Quantcast

This is the coolest way to Roll, I don't care WHO you are!

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
bikenweed said:
Sorry, but this hippy can't say anything positive about that.
This might be a little closer to home for you...

Unless you're driving a VW bus, it's tough to beat the small pickup with mis-matched camper shell and a dozen or so stickers to tie it all together. On the other hand, I'd probably get laid a lot more often if I were cruising around in that porsche.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
spectaculardark said:
yeh i can see it now:
riding home from the trails with ur muddy ass hardtail uptop your porsche w/ the top down letting the wind sling all the mud into ur priceless car.

Yep, thats exactly what I was thinking when I saw it :rolleyes:

:monkey:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
macko said:
Unless you're driving a VW bus, it's tough to beat the small pickup with mis-matched camper shell and a dozen or so stickers to tie it all together. On the other hand, I'd probably get laid a lot more often if I were cruising around in that porsche.
Agreed. Save the money by not buying the Porche, spend it on a cheap truck, then road trip and ride all over the place. Might as well live a life of adventure. Plus, those Porche's, from what I understand, get some poor gas mileage, and are dang unreliable. Yuck.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
bikenweed said:
Agreed. Save the money by not buying the Porche, spend it on a cheap truck, then road trip and ride all over the place. Might as well live a life of adventure. Plus, those Porche's, from what I understand, get some poor gas mileage, and are dang unreliable. Yuck.
what if someone can afford both the porsche and the "life of adventure"?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ford pick-up or Porsche....hhmmmmm :think:

I think I'd go with the Porsche. If you can afford a Porsche WITH a bike-rack, on a Porsche that's a convertible....I figure one could afford a 2000.00 pick-up......I'm just sayin' :rolleyes:

Of course, it ain't me, so the pickup for me would be the way to go...:thumb:

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
BigMike said:
A few people did a DH Shuttle trip yesterday, and I have to say, this is by far the most bling bling way to roll :thumb:

"bling bling" ? Who cares about bling? I care more about performance.

It handles very nicely but is underpowered, relatively low top end, and has very little usable storage space for road trips...

bikenweed said:
and are dang unreliable
You "understand" incorrectly.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
justsomeguy said:
"bling bling" ? Who cares about bling? I care more about performance.

It handles very nicely but is underpowered, relatively low top end, and has very little usable storage space for road trips...

You "understand" incorrectly.
Nope, it's ALL about the bling bling......

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
johnbryanpeters said:
That combo's stupid.

Dump the rack, use the Porsche for Porscheing and get a more suitable vehicle for expeditions.
Why can't expeditions include some spirited driving? Getting someplace can be much more fun in a sportscar.

Who are you to decide what's suitable?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
bikenweed said:
Plus, those Porche's, from what I understand, get amazing gas mileage for fast cars (GT3 getting the same mileage as a G45), and are the most reliable exotics. Yum.
Fixed it for you ;)

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I think what ticks me off just a little is the dude who owns the car and bike is one of the nicest guys I have met riding. So the commentary seems a bit out of context.

Bottom line, the car AND bike is something you don't see everyday, and therefore has a certain amount of appeal and novelty to it.....in a "gitter done" sort of way...:D

Again, I could only do the truck if I had the where-with-all...

Just thought you should know....:)

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
johnbryanpeters said:
Pete,

I have a direct mandate from god to decide what transportation's suitable, similar to the one you seem to have on image esthetics and quality. :D
There's a distinct difference between recognizing that an image is fuzzy and poorly composed and determining that a vehicle is unsuitable just because you apparently can't understand what it would be like to road trip in one...

Feb 13, 2006
bikenweed said:
Sorry, but this hippy can't say anything positive about that.
me neither. as a refugee from Yuppie Bureaucrat Central myself, I like the fact that I don't see such grotesque "bling" wastes of money and materials and labor on the same hourly basis I used to in the DC area. the fact that people say "nice toy" shows how addled and duped are most people who don't know any other way than rank acquisitiveness fueled by envy and other forms of insecurity.

in other words,

what a fuggin' poseur loser insecure ricedyck.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
particle bored said:
me neither. as a refugee from Yuppie Bureaucrat Central myself, I like the fact that I don't see such grotesque "bling" wastes of money and materials and labor on the same hourly basis I used to in the DC area. the fact that people say "nice toy" shows how addled and duped are most people who don't know any other way than rank acquisitiveness fueled by envy and other forms of insecurity.

in other words,

Class envy isn't pretty, as you've shown.

I's funny that you think he's insecure when your post oozes insecurity.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
particle bored said:

in other words,

Bitter that you're poor or just a communist at heart?

Seriously, why does it matter to you what people spend their money on?

Someone clearly wishes they had more "toys". :rolleyes:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
johnbryanpeters said:
That combo's stupid.

Dump the rack, use the Porsche for Porscheing and get a more suitable vehicle for expeditions.
i gotta agree with that. the bike rack just adds a ton of wind resistance and you are gonna feel that bike moving around everytime you go around a turn quickly. but hey, whatever floats your boat.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
LOL, I can't believe such an innocent thread became a pissing match! I think the pic is great. If you don't like it, who cares.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
johnbryanpeters said:
Who are you to decide who's insecure? :D :eviltongu
Someone who just read a vitriolic manifesto.

Is commenting that a POST oozes insecurity always the same as calling someone insecure?

johnbryanpeters said:
Lighten up, boy.
Physician, heal thyself.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
bikenweed said:
That's a lot of weight really high up on the car. I definitely can tell the difference in corners with the bike on top vs. bikeless.
That's a different subject (moving the CG upward).

The question that I posed was how does gnurider1080 know that the bike is going to move around every time you go around a corner?.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
mud'n'sweat said:
LOL, I can't believe such an innocent thread became a pissing match! I think the pic is great. If you don't like it, who cares.
So true. I take back my non-positive comment. Sorry, I just don't really see the point in such a vehicle, and never will. I'm surprised so many people are stoked on that thing, but yeah, it is definitely something you don't see every day.

It's amazing to me how many bike riders take cars so seriously, even more so than their bikes. Cars have become so connected to personal image it's really hard to get a subjective look at them anymore. Oh well, carry on.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
justsomeguy said:
The question that I posed was how does gnurider1080 know that the bike is going to move around every time you go around a corner?.
how do i know? its common sense. if you have ever looked at any bike rack when driving you know that the bike moves no matter how stiff the rack is. especially a rack like that where the one arm that is attached to the frame allows for plenty of flex. have you ever really taken a corner quickly while driving? there are alot of forces being placed on the car and everything in it and on it at that point so it will cause the bike rack to flex. especially with the higher center of gravity with the bike it will be very exaggerated because the higher up the cog, the more of an impact these forces have on the car. sure maybe my answer is not 100% technically correct but you should get the idea. im no engineer and havent taken a real physics course in high school yet so maybe there are some flaws in what im talking about, but at least i know it is smarter than most of your posts in this thread right now.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
gnurider1080 said:
how do i know? its common sense.
Common sense apparently isn't so common.

gnurider1080 said:
if you have ever looked at any bike rack when driving you know that the bike moves no matter how stiff the rack is.
Whether that movement is noticable, as you claim it is, is the point of my question.

Refresher:

"you are gonna feel that bike moving around everytime you go around a turn quickly"

gnurider1080 said:
have you ever really taken a corner quickly while driving?
Thousands and thousands of times. Even with a bike rack on top of a car cornering at over one gee.

Given that I now know that you don't have much (any?) driving experience I can understand your initial confusion.

gnurider1080 said:
im no engineer and havent taken a real physics course in high school yet so maybe there are some flaws in what im talking about, but at least i know it is smarter than most of your posts in this thread right now.
Study hard and then get some driving experience and you'll realize how preposterous your "smarter" claim is.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
bikenweed said:
It's amazing to me how many bike riders take cars so seriously, even more so than their bikes.
What some people can't fathom is that for some people cars are also toys. Cars can and are used for recreation in addition to being used for simple transportation.

There's an interesting parralel between bikes and cars. Many folks use bikes for transportation and/or recreation. Many of the transportation-only folks riding their beater commuters can't understand people who spend thousands of dollars on toys to use in the woods. It's kind of like people who can't understand paying X amount (which is a great deal of money to them based upon their financial situation) for a fun car.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
mud'n'sweat said:
FOR REAL!!

justsomeguy said:
There's an interesting parralel between bikes and cars. Many folks use bikes for transportation and/or recreation. Many of the transportation-only folks riding their beater commuters can't understand people who spend thousands of dollars on toys to use in the woods. It's kind of like people who can't understand paying X amount (which is a great deal of money to them based upon their financial situation) for a fun car.
Good point :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
A guy in my home town has that exact same car.
He is far from rich.
He was in the army, but I am not sure what he is doing now.
Anyway, he bought that car used for $27,000.
He did not buy it to for a status symbol, or to get laid, or for any of the other odd reason.
He bought it because he wanted an awesome handling car, and driving is his hobby. Nothing wrong with that.

Actually, I think putting a roof rack on that car is downright silly, but it could be this guy's only option. He may not be able to afford a beater truck as well.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
particle bored said:

in other words,

Dude, where were you during the ethics debate? :)

Anyway I agree with you, except that it's unfair to label this guy as insecure. While many people with high-zoot cars are insecure, many also just like fast cars. And I've never seen a roof rack on a Boxter. A local racer has a rack on his black SS Nova, it's pretty cool. That car is a beast.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The owner of the car has a very intelligent and massively HOT fiance...simply elegant.....so as far as insecurities go...doubt it. he also gives back to the community, so much so it is his job.....

So, he owns a cool car with a bike rack on it, and a dirt jumper on the rack. The ones bitchin the loudest are obviously the most jealous.

Funny thing is, we talked about the negative asshats on RM while we shuttled....:think:

Oh well, we had fun, cool pic, and that cannot be changed...:)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
justsomeguy said:
Study hard and then get some driving experience and you'll realize how preposterous your "smarter" claim is.
well maybe it could just be my experience with driving a car with something on the roof. it felt like the car had a little wobble when coming out of a corner that i took too fast, but then again it was one of those thule dome things and not a bike. thats probably why our opinions are different.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
a lot of haters in this thread.

Here's an idea, y'all don't buy a porsche with a rack. That work for you?