Quantcast

This is what we'd like from The Industry™

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I'd like to see an end to constant unnecessary change- Shimano is my main one here. But there are plenty of others. Let's look at XT brakes for instance.

Say you need XT brake pads. There's probably 10 different versions of XT bp by now. Not to mention compounds, ice tech, 2vs4 piston and other variations. You need an exact model number. That fucking blows.

Trek is another one. Every year I broke a frame, the replacement chainstays caused compatability issues. 135mm to 12x142. The next one had a flip-chip. So new seatstays had to come a week later. Different brake mounts were needed now. WTF...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd like to see an end to constant unnecessary change- Shimano is my main one here. But there are plenty of others. Let's look at XT brakes for instance.

Say you need XT brake pads. There's probably 10 different versions of XT bp by now. Not to mention compounds, ice tech, 2vs4 piston and other variations. You need an exact model number. That fucking blows.

Trek is another one. Every year I broke a frame, the replacement chainstays caused compatability issues. 135mm to 12x142. The next one had a flip-chip. So new seatstays had to come a week later. Different brake mounts were needed now. WTF...
Everybody wants that aside from the industry. I tried to make a point about bottom bracket standards only to find out that there's another bottom bracket standard (T47 internal). What absolute rubbish....

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Top tip: Shimano brake pads have a handy product code printed on the backing plate to help you buy the correct replacements.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The problem there is marginal gains to inconclusive improvements.
However, that *might* be a little of ‘not seeing the forest for the trees’. The totality of all of these marginal gains over the last 40 years is having the most fucking outstanding bikes today that are just so, so fun to ride. Sure, there were some blind alleyways and wrong turns, but here we are.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
If you're going to use tiny ass Torx bolts, please label them clearly. Especially if they are recessed and you can't tell very well if they are a Torx or Allen without first jacking up the bolt with the wrong tool.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Shimano's decision to invent a new I-Spec version every year is bad enough, but I had to replace a brake line on a borrowed DJ last week which led me down the rabbit hole of Shimano brake line kits. Dear mother of god..... there must be 15 different combinations of brake hose and mounting bolts depending on the caliper and lever.

If you're going to use tiny ass Torx bolts, please label them clearly. Especially if they are recessed and you can't tell very well if they are a Torx or Allen without first jacking up the bolt with the wrong tool.
Special hatred for the use of Torx security bits on bike parts. Thats a whole extra level of BS

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I had to replace a brake line on a borrowed DJ last week which led me down the rabbit hole of Shimano brake line kits. Dear mother of god..... there must be 15 different combinations of brake hose and mounting bolts depending on the caliper and lever
MD038A5SAV.png

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Commencal Clash is still a good un. Nukeproof still does some as well.
Yup, more options is always better though. However, I fully understand that I'm well in the minority. I think it's telling that the V5 Nomad was only around for ~1 year before being replaced by the V6 mullet.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Shimano's decision to invent a new I-Spec version every year is bad enough, but I had to replace a brake line on a borrowed DJ last week which led me down the rabbit hole of Shimano brake line kits. Dear mother of god..... there must be 15 different combinations of brake hose and mounting bolts depending on the caliper and lever.

Special hatred for the use of Torx security bits on bike parts. Thats a whole extra level of BS
I agree completely. This is why I've established a PASSION OF HATE for sram shit. Like my post in the "TIWWWTI" thread, they have a dictionary of how to install a fucking BB and disc brake mounts. Most others, you buy the conversion mount, put in the 2 bolts supplied and mount the caliper. Done.

Sram? Redicoulous.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'd like if NSK, NTN or SKF started making the proprietary bearing sizes and stuff that Enduro does. While I'm stoked the extended race options do away with the fiddly little spacers that go in pivots, Enduro bearings are bloody useless for reliability/sealing.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
How good would they have to be to offset the fact that they don't make spare parts available?
Is that grounds for a refund in other parts of the world?
I'm pretty sure it would be in Australia, the government get angry and get you your money back even after warranties have expired if things stop working.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
However, that *might* be a little of ‘not seeing the forest for the trees’. The totality of all of these marginal gains over the last 40 years is having the most fucking outstanding bikes today that are just so, so fun to ride. Sure, there were some blind alleyways and wrong turns, but here we are.
Sorry but not really at least not for all changes.

The real reason bikes are fun to ride are geometry and suspension. Bikes were plenty durable in 2010. Since then we went through a billion of standard changes. Bikes didn't really get lighter if you think alu frames.

So assuming all of the "0.1% change in excel" will translate to real noticeable differences is a bit of a stretch. Some changes make sense. Others are dumb. We can appreciate some of the good while noticing the industry has a tentency to push silly standard so they can market them to us and sell us on new BS.

PS. From those 40 years at least 30 were not marginal gains but someone making a big improvement in 1 area and everyone following ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I sent in my DPS to get digressive valving to match bike bike, but it had this installed. Of course they took it off and replaced it with their dipshit system, but I was hoping they would at least send it back to me. Nope. I sent them a follow up asking for it back. If they say they can't, I'll send them a return receipt letter asking for either it back or the amount to buy it refunded. I did not authorize them to keep my property.
Update: Well at least they agreed to refund me the difference of the part.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Small reminder:
Riding ANY bike ANYWHERE whether alone or with friends will always be infinitely more fun than harping on and on about what is most "correct" at the present time. Nevermind moaning about what's NOW become "incorrect"

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Small reminder:
Riding ANY bike ANYWHERE whether alone or with friends will always be infinitely more fun than harping on and on about what is most "correct" at the present time. Nevermind moaning about what's NOW become "incorrect"

Id like to try that “riding” thing sometime.

DCB992D5-05AE-4A94-ABEA-0C990254C9D0.jpeg