Quantcast

This is Mildly Terrifying

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There are hospital monitors now that mount in the corner of your room and use a combination of radio frequencies to measure heart rate, respiration, temperature, movement, etc. The tech has been there for a while.

We're going to need some strong data privacy laws in the future. It's too bad most of the people making the laws are technology morons who either hand wave away the details of nearly impossible tasks (e.g. encryption must have a way that only law enforcement can get in, but not the bad guys), or think minor inconveniences to multi-billion dollar businesses are going to cause the Free Market to spiral into the toilet.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Ironically the tech has been in use via apple for years now since the iphone 6S series and the first debut of the apple watch and has been polished much since then. Albeit the AI is fairly mundane and its implementation is convenience based the tech is no doubt going to be used for commercial purposes and who know else what. The latest hand washing and other biometrics included in the last watch IOS update are pretty interesting to read.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ironically the tech has been in use via apple for years now since the iphone 6S series and the first debut of the apple watch and has been polished much since then. Albeit the AI is fairly mundane and its implementation is convenience based the tech is no doubt going to be used for commercial purposes and who know else what. The latest hand washing and other biometrics included in the last watch IOS update are pretty interesting to read.
The fascinating thing to me is less than we're capable of measuring these things, but that we are now capable of measuring them with almost no indication that it's being done - no consent by the person being measured, and no awareness that it has happened.

The fact that an Apple Watch or whatever can do this is interesting, but the fact that I could walk past a box mounted on the side of a building and have running analytics of my health data without touching or even getting close to me is pretty weird.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The fascinating thing to me is less than we're capable of measuring these things, but that we are now capable of measuring them with almost no indication that it's being done - no consent by the person being measured, and no awareness that it has happened.

The fact that an Apple Watch or whatever can do this is interesting, but the fact that I could walk past a box mounted on the side of a building and have running analytics of my health data without touching or even getting close to me is pretty weird.
Faraday cage clothing. Let's Kickstarter it.