Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The Forecaster provides lots of grip when weighted and run on soil like grounds, which is what it is here on most trails.
Is that the latest Forecaster? I didn't liked the old one, the grip was kind of insecure probably because of the tall and slim knobs loosing traction when pushed... the new one seems beefier but I haven't tried it

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Is that the latest Forecaster? I didn't liked the old one, the grip was kind of insecure probably because of the tall and slim knobs loosing traction when pushed... the new one seems beefier but I haven't tried it
New one. I think it's a decent tire for the purpose, like Lelandjt said.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I have never run a Dissector as a front, it just ‘looks’ like a rear to me. However, I have a few 29”s sitting around since I went to mullet, what are y’all’s impressions as a front?
I imagine not as grippy as an Assegai or DHF, but probably not as draggy?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Exactly. Enough grip to feel sufficient on anything you'd call a Trail bike. Depending on your soil it might be enough for an All-Mountain bike if fast rolling is a priority. I wouldn't do it on an Enduro or DH bike.
Unfortunately they don’t seem to be enough more fast rolling than the dhr to be noticeable, they’re not particularly light, and leave a lot to be desired for braking traction.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have never run a Dissector as a front, it just ‘looks’ like a rear to me. However, I have a few 29”s sitting around since I went to mullet, what are y’all’s impressions as a front?
If you decide you don't want them I would consider taking them off your hands.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Dissector up front is passable on a light trail bike but I wouldn't recommend them for anything serious. Waaaaay too sketchy. Buddy here tried running dual Dissectors and gave up pretty quick.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
It's funny how the Dissector and Assegai were both supposedly designed "by" WC racers as their signature tire for use on both ends and I believe both those riders used the tires on both ends, but everyone else sees the Assegai as a front tire, and the Dissector either as a rear or a non-race tire. Can any race fan tell use Brosnan's highest WC finish running dual Dissectors?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's funny how the Dissector and Assegai were both supposedly designed "by" WC racers as their signature tire for use on both ends and I believe both those riders used the tires on both ends, but everyone else sees the Assegai as a front tire, and the Dissector either as a rear or a non-race tire. Can any race fan tell use Brosnan's highest WC finish running dual Dissectors?
Is it the Alps? Or is Colorado higher?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
To be fair there's some tracks a dual option for both those tyres would work great - most of us aren't Brosnan tho, nor are we riding WC tracks with wide fast turns

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I recently went back to the old fashioned minion DHF's F/R and my god they're fun. DHR II's and Assagais were good solid tires, but there's nothing quite like the feel of cornering on a minion and feeling the tires do that slightly sloppy give while they're sitting in that middle tread (lack of?) area before the sideknobs catch like you're riding a roller coaster and rip the bike around like you're invincible.

They feel pretty punishing for sloppy braking technique though, the feeling of being locked in disappears real fast if you grab your brakes while leaned over, which probably explains the popularity of some of the tires like the assagai that give some more leeway.

I'm not sure what's the fastest, but I sure as hell know what I"m having the most fun with. 10/10 would recommend going back if you haven't or weren't considering it.

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I recently went back to the old fashioned minion DHF's F/R and my god they're fun. DHR's and Assagais were good solid tires, but there's nothing quite like the feel of cornering on a minion and feeling the tires do that slightly sloppy give while they're sitting in that middle tread (lack of?) area before the sideknobs catch like you're riding a roller coaster and rip the bike around like you're invincible.

They feel pretty punishing for sloppy braking technique though, the feeling of being locked in disappears real fast if you grab your brakes while leaned over, which probably explains the popularity of some of the tires like the assagai that give some more leeway.

I'm not sure what's the fastest, but I sure as hell know what I"m having the most fun with. 10/10 would recommend going back if you haven't or weren't considering it.
Do you mean an OG DHR or the DHR2? I can't believe you even found the OG one anywhere - if so that things were hot garbage.

If you mean the DHR2 and an OG DHF, I wouldn't be half surprised if you were understeering - the new DHR gives the DHF a run for its money on the side knobs hey.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Sorry that wasn't clear. I never ran a DHRI because why bother when the DHF and Highroller existed? I'd genuinely forgotten it existed.

Was comparing to the DHRII. Minion DHF>Minion DHR II for grip strength in hard corners once it locks in you can pretty do whatever you want. DHRII definitely brakes better though, both in corners and just faster/shorter stopping distance.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Sorry that wasn't clear. I never ran a DHRI because why bother when the DHF and Highroller existed? I'd genuinely forgotten it existed.

Was comparing to the DHRII. Minion DHF>Minion DHR II for grip strength in hard corners once it locks in you can pretty do whatever you want. DHRII definitely brakes better though, both in corners and just faster/shorter stopping distance.
Lol the DHR 1 was some kind of practical joke I swear. Maxxis had a couple of dubious tyres releases back in the day.

Did anyone ever run a Mobster?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That was my first DH tire! I'd only ever ridden shitty XC tires and XC bikes, and my first (used) DH bike came with an absolutely fuckhammered mobster, and I was blown away by how good it was compared to my XC tires!

I later learned it was not the pinnacle of bike tires, and things could get even better.

I have fond memories of it, but not fond enough to miss riding one even a little bit.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I swear the Mobster was like one step past when tyre design was about cool looking tread patterns (Hutchinson Coyote, Onza Porcupine). I think Marzocchi even did a tyre once that was just Marzocchi Ms as a centre knob with no regard to actual bite, braking or turning.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

I'm with you on this. The DHF has shaped my taste for tires for life, and I can't stand the feel of those tires with transitional knobs. Schwalbes also have those wrongly oriented side knobs, and between that and the knob vomit patterns I tend to avoid them.

Back then I was even cutting transitional knobs off some other tires, such as Ardents or some IRC I can't even remember what name had.