Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The Ripmo AL weighs 1.5lbs more than the carbon frame. I wonder what the weight difference is on the Capras. I'm in the process of swapping out my carbon Capra frame with coil shock because it's too heavy so I'm not the target demographic but I'm still curious.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Until novatec and other OEM second tier hub manufacturers get on board, they won’t crack the ‘on every bike’ oem puzzle.
The Ibis Ripmo AF has an SLX build kit with Ibis branded hubs. I don't know who makes those, but it's surely Novatec or similar.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
This wouldn't happen to be our very own boy @buckoW helping Paul set up his bike, would it? If so then this video is what's right with the industry!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Kinda cool that the new Ibis Ripmo AF comes specced with the same shock and fork across all spec levels. Some of the budget suspension components that end up on other companies entry level builds are horrible.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Kinda cool that the new Ibis Ripmo AF comes specced with the same shock and fork across all spec levels. Some of the budget suspension components that end up on other companies entry level builds are horrible.
They're 'upgradable'. It's a feature!

Kind of like the few dumbfuck tire companies that said they made tires ready for cutting. Because just making a good one is too hard!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Kind of like the few dumbfuck tire companies that said they made tires ready for cutting. Because just making a good one is too hard!
Wait who the fuck said that? Because that demands shaming and ridicule.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
How do we feel about enduro bikes being specced with the non-reservoir versions of shocks just so a water bottle will fit?

Just to be on topic, I don't think I could bear riding an Ibis product.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I’ll deal with a lot of budget crap, but for the love of god put decent suspension on it that works well at all speeds, no fox evo/motion control/monarch+ type crap.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
How do we feel about enduro bikes being specced with the non-reservoir versions of shocks just so a water bottle will fit?
The lack of a shock reservoir was what kept me from getting a Ransom last year. Somehow I haven't heard anyone complain about the shock on long descents. In fact, all I hear about its suspension is "they really nailed the shock tune". I've got one on order now and will report back if it fades on my 20+ minute descents. My current DHX2 on a Capra feels perfect so it's got big shoes to fill.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

Just to be on topic, I don't think I could bear riding an Ibis product.
we say fuck that shit, buy a nomad, and have the best of both worlds and one bike to rule them all.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wait who the fuck said that? Because that demands shaming and ridicule.
I don't remember specifically. It was when there a bunch of things popping up online about how to make tires work better with some cuts (about the time I was writing a lot of the same thing).

WTB? Continental? Michelin? I don't remember exactly.

Two of the companies I pretty much just ignore because of things like that. If I remembered all the things tire companies did where I just rolled my eyes and then forgot about it, I'd have no space left in my brain.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Any "enderpo" bike or AM bike needs to be able to take a coil and should come with a goddamn F-ing coil.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't remember specifically. It was when there a bunch of things popping up online about how to make tires work better with some cuts (about the time I was writing a lot of the same thing).

Two of the companies I pretty much just ignore because of things like that. If I remembered all the things tire companies did where I just rolled my eyes and then forgot about it, I'd have no space left in my brain.
I mean, yeah, there are a billion tires out there that would be improved by, say, cutting the transition knobs off. But designing tires to be a choose your own adventure is some bullshit.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Kenda:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Figures.

I think I forgot about them after suffering a concussion as a direct result of trying Nevegals circa 2001 or so.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To be fair, you don’t really need to cut the Kendas. The knobs will come off in just a few rides anyway.

Last edited: