Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Nah pretty sure they said that the minimum was 150mm, I'm happy with the Mezzer, don't think I'd go back to a Suntour now. Durolux was cheap, tall, had easy travel adjust and a 20mm axle which was what I wanted at the time, now they don't have 20mm axles or easy travel adjustment and they have the same damper which leaked pretty quickly in mine, oh and the bushings were pretty sloppy too, still better than a Z1 though, hahaha!
Your 20 mm axle fork had the PCS damper? I had a 20 mm one but it had the older damper in it.

What was wrong with the Z1?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Your 20 mm axle fork had the PCS damper? I had a 20 mm one but it had the older damper in it.

What was wrong with the Z1?
Yeah the PCS, after I worked out how to sorta bleed the thing it seemed pretty decent, the leaking possibly had to do with the bushing wear loading up the shaft seal too much.
I didn't try to get a seal for it, maybe it is a stock seal......? I'll have to see if I still have the damper in the garage.

I have whinged about the Z1 enough but I couldn't get a setting between spiky and divy, @englertracing knows the fix, I should probably do it as I am going to donate the fork to a friend, I felt guilty selling it as it sucked so much.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Yeah the PCS, after I worked out how to sorta bleed the thing it seemed pretty decent, the leaking possibly had to do with the bushing wear loading up the shaft seal too much.
I didn't try to get a seal for it, maybe it is a stock seal......? I'll have to see if I still have the damper in the garage.

I have whinged about the Z1 enough but I couldn't get a setting between spiky and divy, @englertracing knows the fix, I should probably do it as I am going to donate the fork to a friend, I felt guilty selling it as it sucked so much.
Isn't the Z1 just a fox 36 with an M shaped arch?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
his articles have gotten unreadable lately. my kid this, companies should do that for kids, blablabla
My weekend felt somehow incomplete... Couldn't quite work out why... Turns out it was just devoid of reading irrational hatred towards children

Aaahh... All better now!

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Not really Industry per se, but working at remote sites these days means plenty of time in the car listening to random podcasts and the Downtime podcast just keeps getting more dialled.

The current one with Martin Whitley is hectic good - full of tidbits about UCI rules, the behind the scenes stuff, working with Minaar and Gwin and the Honda boys.
FFS, what do you mean "more dialed"? I just decided to listen to the MW one and after 3 minutes of listening to a dog yelping in the background, I turned that shit off. If that's "dialed", I'd hate to see what a bad podcast is.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
FFS, what do you mean "more dialed"? I just decided to listen to the MW one and after 3 minutes of listening to a dog yelping in the background, I turned that shit off. If that's "dialed", I'd hate to see what a bad podcast is.
Really? I listened to it over the weekend and loved it. I think I heard the dog barking once or twice but it definitely didn’t take away from the interview for me. That guys a wealth of knowledge when it comes to DH racing.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Really? I listened to it over the weekend and loved it. I think I heard the dog barking once or twice but it definitely didn’t take away from the interview for me. That guys a wealth of knowledge when it comes to DH racing.
He is. But a podcast with a whining dog is not "dialed", but rather annoying AF.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That was a bit intro for them, a bit of of character to be honest. They normally have some of the best audio of the MTB podcasts. Although you're correct - most MTB podcasts have pretty spotty recording going on. Damn dodgy MTB people.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
*bump*

Sam Pilgrim

And anyone else in the industry who's not a moany old bastard and still actually rides bikes for fun.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yes. Mate.
You're old AF too.
The one upside of age related sight deterioration is mirrors being kinder to us in later life

I'm older than KV too.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I thought the ticket S was always frame only. but they also used to be super affordable. (£1k for frame with shock here)

It's great that airdrop are pissing about with ideas but surely 26" would still make most sense in 4X as most heats are won from the gate to first turn. Unless course design has evolved hugely a heavy (33lb+) FS bike with a 150mm fork and 27.5 wheels just doesn't seem like it'd be the best tool for 4X racing.
Mind you Cedric did pretty well BITD on horrendous Cannondales so what do I know.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

In the same week that Santa Cruz whacked a 29 front wheel on the 5010, Airdrop making burly 27.5 play bikes when the big players have all but abandoned short travel 27.5 shenanigan bikes is a good thing to see.
With the second to latest generation 5010 SC tried marketing it as a play bike (remember the 50:1 videos?) but it had always been a trail bike loved by shorter riders, and that's who continued to buy it. In real life working at a SC dealer I never actually saw a 5010 used as a "play bike". It seemed like it kind of lost its way with that generation as it gained a lot of weight and I never saw one being run in the "low" position. At least at our shop its sales tanked compared to the previous two generations. I think the 29 front wheel will help it maintain relevance among trail riders but like the rest of SC's fleet it's crazy heavy for an expensive trail bike. "Play bike" riders will continue to buy aluminum frames from smaller companies, not boutique priced carbon from the big names.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
With the second to latest generation 5010 SC tried marketing it as a play bike (remember the 50:1 videos?) but it had always been a trail bike loved by shorter riders, and that's who continued to buy it. In real life working at a SC dealer I never actually saw a 5010 used as a "play bike". It seemed like it kind of lost its way with that generation as it gained a lot of weight and I never saw one being run in the "low" position. At least at our shop its sales tanked compared to the previous two generations. I think the 29 front wheel will help it maintain relevance among trail riders but like the rest of SC's fleet it's crazy heavy for an expensive trail bike. "Play bike" riders will continue to buy aluminum frames from smaller companies, not boutique priced carbon from the big names.
the 5010 had only one use in my opinion, being one of the only options for short females with short inseams. how‘s the stand over height in the new ones?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
it's just a bike. You don't think you're overthinking it massively?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What I meant was...
Wee bike = preferable for fucking about (jibbing, manualling etc.)
Bigger bikes = preferable (for most) for higher speed mountainbiking.
That doesn't mean you can't do both styles of riding on either

FWIW I found any 5010 I tried to be fairly uninspiring and middle of the road geo and capability wise. ie. not brilliant at either end of the scale. but still a perfectly rideable do most things well enough mtb

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
the specialized status is on the right track.
Surely that's only thought of as a jib bike because they gave Kris Kyle (a small) one to fuck about on?
it's still just a fairly long travel, modern slack and long mullet trail bike.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So you're under the impression 140mm travel is short and 27.5" wheels are small?
Ok.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Yes, in comparison to full 29” long reach chopper bikes with 450mm stays, an s2 140 is very, very small.

I own and operate more 26” slalom and 4x stuff than most people, and yes, i certainly own bikes that are much, much smaller than that. But, just like i was saying back in 2009, at least for me 650b wheels are fun as hell, and a slightly bigger contact patch seems to make the ability to hold drifts/skidz longer.
Modern slopestyle 26” fs bikes are super(as an old man that likes gated racing and trials in equal measure, they don’t work for me) but they aren’t really that good for ruts and backyard tracks and riding across some country on all terrains to go find some dumb lines to play on.

26” rear wheels will never die, but when you ride a good corner track back to back on 26” v 27.5 front wheels, it’s hard not to go faster while feeling safer on a 27.5 front. Besides riding trials-type stuff, or concrete bowls, i’m not sure I actually enjoy riding 26” front wheels any more.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So you're under the impression 140mm travel is short and 27.5" wheels are small?
Ok.
Yes, in comparison to full 29” long reach chopper bikes with 450mm stays, an s2 140 is very, very small.

I own and operate more 26” slalom and 4x stuff than most people, and yes, i certainly own bikes that are much, much smaller than that. But, just like i was saying back in 2009, at least for me 650b wheels are fun as hell, and a slightly bigger contact patch seems to make the ability to hold drifts/skidz longer.
Modern slopestyle 26” fs bikes are super(as an old man that likes gated racing and trials in equal measure, they don’t work for me) but they aren’t really that good for ruts and backyard tracks and riding across some country on all terrains to go find some dumb lines to play on.

26” rear wheels will never die, but when you ride a good corner track back to back on 26” v 27.5 front wheels, it’s hard not to go faster while feeling safer on a 27.5 front. Besides riding trials-type stuff, or concrete bowls, i’m not sure I actually enjoy riding 26” front wheels any more.
1662757309238.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Back to back corners is actually the only place I'm still quicker than my fastest (much younger) riding mates. They're all on 29. While it seems like I'm the last 26 hold out in my entire area. None of them feel safe riding anything on my bikes. Genuinely
I too have ridden 27.5 for a good while. And noticed when swapping back to 26 it tended to feel a little sketchy at first (a bit like swapping from 26" mtb to 20" BMX but more subtle) but i far prefer l'il sketchy bikes again just now. I have so many different bikes because I tend to lose interest if I don't swap riding/bikes from time to time .
You're totally right that longer bikes with 27.5 are easier to hold a drift/skid than a short 26" bike, mannies and wheelies are also easier to hold on bigger wheel longer bikes. (but more effort to initiate). As we've had a super dry summer here this year I've been commuting 20 miles a day through the city on my Dartmoor 4X hardtail with a 210mm dropper. mainly so I can fuck around on one wheel through traffic (mannies downhill or on the flat, wheelies uphill), hop kerbs n shit and ride the odd cheeky urban line instead of obeying daft rules. Even though using my roadbike would be quicker. With it being such a dramatic change from my roadbike or 27.5 Emtb I really quickly realised just how much my skill level had dropped from riding bigger more stable bikes and wheels.
as long as you're having fun. kinda who cares, eh?

i’m not sure I actually enjoy riding 26” front wheels any more.
That's a shame man!
They're still a lot of fun

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Maybe 26s feel sketchy because of the "dated" geometry? I would really like to ride a 26-inch mid travel bike with sub 65° head angle, 470ish reach and 76°+ seat angle. I know it would be faster in my local trails, not so sure about it on steeper stuff, but on XC/trail/jumpy trails it would be fun AF.