found.
Mmm.... those holes would be barely noticeable on meh 29er!!!

hahahahhahahaha!!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My rule is to yield to all trail users - I don't own the trails. :monkey:

IMHO - Screaming down an open, mixed use trail at 25 MPH is asinine. Just because you want to do it doesn't mean you should. Public trails are just that - OPEN TO THE PUBLIC - all users have an obligation to each other's safety & enjoyment.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
My rule is to yield to all trail users - I don't own the trails. :monkey:

IMHO - Screaming down an open, mixed use trail at 25 MPH is asinine. Just because you want to do it doesn't mean you should. Public trails are just that - OPEN TO THE PUBLIC - all users have an obligation to each other's safety & enjoyment.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I never understood why bikes have to yeild to both horses and hikers...in my 5 year old words, "Thats not fair!"
I try to be cool to everyone I see on trails. You never know who they may be, or when you may run into them again.

Although, out here in the middle of nowhere, I rarely see anyone!
But I smoked some guy on a fs xc rig the other day, climbing past him on my ss.
Okay, he was a lard ass barney trying to find a gear. But to hear him say "WTF, where are your gears?" as I motored by was awesome...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I hate to say it, but since moving to Socal and i ride the trails a lot here. there are a ton of mtbikers that just don't care. and some that do care a lot. there's just sooo many bicyclists here its hard to tell who is who.
A majority of the bikers in SoCal just cant be bothered to show up and fight for the trails. It's easier to build/ride unsactioned trails. I remember going to a few county meetings - largest showing ever was probably about 40 to 50 bikers.

Bike and brew ride - couple hundred...

but i still for the life of me, Will never understand, the rule. if i'm traveling down a trail at 25mph, and theres another rider coming up the trail. i have to stop, and get out of his way. now i'm from riding plattekill and other east coast spots. and this is just ****ing stupid. i remembering jumping out of peoples way, when they were coming down.
I was the same way when I moved out there... stupid if you ask me.

The other items is that no one in SoCal can be bothered

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I never understood why bikes have to yeild to both horses and hikers...in my 5 year old words, "Thats not fair!"
I try to be cool to everyone I see on trails. You never know who they may be, or when you may run into them again.

Although, out here in the middle of nowhere, I rarely see anyone!
But I smoked some guy on a fs xc rig the other day, climbing past him on my ss.
Okay, he was a lard ass barney trying to find a gear. But to hear him say "WTF, where are your gears?" as I motored by was awesome...
because bikes freak out horses... bad

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
when you come across a horse on the trail its a good idea to say something so the horse recognizes you as a person... what freaks out a horses is that bikes are so quiet.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
We share many of our trails with horses. If I approach a horse head-on I will always start talking to the rider as soon as they can hear me, saying hello etc, and pulling off the trail to give them the whole path. I think talking the whole time lets the horse know I'm people, not a weird clangy machine.

If I approach from behind ( :brows: ) I do the same thing, start talking early to be sure all the equestrians know I'm there, and always ask if it's ok to pass them. I've never had an instance where the rider didn't say hi, thanks, and pull off the side to let me pass.

Oh yea, to the OP, bobbytraps are the worst idea. I hope the law takes this seriously (though I doubt they will).

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
When I was riding in crowded multi use areas, I actually had and used a bell on my bars. Now, in the a$$hole of nowhere, I run silent. But I always enjoyed the reactions I got when I yeilded and/or actually spoke pleasantly to horsey types...

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
but i still for the life of me, Will never understand, the rule. if i'm traveling down a trail at 25mph, and theres another rider coming up the trail. i have to stop, and get out of his way.
It is a courtesy. Who is working harder at that moment? You or the guy climbing.

It's not a debate, but that is the reasoning behind that trail rule.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I think some of the right of way on trails was decided by the flip of a coin. As far as the horses, yeah a freaked out horse is downright dangerous. For both rider and bystanders. But personally, the right of way is a bit mixed up, I think horses should of coarse have the most, due to size and there dangerous nature, second should be bikes, sorry, I just think that bikes should have right of way over hikers, its easier to step aside when on foo tthan it is when on two wheels. And for the most part, where I am from, Hikers give us right of way on the Mtn bikes, and never get upset at us, as long as we respec tthe trail itself. Every once and awhile youll here" Stop Dragging your brakes" Or something like that.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm one of the most courteous riders you'll meet on any track.

If it is a taped-out DH track and there is a person walking their dog down it, I will stop and explain how what he is doing could be dangerous. If I am riding down a walking track and see some people walking, I slow right down, let them pass with a "hello, nice day" kinda attitude.

There are enough stupid w*nkers out there who are rude enough to ruin it for everyone with their 'I'm f*cken awesome' attitudes. You see that a lot here in the Alps.

As for the original posting, I heard of someone being practically decapitated by a line of wire stretched at head-height. I think it was a moto rider, but the horror of trail trapping remains. Anyone caught trapping trails should be dealt to severely.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Around the Bay Area, Tamarancho is the best place for rider-to-rider courteously, understandable since you have to pay $5 for a pass.

Skeggs seems the worse to me, mostly because of SF fvcktards, the same kind of idiots who drive to Donner Pass during a blizzard.

I am usually very polite to hikers and such, but I do complain when encounter hikers on big ride trails. They have enough singletrack for themselves.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
JohnE,

as was said, horses get freaked by the silent moving predators! with how smooooth and silent a bike moves. I have been told that horses view the bikes and riders as a predator. I have a good friend that rides both, and she (who has a lot of clout in the mountain biking community here in Pittsburgh) has basically made it a point to educate both groups.

even if you pull over to let a horse pass sometimes your posture while still sitting on the bike can present an unusual shape which can be mis-viewed by the horse as a predator.

I make it a point to get off of my bike, lay the bike down, stand and talk to the horse and rider. The relationship between the Equine community and the MTB community has to be a good one because although the equestrians only use the trails >4 % of the time... they have fat wallets and a few penstrokes on a check and we can be banned off of OUR trails! Yes I said "ours" they are ours after all, we are the ones building and maintaining them!

Jan 3, 2008
Canada
I'm not sure how much sense it makes to retaliate against bikers as a whole for a single person on person incident.

Some little kid who didn't do anything ends up hitting stuff like that, that's just uncalled for.