Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Regarding waxing chains, after using Progold for 10-15 years, I wanted to try something new. Didn't like WPL's lubes and my cycletouring friend recommended Squirt. After trying it, I was sold on waxing, even having neved used the crockpot+parrafin method (yet, but I just bought a cheap crockpot).

Riding in Eastern Canada, we get all conditions, and the nice thing about waxing is that nothing sticks to the chain. I don't do it to save watts or anything, but if it does, then that's a plus, but the fact that the chain is always clean is awesome.

I just run my mechanical chain cleaner without any cleaner in it on the chain when the bike/chain is dry, just to remove the dust/dirt, and reapply Squirt if needed. The next day it's all dry and ready to ride for many rides. I can go 6-8 wet rides without reapplying.

Now I'll see if the crockpot+paraffin method is even better. The only thing I didn't like about that is cleaning the new chain with brake cleaner of other harsh stuff (I wear a 3M chemical gases respirator while doing it, outside), but I've bought the Silca natural enzyme cleaner to try. Since it's time consuming, I just do 3-4 chains at once and I'm good for a little while afterwards.

So I'd say the chain waxing trend is something that's right in the industry. You can do it for cheap with a 4$ parrafin block, cheap cleaners, or go all fancy, but it's just much less maintenance between rides.
I've been using Rock n Roll Extreme for years now...
1722261541183.png

Same approach: wipe chain after every ride, run through a dry Park chain cleaner, then reapply for one pass on the inside of the chain only. works well for me in all conditions. no residue on the cassette, and very little to none on the chain. On wet rides over two hours I find it'll wash off, and on my city bikes it doesn't last much more than two weeks per application...
Coincidentally, MEC has Squirt now. Maybe I'll grab some. Always up for some lube testing.
:stupid:

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've been using Rock n Roll Extreme for years now...
View attachment 215824
Same approach: wipe chain after every ride, run through a dry Park chain cleaner, then reapply for one pass on the inside of the chain only. works well for me in all conditions. no residue on the cassette, and very little to none on the chain. On wet rides over two hours I find it'll wash off, and on my city bikes it doesn't last much more than two weeks per application...

:stupid:
I bought some of that to use on my XC race bike, instructions are you pretty much soak the chain, wipe it off, then you have to let it dry overnight. I also think it's a bunch of PTFE that settles in the bottom, so I won't buy another bottle as I don't want to add more of that to the environment.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I was using Maxima bicycle chain wax for a while but got sick of the buildup. Currently using T-9 but maybe I’ll try Squirt sometime.

I ride in gritty dez conditions yet nearly every local ride includes at least one year-round creek crossing to get the bike and drivetrain nice and dirty.

Crock pot is too much of a hassle for me.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
6th - doesn’t every bike lube have pfas? (I’m too lazy to look it up.)
Not sure, but that seems to have a lot in it if that's what settles and you have to shake to mix it.

Currently:
Trail bike and hardtail - pro gold for the last 18 or so years.
XC - currently that Rock n Roll Extreme
Road bike - Ceramicspeed drip on wax (https://ceramicspeed.com/products/ufo-drip-all-conditions-100-ml)

The drip wax is expensive, so I've only been using it on my road bike. I haven't been arsed to go full crock pot and melt the stuff.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I use Bikemilk or some Aussie dry stuff. I add tungsten disulpite powder in. Clean and low friction. But would wash off first wet ride but.
Btw i add tungsten disulphite and a generous drip of oil to all of my 2 wheeled machines wheel bearing’s grease. Good stuff that

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Regarding waxing chains, after using Progold for 10-15 years, I wanted to try something new. Didn't like WPL's lubes and my cycletouring friend recommended Squirt. After trying it, I was sold on waxing, even having neved used the crockpot+parrafin method (yet, but I just bought a cheap crockpot).

Riding in Eastern Canada, we get all conditions, and the nice thing about waxing is that nothing sticks to the chain. I don't do it to save watts or anything, but if it does, then that's a plus, but the fact that the chain is always clean is awesome.

I just run my mechanical chain cleaner without any cleaner in it on the chain when the bike/chain is dry, just to remove the dust/dirt, and reapply Squirt if needed. The next day it's all dry and ready to ride for many rides. I can go 6-8 wet rides without reapplying.

Now I'll see if the crockpot+paraffin method is even better. The only thing I didn't like about that is cleaning the new chain with brake cleaner of other harsh stuff (I wear a 3M chemical gases respirator while doing it, outside), but I've bought the Silca natural enzyme cleaner to try. Since it's time consuming, I just do 3-4 chains at once and I'm good for a little while afterwards.

So I'd say the chain waxing trend is something that's right in the industry. You can do it for cheap with a 4$ parrafin block, cheap cleaners, or go all fancy, but it's just much less maintenance between rides.
Wait. Hold the phone. You bought a crock pot to lube your chain?

Legend. And you suck. :D

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I use the Rock'nRolla or Triflow. TBH.

The only thing with the dry lube is that it can wash off in creek/river crossings. So the boys bring a tiny bottle of it on major epics.

And always lube your pedals when you lube your chain. In case you didn't know. Clipless. Duh. :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I use the Rock'nRolla or Triflow. TBH.

The only thing with the dry lube is that it can wash off in creek/river crossings. So the boys bring a tiny bottle of it on major epics.

And always lube your pedals when you lube your chain. In case you didn't know. Clipless. Duh. :D
If you are bringing a tiny bottle of dry lube on a wet ride that washes away your lube you are a dumbass. I mean, its slightly better than mud, but you should have used wet and especially for a mid-ride lube in wet/mud.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
If you are bringing a tiny bottle of dry lube on a wet ride that washes away your lube you are a dumbass. I mean, its slightly better than mud, but you should have used wet and especially for a mid-ride lube in wet/mud.
Well, you would think. But this the Rocky Mountains. You never know what you're gonna get. So just bring some lube with you. Especially if you're already wearing a back pack. And your lube strategy is "dry". We out here!

Dude. You just made me say "lube strategy" LMAO.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not at all HH. You're simply adding another input to What's right with the industry: DUMBASS punters (who can't figure out simple chain maintenance) kerching!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I bought some Squirt because it has a funny name and is reportedly the best you can buy outside of hot wax. Now I just use it for everything out of laziness. I guarantee it's way better than previous methodology, which was nothing.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
First rule of mtb. Never go full butcher. Err....Specialized. Dude. Seriously.

Don't come to me with complaints. Only solutions :D

When you coming up here to ride? Or when am I going down there to ride? Hmmm.

We should do Steamboat some day. Flying Diamond. Best jump trail in all the land. You'd dig it. Angel Fire is close. But no. Too far.
Ha, cuz they're cheap! And even with the knobs tearing, they're still going.

I should be getting in MM or Sluice laps, but I've been trying to get my $ worth at Trestle (and trying to maximize time riding w/ my kids), so not very much uphill lately.

New trail opening in Idaho Spgs this fall, too.

We do get a day ticket at Steamboat (or Snowmass) with the Ikon pass...

I don't have issues with wet weather (Rock n Roll blue, Boeshield, Squirt), but still haven't found a lube that deals well with fine dusty conditions (ie: Eagle, CO).

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Silca: How can we sell a compact kitchen fryer and a coat hanger for 5x what the local supermarkets do?
Red. Make bits of it red.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
New trail opening in Idaho Spgs this fall, too.
Do tell? You can DM me.

I still haven't found a lube that deals well with fine dusty conditions (ie: Eagle, CO).
That place is a nightmare for every bike component. I just use drip wax lube, wash the bike after every ride, and change my fork oil way more than I'd like to. The experts would say hot wax is the ticket for those conditions. It's taken over in the world where people ride 100+mi on dusty dirt roads.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
It's taken over in the world where people ride 100+mi on dusty dirt roads.
Yeah. This is why we don't do that HA.

Still afraid of being trampled by a meat/cow/steer/horse carrying truck. Just cuz they don't like one of us on their roads.

I'll stick to the singletrack. Where the only whackos on the trails carry hatchets. And I can still get like 3 feet of air.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Reading this conversation about lube is making me realize that I've been blaming the wrong people for what's wrong with the industry. This whole time I've been blaming the industry. But I'm realizing now, that it's not the industry that's to blame, it's you guys.

Except Jm who seems to have his head on straight on this one particular subject.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Reading this conversation about lube is making me realize that I've been blaming the wrong people for what's wrong with the industry. This whole time I've been blaming the industry. But I'm realizing now, that it's not the industry that's to blame, it's you guys.

Except Jm who seems to have his head on straight on this one particular subject.
You just complemented @Jm_ . Are you sure about that? HA

See you in Anchorage in about a week. It'll be thurs/fri 8 or 9th. Depending on golf. Silly golf.