Quantcast

This is good right?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
"Congress may extend daylight-saving time"

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/07/daylight.saving.ap/index.html

I had to look up whether "Fall back" or "Spring forward" was actually Daylight savings time because I couldn't remember. It turns out that it is "Spring forward". I love having the extra hour of day light in the evening. I get some much more done. I wish we could have it all winter. You might even be able to get an early evening ride out of it...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Virtual day light. The energy savings comes from the difference between the time the sun goes down to the time you turn off the lights and go to bed. If it gets dark and hour later and you still go to bed at the same time, then you turn off the lights an hour sooner than in standard time and thus save a little energy. I think I saw somewhere that it adds up to around 1% savings per day.

Not that I care really. I just want an extra hour of daylight at the end of the day because I'm too lazy to get up early in the morning.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
jdschall said:
Virtual day light. The energy savings comes from the difference between the time the sun goes down to the time you turn off the lights and go to bed. If it gets dark and hour later and you still go to bed at the same time, then you turn off the lights an hour sooner than in standard time and thus save a little energy. I think I saw somewhere that it adds up to around 1% savings per day.

Not that I care really. I just want an extra hour of daylight at the end of the day because I'm too lazy to get up early in the morning.

umm, yeah there would also be a later sunrise - so what about everyone that would now have to turn lights on in the morning (that wern't before)?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
douglas said:
umm, yeah there would also be a later sunrise - so what about everyone that would now have to turn lights on in the morning (that wern't before)?

Hey, who are you to second guess congress? They are always right!

:rolleyes:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i would definitely go for this, and i would further say that for people in the eastern part of the time zones, a 2nd shift would occur from memorial day to labor day. having daylight long after work was a great part of living in dublin.

in boston, the latest sunset is about 8:30. in dublin, the sun never set BEFORE that from April 18th through August 25th.

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
narlus said:
i would definitely go for this, and i would further say that for people in the eastern part of the time zones, a 2nd shift would occur from memorial day to labor day. having daylight long after work was a great part of living in dublin.

in boston, the latest sunset is about 8:30. in dublin, the sun never set BEFORE that from April 18th through August 25th.
Yeah, maybe they could move Boston to the north! That would do it!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
quadricolour said:
Yeah, maybe they could move Boston to the north! That would do it!

:think:

nah, we've already got enough winter. don't need to make it any more brutal.

move it west, maybe near cincinnati (which already has a sunset of 8:15 or so). but bring the mountains w/ it.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Screw it, just leave the clocks where they are right now (DST). . . I hate coming home in the dark during winter. It's depressing. The kids get no outside time; I can't get anything done in the yard. It sucks.

I don't care if it's dark in the morning. . . even on the darkest day of the year here the sun would be up before I get to work. Plus for the hunters, legal shooting would start an hr later. Woohoo!

Where's the downside?