Quantcast

This is Alabama, we speak English

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
By the way, my wife would like to point out that you still suck at spelling and grammar. How about learning English yourself before insisting that others do?
I was by no means insisting that others learn English. I posted this because I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with the Ridemonkey community. I just love how everyone nitpicks at how people type, even the smallest error, does it really matter?

I LOlZ at teH Postz...!!111!!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Whose life is this issue affecting really? Yours or the poor mexican who can't communicate? What an honorable cause, to needlessly make peoples lives harder (generally poor migrant workers).

Does it put you off that much to see a sign here and there written in a foreign language? Grow the f*ck up.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Does it put you off that much to see a sign here and there written in a foreign language? Grow the f*ck up.
a 'piso mojado' here; a 'cuidado' there, and next thing you know, we're talking like a squeaky dora the explorer

at which point we'd might as well write latin on our currency

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I was by no means insisting that others learn English. I posted this because I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with the Ridemonkey community. I just love how everyone nitpicks at how people type, even the smallest error, does it really matter?

I LOlZ at teH Postz...!!111!!
Really... Because what exactly does "I do agree with him" and "I hope he wins" mean then?

This is a pretty interesting article/video about Tim James who is running for governor of Alabama. He wants to change the driver's license exams to english only, its currently offered in 12 languages.

Article: http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Tim-James-ad.aspx?cp-searchtext=Tim James ad?GT1=36010

Video: http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/james-speak-english-if-you-want-to-live-in-alabama/6f4bbmb?form=msnlfa

I do agree with him, but can see how it can lead to some problems.
Hope he wins.
We're just pointing out that if you're going to insist on something like a drivers license exam to be only given in English, you might want to ACTUALLY LEARN HOW TO WRITE/SPEAK IT FIRST. Because otherwise you might just look like a redneck racist hypocrite who can't spell. Lolz.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
Really... Because what exactly does "I do agree with him" and "I hope he wins" mean then?
I do agree that the test should be in English because road signs, freeway signs, etc, are in English, and alot of people dont understand the language. But I also said that I can see how it can lead to problems, such as illegal drivers, racial controversy and whatnot. I hope he wins because I am interested in seeing the outcome of the change in the exams.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I do agree that the test should be in English because road signs, freeway signs, etc, are in English, and alot of people dont understand the language. But I also said that I can see how it can lead to problems, such as illegal drivers, racial controversy and whatnot. I hope he wins because I am interested in seeing the outcome of the change in the exams.
You have a most curious sense of logic.

Tell me, do you find images of Sarah Palin arousing ? When she speaks, are you inspired ?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Your reading comprehension is as bad as your spelling*.
Did you not read that post earlier on where it was pointed out that road signage around the world follows the same design convention.
A stop sign is designed to visually look like a stop sign no matter where you are in the world. The lettering on them is largely unimportant.... And most of the freeway signs are place names. Why do you think the place name would change in another language??????

ps doesn't your browser have spell check?

*yes I know my spelling is pretty bad, but I look like a genius beside this clown.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
I posted this article becuase I thought you guys would find this interesting. Guess not, because all you care about is proper spelling and grammar. I'm done here.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I posted this article becuase I thought you guys would find this interesting. Guess not, because all you care about is proper spelling and grammar. I'm done here.
ignore that pack of cunts
they just haters; hatin'

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Posting the article for discussion is fine. Advocating that driver's tests should only be given in a language that you apparently can't even write/spell/use correctly only opens yourself up to ridicule and mockery.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Posting the article for discussion is fine. Advocating that driver's tests should only be given in a language that you apparently can't even write/spell/use correctly only opens yourself up to ridicule and mockery.
uh, i believe you mean drivers' tests. if you meant what you wrote, you need either a definite or indefinite article before driver's test. notice i corrected your plural, as there is only one written test per driver.

just in case you're open to ridicule & mockery...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
^^ Only two problems with that:

1) I'm not advocating an "English only" viewpoint, therefore correcting me (while "clever" on your part) doesn't actually bring up the hypocrisy issue that has been raised in this thread.
2) A "driver" is a single unit, and therefore the test for said single unit is "driver's test". At least that's how the PA DOT refers to it, as well as the GA DOT.

But hey you tried, so we'll give you a silver star anyway. :)

edit: You may have me on the contradiction in plurality aspect. It would be driver tests, or drivers' tests, depending on whether it would be deemed single article (driver tests) or whether it would add plural throughout the article (drivers' tests). But I stand by the 1st point.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What do you call someone who speaks several languages? A polyglot
What do you call someone who speaks just two languages? Bi-lingual

What do you call someone who speaks just one language? An American.