Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
As far as gearing goes after riding with 2x and noticing my suspension feels better in the 34t ring than it does in the 22, considerably better, I'm tempted to run a 34T ring 1X with a 9-46 and just suffer more on the climbs. Anyone else notice different suspension feel with different ring sizes?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
As far as gearing goes after riding with 2x and noticing my suspension feels better in the 34t ring than it does in the 22, considerably better, I'm tempted to run a 34T ring 1X with a 9-46 and just suffer more on the climbs. Anyone else notice different suspension feel with different ring sizes?
My Rallón clearly states in its manual you can't go bigger than a 32t without affecting the suspension performance in an adverse way. I ran a 30t for a week (the one my cranks had before I could get a direct mount 32t) and it had a tendency to extend the suspension when powering down on the pedals. The 32t lines up the chain line and the main pivot, so in theory the suspension's performance should be optimal.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The smaller the ring, the moar antisquat and moar pedal kickback. Frames are therefore optimized around chainring nowadays, 28-32T for 29ers and 30-34T for 27.5.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Unlike the XTR cranks Shimano teased and then had production issues with, the new XT M8100 and SLX M7100 they just released maintain the pinch bolt design. It also looks like boost 165 will be an option (that was missing from the last version).

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Frames are therefore optimized around chainring nowadays, 28-32T for 29ers and 30-34T for 27.5.
This is what's wrong with The Industry™ -

I know everyone is different when it comes to how we ride/pedal. But I run a 34t oval with a 42t granny and can't imagine how much it would SUCK to run a 28t ring. Yet, someone I rode with had an 11t cog mounted on his crank and a 48t Wolftooffff granny on the back. Wtf... So maybe it wasn't an 11t, but he said it was the smallest they made. Whatever that is?

My point is that since we're running pie plates as cogs, we need the option to be able to run a bigger ring if we want.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The MT900 "XTR level" cranks they came out with when the factory burned down have the pinch bolts, only weigh 76 grams more than the fancy real XTR ones, and 60 grams less than the new XT, plus they're already available. Zee Germans have them for $160, seems to be the best bet for cranks on the market right now, if you happen to be in the market.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
those look rad! I really do not need to buy some though. :(

The MT900 "XTR level" cranks they came out with when the factory burned down have the pinch bolts, only weigh 76 grams more than the fancy real XTR ones, and 60 grams less than the new XT, plus they're already available. Zee Germans have them for $160, seems to be the best bet for cranks on the market right now, if you happen to be in the market.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
water bottle bosses are still about the same distance apart on every single frame ever. I can move a bottle cage from my commuter, onto a 1970 puch, and onto my ENDURO bike without buying 17 of them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
water bottle bosses are still about the same distance apart on every single frame ever. I can move a bottle cage from my commuter, onto a 1970 puch, and onto my ENDURO bike without buying 17 of them.
The Lizards say:

upload_2019-6-4_11-32-18.jpeg

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
those look rad! I really do not need to buy some though. :(
The Germans allegedly shipped mine today, I'll let you know how rad they are when they show up. New bike comes with teh carbonz, figure I can sell those, install these, gain nearly no weight (587 grams vs 555) and get some cash and more durable cranks out of the whole deal. Plus I haven't had Shimano cranks since like 2015, I miss the pinch-bolt life.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I have a couple pairs of last gen. XTR cranks, almost never used them.

Currently they are on a bench next to a couple pair of eewings.

I was going to buy the MT900 but, I don't use what I already have.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I have a couple pairs of last gen. XTR cranks, almost never used them.

Currently they are on a bench next to a couple pair of eewings.

I was going to buy the MT900 but, I don't use what I already have.
Couple unused pairs of XTR cranks next to a couple pairs of EEwings? Where’s your dental practice and how much do you charge for a cleaning?

Really wanted EEs, but my inner financial planner said I should probably wait, they are pure sex though

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Couple unused pairs of XTR cranks next to a couple pairs of EEwings? Where’s your dental practice and how much do you charge for a cleaning?

Really wanted EEs, but my inner financial planner said I should probably wait, they are pure sex though
I used the XTR, eewings I haven't had a frame for them.

I also have a Abbey tools Ti. hag and I usually ride single speed.

Attachments

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

the eewings are super awesome cranks. i've got 3 rides on them now, really like them. super super stiff. light. easy to adjust preload to get them to spin super free.

Did you buy the eewings during the 500$ surprise sale?
i did.

hey @4xBoy what models XTR do you have that you might want to part with?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
the eewings are super awesome cranks. i've got 3 rides on them now, really like them. super super stiff. light. easy to adjust preload to get them to spin super free.

i did.

hey @4xBoy what models XTR do you have that you might want to part with?
M9020 175mm M90000 170mm

Going to use one on my Marino frame and the other one is going on the kids bike.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
marino is amazing value. $350 for a full custom ht (or $550 for a single pivot dually) is just crazy. craftsmanship is a bit on the agricultural side, but they appear to be solidly built. very tempting.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
marino is amazing value. $350 for a full custom ht (or $550 for a single pivot dually) is just crazy. craftsmanship is a bit on the agricultural side, but they appear to be solidly built. very tempting.
Good chance I will sell it by the end of the month.

Liability insurance for the dentist office is due.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Propain bikes chucking in some money for Wyn Masters' awesome Top Privateer award. Awesome initiative.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
This is what's wrong with The Industry™ -

I know everyone is different when it comes to how we ride/pedal. But I run a 34t oval with a 42t granny and can't imagine how much it would SUCK to run a 28t ring. Yet, someone I rode with had an 11t cog mounted on his crank and a 48t Wolftooffff granny on the back. Wtf... So maybe it wasn't an 11t, but he said it was the smallest they made. Whatever that is?

My point is that since we're running pie plates as cogs, we need the option to be able to run a bigger ring if we want.
Or just run a 10t rear or 9t if you wanna go with e13 whizzbangery