Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I'm supposed to go to upstate NY next year, so I began scouting Craigslist to see if I could make the trip back home with some sweet bike in my baggage. The amount of stuff I'd like to bring back to Argentina is mind blowing. Trek 9000s for 200 bucks, Cannondale Ravens for 375, even a Toma DH for 500!!! All of them in riding condition!!!

I don't need anything like that, but boy how I'd love to hang some of those sweet old bikes on the walls of my man cave...
Where ya goin’ in the upstates?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
A bit near Buffalo, then up to Ridgefield, CN.
Is this a work trip? :D I don't know anyone who goes to those places on purpose. HA

No but really. I think you should pick up some stuff while here. Just bring an empty suitcase with you (or bike bag).

Extra bags at airlines will be cheaper than sending via mail. In my experience.

Then get something cool while there, bring it home. Ride it once, clap it out. Hang on wall. Profit. Beautiful. :)

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Someone in my neighborhood left an old bike out for the garbage men to collect, I had a quick chat with them as I was poking about at it and I’m now the the new (but only second ever) owner of a 1984 Cannondale SM 500, and my first ever mullet bike.

24” of fun in the rear, 26” up front, bullmoose bars, thumb shifters, solid alu frame with lugged crown fork and the least effective brakes I’ve ever ridden. It’s so much fun it’s indecent.

If you get to ride one of these old bikes in good condition there’s no way you’re not smiling.

I’ll sell or donate it on at some point, as it’s not as good a mountain bike as my chameleon, and not as good as a commuter as my Kona, but as a pub bike it’s unbeatable - maybe it’ll stay around for a while
I built this up for my Mom 20 years ago out of my old XC race parts. I took it for a ride last week and it made a basic trail thrilling. South Eastern CT doesn't need better trails, just worse bikes!
(That's an original Crossmax rear wheel and Ti-dye spoke front wheel.)
20240710_103127.jpg

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Dude's definitely doing some things right.
If that's what was quoted per frame $2k is ridiculous for paint
... one word Neko. "stickers"

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Dude's definitely doing some things right.
If that's what was quoted per frame $2k is ridiculous for paint
... one word Neko. "stickers"
if it’s for a custom paint, where the painter is supplying artwork, and it’s being carried out in the US (seems a decent bet) then that’s easily a week or two of work per frame. Seems like a fair price.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. But realistically. All they need is a Blue, white and red one for Asa and a yellow and red one for Angel. The MOAR ghetto the better for frameworks IMO. Especially when it wins

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Yeah. But realistically. All they need is a Blue, white and red one for Asa and a yellow and red one for Angel. The MOAR ghetto the better for frameworks IMO. Especially when it wins
I’m sure if the people at Spray Bike heard about the opportunity they’d be happy to supply the paint so the team could attempt their own custom paint jobs.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
20240910_174147.jpg

What's right is current trends combined with good bikes having been made for 8 years, results in a bike like this costing $1000.
+top end carbon frame, up to date geo
+2nd tier suspension
+current gen Saint brakes, Zee drivetrain
+fresh, good tires
+quality tubeless wheels, and finishing kit
+like new condition
+not 26", so tire availability looks good in the future

-Twin 27.5" is not what buyers want
-It's called a large but fits like a current medium, so "too short" if someone is going by the geo chart. Perfect for my friend who wants a 455ish reach.
-A kinda hidden bolt was loose in the linkage, so it felt clapped out if you picked it up.
-Seems like people would rather buy a "super enduro" than commit to a DH bike
-Those days were pre-insert and 180 rear rotors came on some DH bikes, so I had to buy a cheap rotor and a not cheap rear CushCore.

Anyone who complains that bikes are too expensive these days isn't fully working the used market. Better bikes are available for less money than ever before.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
View attachment 218152

What's right is current trends combined with good bikes having been made for 8 years, results in a bike like this costing $1000.
+top end carbon frame, up to date geo
+2nd tier suspension
+current gen Saint brakes, Zee drivetrain
+fresh, good tires
+quality tubeless wheels, and finishing kit
+like new condition
+not 26", so tire availability looks good in the future

-twin 27.5" is not what buyers want
-it's called a large but fits like a current medium, so "too short" if someone is going by the geo chart. Perfect for my friend who wants a 455ish reach.
-a kinda hidden bolt was loose in the linkage, so it felt clapped out if you picked it up.
-seems like people would rather buy a "super enduro" than commit to a DH bike

Anyone who complains that bikes are too expensive these days isn't fully working the used market. Better bikes are available for less money than ever before.
But you have to budget for a new paint job so it looks a bit less hideous.
I still believe the graphics person for Huffy also does Pivot.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The function and concept is the same as Bikeyoke. Not quite as smooth, but very close.
Yeah I had to search to see if it was just a rebadged BikeYoke.
I find it odd that so many companies make dropper posts, I guess they don't have to do castings so it's less investment than doing suspension forks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah I had to search to see if it was just a rebadged BikeYoke.
I find it odd that so many companies make dropper posts, I guess they don't have to do castings so it's less investment than doing suspension forks.
Not a rebadged, but same general internal arrangement. Pretty amazing in cold wx, used it all winter. Well, summer too. They boast the cold wx performance tho and it lives up.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
I had no idea Wolf Tooth made droppers, ten minute service and self bleeding sounds pretty good.
They are a fan of the right to repair.
The Waveform pedals look okay too.
Yeah, but the simple act of cleaning & greasing under the wiper requires disassembling the post. I had to do it for a friend during Breck Epic. Every other post I can think of except the original Transfer can unscrew & slide the wiper assembly up by hand. Aside from that I like their post and own one, but most of my bikes have OneUps, and I like their V3* even better** than the Wolftooth.

*I'll change my tune if the cartridge dies because the V3 takes the opposite approach from Wolftooth. The cartridge isn't rebuildable and air pressure can't even be changed, in the name of a lighter and better sealed cartridge.

**I like it better because of the easier to service wiper assembly and much lower cost. The V3 & Wolftooth are equals and class leading on weight, lack of head slop, and action.

Last edited: