Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Personally I'm stoked bike manufacturers are finally putting hooligan head angles on bikes with shorter travel though.
Yes, I agree with this 100%, I almost bought a Black Market Roam as it was the only full rowdy short travel frame I could find at the time. Sadly I read to the bottom of the page and saw the name Pablo Tafoya, so I put my credit card away, don't need a second frame to keep the Corsair warm under the work bench, hahaha!

I like this, if we stayed with straight 1.5" steerers I wouldn't need it, but hey, that's MTB progress. Does what it claims and gets my stem to the right height without having to run any unsightly spacers.

For the first time ever there's not a part on my bike I would really want to change, I do have to add a chainguide though, it seems I can hit more exciting lines on this bike than the old one. Dropping a chain has tried to end my ballsack once and that is enough.

EDIT- Scooby Doo foam inserts are my favourite thing, will never go without Cushcore. As a fat fuck on a hardtail they are a life saver, I just get to hit rocks and not have to add up the dollars with every "dong" sound that came from the back wheel. 1kg ENDURO tyres finally work for me.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
1 part auto slime (appears to have little bits of ground rubber in it)
1 part RV antifreeze
1 part latex mold builder (Michael's is always having some kind of 50% off or buy one get one free sale)
2 parts water.

I usually make it with 1 part water when I mix it for simplicity, and store it in mason jars, then thin it out a bit when I actually use it.
That's pretty close to my recipe, but I never experimented with the RV antifreeze.
What do you think it brings to the party?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yes, I agree with this 100%, I almost bought a Black Market Roam as it was the only full rowdy short travel frame I could find at the time. Sadly I read to the bottom of the page and saw the name Pablo Tafoya, so I put my credit card away, don't need a second frame to keep the Corsair warm under the work bench, hahaha!

I like this, if we stayed with straight 1.5" steerers I wouldn't need it, but hey, that's MTB progress. Does what it claims and gets my stem to the right height without having to run any unsightly spacers.

For the first time ever there's not a part on my bike I would really want to change, I do have to add a chainguide though, it seems I can hit more exciting lines on this bike than the old one. Dropping a chain has tried to end my ballsack once and that is enough.

EDIT- Scooby Doo foam inserts are my favourite thing, will never go without Cushcore. As a fat fuck on a hardtail they are a life saver, I just get to hit rocks and not have to add up the dollars with every "dong" sound that came from the back wheel. 1kg ENDURO tyres finally work for me.
I like the intend headset as well but it is tall and it requires those odd sized spacers, 1 1/8" ID and ~ 40mm OD. Too big ID and that inner sleeve will ride up, too small OD and it becomes a dirt trap. I just ponied up 8e for their 1.5mm spacer which I find less than ideal.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's pretty close to my recipe, but I never experimented with the RV antifreeze.
What do you think it brings to the party?
When I add a little water, it probably keeps the freezing point nice and low, although slime has some gylcol in it too, this probably gets me closer to 50/50 and therefore well into the negatives before it freezes. Probably not important for others. Does it help prevent drying out? Dunno.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Occasionally someone makes something new and cool.

Dedicated presta valve inflator. Fits snugly over a presta valve with or without a valve core installed (if you need more airflow to get a tubeless tire to seat). No fucking around with adapters. Easy to use one handed. Cheap. This thing is rad.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Dedicated presta valve inflator. Fits snugly over a presta valve with or without a valve core installed (if you need more airflow to get a tubeless tire to seat). No fucking around with adapters. Easy to use one handed. Cheap. This thing is rad.
Pretty neat but I've already had to make my own.

I use a cheap ass regular automotive shrader inflators to seat tubeless. You do need to remove the core and will have to turn down the metal thingy on the inflator so it fits into the core-less presta valve. They are usually brass so no lathe required, little more than a drill and a file will do the work just fine.

Last edited:

Pic doesn't work - I found the site, which one were you looking at? https://www.prestacycle.com/product-category/inflation-tools/

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Presta in the MTB world needs to be killed with fire. It already laid off a ton of eggs, but a good flamethrower will take care of those too.
For DECADES I wouldn't run presta. Just fuckin stupid.

You know when I started? When I started having magazines test my bikes.........

But i just use a rubber tipped air nozzle

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
People don't like Presta. Schrader valves are too big... This is the bicycle industry for fuck sake!

There will be a new, incompatible standard next week.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Goddamnit, this is supposed to be a "this is what's right with the industry" thread. Not a "future products that are all but guaranteed now that we opened our fat mouths that can join the things we hate thread"

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
This is what's right with the industry, from the industry side of things: in the vast majority of situations, even competitors in this industry are all friendly to each other in person. Eg, at the mtb festivals, we usually go ride with folks from other competing bike companies and everybody has a good time. We've heard people in other outdoor industries (eg snow sports) comment that the bike industry companies are much friendlier amongst each other.
And, it's enjoyable in most cases working with the folks at supplier companies, which is definitely not always the case in the traditional corporate world.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
This is what's right with the industry, from the industry side of things: in the vast majority of situations, even competitors in this industry are all friendly to each other in person. Eg, at the mtb festivals, we usually go ride with folks from other competing bike companies and everybody has a good time. We've heard people in other outdoor industries (eg snow sports) comment that the bike industry companies are much friendlier amongst each other.
And, it's enjoyable in most cases working with the folks at supplier companies, which is definitely not always the case in the traditional corporate world.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Goddamnit, this is supposed to be a "this is what's right with the industry" thread. Not a "future products that are all but guaranteed now that we opened our fat mouths that can join the things we hate thread"
Conceded. Have to be careful in this thread.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The next time you are at a Lizard Planning Meeting, can you propose that all manufacturers offer three different top tube lengths per size of frame?
That would be great.
They will all hail you as a hero, and a true pioneer!

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The next time you are at a Lizard Planning Meeting, can you propose that all manufacturers offer three different top tube lengths per size of frame?
That would be great.
They will all hail you as a hero, and a true pioneer!
I don’t get invited to the reptile conventions.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I like Presta Valves, but hey, I like the Metric System too.

The last ten years has bought a lot of cool stuff, NW rings, clutched mechs, 6" dropper posts, decent ~2.2Lb 650b tires and Magura even discovered how to make a brake that leaves your sphincter in a permanently relaxed state.

I do like that AM cr-mo hardtails are almost trendy again too, it's a better trend than fat bikes and gravel bikes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah I'm fine with Presta valves too.

Steel hardtails are also great, but most of the ones I see are plus size stupid.

Dec 3, 2007
Wasn't sure where to post this, but I think a road trip is in order..
We've been making trips to the UP since back in the Monster Park days and it gets better every year. The amount and variety of trail building up there over the years has been impressive. Copper Harbor/ Houghton area and Marquette are worth at least a couple days each.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We've been making trips to the UP since back in the Monster Park days and it gets better every year. The amount and variety of trail building up there over the years has been impressive. Copper Harbor/ Houghton area and Marquette are worth at least a couple days each.
I'd like to know more.