Quantcast

This is what we'd like from The Industry™

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Why not!

I'd like to see Fox take Marzoocchi back to their roots. To separate the 2 companies by making 2 different suspensions-
Fox stays with the air stuff... More racer oriented I guess. XC thru DH. Air rear shocks specifically.

Marzoocchi goes back to coil and oil (open bath? Why not!). The '05-07' years were truly amazing. The 888, 66, 55, etc. I never really thought of Marz as XC oriented. They were so fucking plush. Something I don't think exists anymore. Marzoocchi rear suspension as coil.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The damping was real bad in those years. Do not want back. There were a couple years with the RC2 evo Ti v2 or type R or something that was actually decent, but otherwise the chassis stability was horrible for those other years.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just want decent dampers. Even with air springs, this is better than coil with crap dampers and unfortunately this cost cutting always leads to crap dampers.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
The damping was real bad in those years. Do not want back. There were a couple years with the RC2 evo Ti v2 or type R or something that was actually decent, but otherwise the chassis stability was horrible for those other years.
I still use one of those (2013?) on the DH bike with an Avy cartridge and a 27.5 wheel stuffed into it. Full coil baby!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I still use one of those (2013?) on the DH bike with an Avy cartridge and a 27.5 wheel stuffed into it. Full coil baby!
Well yeah, that’s a totally different monster. Why couldn’t the industry just make those en mass?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well yeah, that’s a totally different monster. Why couldn’t the industry just make those en mass?
Other than the fancy blow off valve, there is no voodoo.
Don't see why a good old fashioned proper shimmed damper can not be a production thing.
(Not like that was a fully realized thing on the RC3 Type R anyway)
Buy if they did that, they would have to do something to fuck it up cause Fox sales - probably.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Abide by the mantra: "Will this change make things worse? If yes, then let's not do it."

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
#M26GA.................Make 26" Great Again!
Call it 559Endurad or "retro", "heritage" or whatever, but do it!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
20mm boost axles and decent arch shaped arches like Fox are finally doing, stylized arches are dumb.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You've just described the current Fox 40

is your letter to Santa always so cryptic?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You've just described the current Fox 40

is your letter to Santa always so cryptic?
Haha, I am a fat guy that wants a 130mm fork with 20mm axle, I think the only way to get that is to buy a Formula Selva but they put a thin flat bit in the middle of the arch to undo the good work that the 20mm axle does.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The return of 20mm axles. Feels like that state farm ad where the guy keeps going "oh- you almost had it! Better get it!" with the dollar on the fishing rod... we went 15mm, then long 15mm, and we keep skipping over 20mm.

I agree about zokes. Would be neat to see fox chassis without kashima plus coils and last years' dampers. I don't feel like that would undercut FOX's market placement, but would give a nice reliable product that people wouldn't have to worry so much about maintaining.

I'd like to see a triple crown trail/enduro fork. Don't see why it couldn't happen with the right engineering...but I know it won't. Single crown forks are pretty darn good.

Aluminum bikes. I have carbon, I get it- they are light and stiff...but I'm not as scared of aluminum anymore. A dent is not a death sentence and the stiffness compliments full suspension sometimes. I feel like there's a new niche now that EVERYBODY is doing carbon.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
- External rear brake hose routing.
- Keep the current hub spacing, BB and headset standards. No matter how attractive that 0.028% performance improvement this new standard you are developing is expected to provide, just don't do it.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And I'd like to see shocks and forks that are meant to be user-serviceable, so maybe something less than 95% of them weren't just run into the ground till they die. And by "user serviceable" I just mean no ridiculous shit like plugging the charging hole, needle shit, tiny little watch-parts just to access the internals like FIT, no bleed ports, etc. And hell, even then most home-mechanics may pass up working on it, but at least at that level it's no worse than a derailleur or BB and freaking shops can do it, vs. these days when the chances of a shop correctly servicing suspension is low.

I sent in my DPS to get digressive valving to match bike bike, but it had this installed. Of course they took it off and replaced it with their dipshit system, but I was hoping they would at least send it back to me. Nope. I sent them a follow up asking for it back. If they say they can't, I'll send them a return receipt letter asking for either it back or the amount to buy it refunded. I did not authorize them to keep my property.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Canada specific - stop the bologna with the distributors being the point of contact for majority of the brands sold here. They suck. It sucks. It adds time and confusion and sometimes your only option is going to an equally sucky bike shop.

Or why do we need to do warranty crap through local shops?

Two examples;

OneUp - if you buy directly from them, they have no problems dealing directly with you. Buy through a shop? They'll tell you to go back there and deal with them.

Many other brands - no matter where you got the part, the brands will not help. They'll tell you to go through the distributor. If you contact the distributor, they will tell you to screw off and go to one of their dealers. The dealers will then hum and haw over it, maybe do it maybe not; if they do it, maybe you'll get a call back from them, maybe not.

It's frustrating.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
- External rear brake hose routing.
- Keep the current hub spacing, BB and headset standards. No matter how attractive that 0.028% performance improvement this new standard you are developing is expecting to provide, just don't do it.
I think everything should be BB386 or T47 going forward. I see that there's now a T47 internal too. Sheesh. Give me big bearings and 30mm spindles with the ability to remove and tighten my own cups. BB386 if you have to give me pressfit. There's little reason for anything else or any new standards at this point

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Canada specific - stop the bologna with the distributors being the point of contact for majority of the brands sold here. They suck. It sucks. It adds time and confusion and sometimes you're only option is going to an equally sucky bike shop.

Two examples;

OneUp - if you buy directly from them, they have no problems dealing directly with you. Buy through a shop? They'll tell you to go back there and deal with them.

Many other brands - no matter where you got the part, the brands will not help. They'll tell you to go through the distributor. If you contact the distributor, they will tell you to screw off and go to one of their dealers. The dealers will then hum and haw over it, maybe do it maybe not; if they do it, maybe you'll get a call back from them, maybe not.

It's frustrating.

...and then add to that...

When you contact a Mfg regarding a part and they tell you, you have to go through your countries distributor. Then when you contact the distributor, they tell you that they don't carry that part. :butcher:

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Canada specific - stop the bologna with the distributors being the point of contact for majority of the brands sold here. They suck. It sucks. It adds time and confusion and sometimes you're only option is going to an equally sucky bike shop.

Two examples;

It's frustrating.
that‘s what the EU is for

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Two examples;

It's frustrating.
We got the same problem. When I warrantied my pivot, they insisted that I go through their shop...except their shop no longer even carried pivot, so it was all a bunch of confusing BS that was not necessary...for an obvious flaw. They took care of it, but it was just a step of BS that is not necessary.

To be fair, the manufacturers want the benefit of a shop that promotes and sells their brand, without the actual hard work and effort it takes. When was the last time one of these smaller manufacturers compensated the shop for their time dealing with a warranty issue? For autos, they are reimbursed from the manufacturer for doing warranty work. The auto-dealer is a fucked up thing too, but at least in this part the manufacturer is on the hook for the time and effort. If the dealer isn't getting paid for it, they aren't going to give a crap.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
that‘s what the EU is for
That's unfortunately true, as now I order most things from EU instead of doing the circus thing like @canadmos said. Especially for DT and Magura parts, which are incredibly cheaper and more available than here.
What happens when you need to warranty that part? You'll still be in the same boat and depending on the brand, they might tell you to screw off when they find out you shipped it from out of country.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
  • More aluminum bikes with external routing
  • More aluminum 820mm width 31.8 bars with low back/up sweep and up to 50mm rise
  • More stack on larger size frames and the option of more stack on smaller frames for taller people that want to downsize.
  • Longer chainstays on long bikes
  • More 1.5 headtubes
  • 8 and 7 speed cassettes made of high grade steels with ~20%'ish step gear ratios and up to 42 to 46 tooth.
  • An improved method to achieve caliper alignment if you don't use Hayes.
  • Metal brake hoses.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah people forget "plush" in those forks meant "how do you say damping in italian?"

Still even the early forks had plenty to like - they were really hassle free and reliable. Though yeah 55RC3 Evo TI was amazing. Too bad it came too early and there is no big wheel version

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
  • More aluminum bikes with external routing
I found one thing that you may appreciate. Bird bikes offers bikes where you can chose if your bike has internal or external routing. Those bikes are also cheap and have amazing customizable specs

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
More aluminum 820mm width 31.8 bars with low back/up sweep and up to 50mm rise
How freaky tall and what wingspan are you to want 820?

With a 6'5" wingspan I tried wider than 780 and didn't like it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wingspan measurement has a lot less relevance to how wide a bar you'll feel comfortable using than you may think. Firstly wingspan says nothing about how wide your shoulders are. But even if it did your body position on the bike and how long a reach it has will also contribute to how wide a bar you'll be comfortable with. Not to mention how inboard and how you physically hold your hands on the grips will also make a pretty big difference.
I overhang my pinkie knuckles off the ends of my grips on 780s (790mm with grips) which naturally forces your elbows outwards more than holding the central portion of a grip and the distance from the outside edge to outside edge of my hands is more like 820mm. I'm a lot shorter than you at just under 6' with a wingspan of 6'2" but it's my chest/shoulders that give me that wingspan rather than long arms/fingers.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
How freaky tall and what wingspan are you to want 820?

With a 6'5" wingspan I tried wider than 780 and didn't like it.
I'm 6'3" with a 6'8" wingspan. Fairly broad shoulders contribute to some of the added length. Buying button up shirts has always been a bit of a challenge. I'm pretty sure that I'd run narrower than 820, but I like the idea of a little extra length so you have an opportunity to cut down. It's easier to remove length then to add.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wingspan measurement has a lot less relevance to how wide a bar you'll feel comfortable using than you may think. Firstly wingspan says nothing about how wide your shoulders are. But even if it did your body position on the bike and how long a reach it has will also contribute to how wide a bar you'll be comfortable with. Not to mention how inboard and how you physically hold your hands on the grips will also make a pretty big difference.
I overhang my pinkie knuckles off the ends of my grips on 780s (790mm with grips) which naturally forces your elbows outwards more than holding the central portion of a grip and the distance from the outside edge to outside edge of my hands is more like 820mm. I'm a lot shorter than you at just under 6' with a wingspan of 6'2" but it's my chest/shoulders that give me that wingspan rather than long arms/fingers.
Yeah, the push-up thing is bullshit.