Quantcast

This is pretty random, but it's worth a shot...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
.... I have part of what I think is fossil and I would be cool if I could have it identified.

When I was younger I went on a family vacation to Utah. I can't remember where it exactly was (I think near Lake Powel) but I definately found a rock about 4 or 5 square inches in area with what appears to be part of a large fossil on the surface. Now when you're a kid sometimes your imagination takes a hold of you, so for a while I never though much about it.

This year, my families' puppy ended up getting in my room and got to some stones and rocks that were in the bottom of a desk I have and managed to get this rock. Well I took a look at it and told my father that the damn thing has to be some sort of fossil and he said he had always thought that which is why he kept it.

Well, I would like to see if I could somehow find out firstly if it is indeed a fossil (of which I am 99% sure it is) and secondly if it is possible to identify it. I figure if this is something that you would need to pay for then whatever, but is this something that museums or universities do?

Edit
Or by any off chance do we have any paleontologist :monkey: 's ?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I don't have it on me at the moment since it is at my house (I'm in college and stressing to graduate in the next 10 or so days), however I do a digital camera and will try to get some pictures.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
We had something similar to what you are describing found at a camp I worked at. We were all interested in what it was and called up the Natural History museum. They were more than helpful in identifying the piece(old sea creature shell of some sort). It wasn't anything especially interesting or rare, just a neat fossil that we didn't know about.

I'm sure if you have a similar museum near they would help out, but still, post some pictures.

The Ito

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Cool, try to find out what it is. Then sell it on ebay if its something or not. People will buy anything on ebay, My one friend sold driftwood and someone bought it!

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
i got to touch a dinosaur poop one time. my teacher in third grade handed it to me, and i didn't know what it was, so i was touching it and holding it, and then she told me it was T-rex poop. i threw it on the ground and it broke.