Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The only big problem with the knobs coming off was they’d take the casing with them. So you had to carry around a large supply of $1 bills to boot the tire and ride back. Before tubeless...but you’d need sealant the consistency of cement to plug a hole that big.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Figures.

I think I forgot about them after suffering a concussion as a direct result of trying Nevegals circa 2001 or so.
I tried Panaracer Rampage tires once in February 2011 after Dirt had them in their Dirt 100 of that year and praised them for their typical UK riding conditions abilities.

Ulnar luxation at my elbow with 11 weeks out of order followed on the first ride and the first off camber corner... Damn, that shit hurt. Was the most painful injury sustained so far.

Since them I never ever bought a product after any media marketing shit ad article blah any more.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Kenda blue groove and nevegal were certainly bad... but none of us would have heard of them or ridden them without the unceasing hype for them on MTBR. I almost feel like there was a secret marketing campaign for Kendas via paid-for forum posts or something.

That Michelin relaunch in 2010 or so when they first moved production to SE Asia and only produced hard compound versions of DH tires was pretty fricking disgraceful in my view.

This is what's right with The Industry®: Hating on bad tires.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Kenda blue groove and nevegal were certainly bad... but none of us would have heard of them or ridden them without the unceasing hype for them on MTBR.
That or the $5/tire closeout deals for new warped casing tires.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Nevegals were a funny one. I got given a few by the importer here and told to try them, and they stayed unridden in my garage for awhile due to the negative feedback I'd heard about them for so long. In the end, I chucked one on for a giggle one day and was actually super impressed with it. Coming from SRY or ST Minions, it worked really well in the wet and even in the dry it didn't leave much to be desired. Apparently it was some Tomac Edition Stick-E version or whatever. When I went to replace it, the distributor had changed and I got a different version. Utterly useless. Polar opposite of the tyre it replaced. Couldn't get it right and I went back to minions.

As far as bad tyres go, I've been riding and racing for so long I remember some really shocking crap that was around in the 90s. Farmer Joes, Tioga Psychos, Velociraptors, Missiles, Kujos, Porcupines, On The Rocks 2. The IRC stuff was good at keeping air in, in comparison to the rest but the rubber compound must have been like 200 durometer. I never tried the Michelins (really hard to get over here) but my mates that did reckon they gripped well but punctured super easy.

Hutchinson had one tyre with a dog's head centre block. I think it was called a Werewolf or Wolverine or something. (edit - Coyote?) Proper scary under brakes. Stuff these days might be bad, but its rarely as bad as the old shit ever was.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
@toodles - oh yeah 100%. There's a ton of stuff out there that's inexcusably dumb for this day and age, but the baseline bar is enormously higher than it was 20 years ago.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
When I bought my DH wheels from @Sandwich , I am pretty sure he gave me a Nevegal with them, too. :think:
is that the one i destroyed on your wife's bike? :D
Nevegals were a funny one. I got given a few by the importer here and told to try them, and they stayed unridden in my garage for awhile due to the negative feedback I'd heard about them for so long. In the end, I chucked one on for a giggle one day and was actually super impressed with it. Coming from SRY or ST Minions, it worked really well in the wet and even in the dry it didn't leave much to be desired. Apparently it was some Tomac Edition Stick-E version or whatever. When I went to replace it, the distributor had changed and I got a different version. Utterly useless. Polar opposite of the tyre it replaced. Couldn't get it right and I went back to minions.

As far as bad tyres go, I've been riding and racing for so long I remember some really shocking crap that was around in the 90s. Farmer Joes, Tioga Psychos, Velociraptors, Missiles, Kujos, Porcupines, On The Rocks 2. The IRC stuff was good at keeping air in, in comparison to the rest but the rubber compound must have been like 200 durometer. I never tried the Michelins (really hard to get over here) but my mates that did reckon they gripped well but punctured super easy.

Hutchinson had one tyre with a dog's head centre block. I think it was called a Werewolf or Wolverine or something. (edit - Coyote?) Proper scary under brakes. Stuff these days might be bad, but its rarely as bad as the old shit ever was.
velociraptors bad...the wolf was a wolf's paw shapes tread on wtb weirwolfs. they were awful.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I did.

they're better

Look at the design not the logo chris. It's better than an ass guy in tread design.

That's right. I said it.
Some center knobs. Side knobs with some meat on them. No bullshit in between. Checks out.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not a fan of the Assgay and the Magic Mary, Woo? What tire DO you like?
I don't use tires any more. Aluminum rims grip rock much better.

You don't like my german leather joke? There was scat stuff that came up on google I spared you from.

Tires with channels and sideknobs that don't fold when drifting. And some braking edges. That's really about it. There are lots of them, and they all kind of work off the same principles.

Bontrager G4
Maxxis minion dhf/dhr2
Butcher before the sideknobs get undercut
Michelin wildrocker 2 (but needs a dh casing)
Plenty more out there

If it ain't broke........

If they would just make a 2.5 dh casing wildrocker 2 and get rid of the dumb ribs that hold mud, that would seriously be the best tire ever made. Those bigass blocky sideknobs are the best in bidness.

The assguy works pretty well where I rode some but it's not the tread design. They used a different rubber with those. You've ridden one by now I assume? That rubber compound is like chewing gum. It would work with a bunch of hello kitty faces for knobs.

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
If they would just make a 2.5 dh casing wildrocker 2 and get rid of the dumb ribs that hold mud, that would seriously be the best tire ever made. Those bigass blocky sideknobs are the best in bidness.
Word directly from Michelin as MSA is that they are discontinuing the WildRockr'2....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Word directly from Michelin as MSA is that they are discontinuing the WildRockr'2....
Gotta make room for this kind of awesomeness

"Patented cuttable blocks technology for added comfort"

@Sandwich, @HAB : Found another one!!! :D

And people get all offended when I say tire companies consist of morons.

See? We do have data to back this up y'all.

Last edited: