Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
In the BC Bike Race you start in waves based on your previous days result. Punter had a mechanical the day before and trashed his hanger if I remember correctly. So in the day where he was a dick he started in a wave behind where he had been riding earlier in the race. Might have also been his hometown Squamish trails where he was passing like an annoying jerk. Someone that actually watches his youtube could confirm, this is from memory when the video surfaced and reading some comments.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
In the BC Bike Race you start in waves based on your previous days result. Punter had a mechanical the day before and trashed his hanger if I remember correctly. So in the day where he was a dick he started in a wave behind where he had been riding earlier in the race. Might have also been his hometown Squamish trails where he was passing like an annoying jerk. Someone that actually watches his youtube could confirm, this is from memory when the video surfaced and reading some comments.
Not gonna grace his view count with a hit.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Danny Hart is now a youtuber. That settles the "who is the fastest youtuber" debate.
Nowhere near the same level as Hart, but Nate Hills (FollowCam Friday) is friggen legit as well. Most of his vids aren't race pace, but he rides some pretty hectic shit and when he does race stuff he does well. Remy Metailler is obviously bonkers as well. Just a pity the cameras always make stuff look so easy.

There's a few good YouTube guys out there. I watched a bunch of different ones a few years ago when I was doing wind trainer shit to get ready for trying to survive racing in Canada and NZ, but I couldn't handle some of the "personalities".

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nowhere near the same level as Hart, but Nate Hills (FollowCam Friday) is friggen legit as well. Most of his vids aren't race pace, but he rides some pretty hectic shit and when he does race stuff he does well. Remy Metailler is obviously bonkers as well. Just a pity the cameras always make stuff look so easy.

There's a few good YouTube guys out there. I watched a bunch of different ones a few years ago when I was doing wind trainer shit to get ready for trying to survive racing in Canada and NZ, but I couldn't handle some of the "personalities".
As good as Danny is, Nate Hills and Remy's footage and sound quality are on another level.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

Fastest non WC youtubers would probably be Nate, Jeff Kendall-Weed, Remy, Phil Kmetz, Cathro, Trail Peek. To be honest, I also watch the other personalities even though they're not my cup of tea because there are interesting locations and projects that get featured.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Fastest non WC youtubers would probably be Nate, Jeff Kendall-Weed, Remy, Phil Kmetz, Cathro, Trail Peek. To be honest, I also watch the other personalities even though they're not my cup of tea because there are interesting locations and projects that get featured.
In a lot of ways the more "real" trail speed guys are better to watch. Troy Brosnan and Danny Hart are pinned but it all looks like a Formula One dash cam to me at that speed. The mid-pack Youtubers I can sort of fathom what is going on.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i like the trail peek dude's vids, and the followcam guy's too. phil's a legit rider, and i liked to watch his vids a few years back when he was living down here and riding some of our local backwoods stuff. but his voice...shhhhhhh....

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Cathro is pretty fucking fast though, even if he's not WC level. And his content is absolutely top notch, even beyond the WC stuff.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Cathro is pretty fucking fast though, even if he's not WC level. And his content is absolutely top notch, even beyond the WC stuff.
I'd legit pay for a coaching session from that dude if I was in the UK. His eye for stuff riders are doing is incredible.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'd legit pay for a coaching session from that dude if I was in the UK. His eye for stuff riders are doing is incredible.
On his last CathroVision post on patreon he revealed that he is going to try to qualify at WCs next year - so he is returning to full on racing.:rockout:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
When did Ben retire from WC racing?
Apart from a few Ft Bill rounds (it's fairly local) about 2012. Ben set up sick-Skills coaching on a shoestring after that season and also still did SDAs/Nationals promoting the business and started the sickskills race team bringing on youngsters.. He also does tons of promotion of the Scottish race scene (Derp and DH).

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
On his last CathroVision post on patreon he revealed that he is going to try to qualify at WCs next year - so he is returning to full on racing.:rockout:
Not just Fort William? Would be good to see him racing again. With Flo Payet as team mate. Skyscraper/Giraffe Racing Team!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so i just learned of a tire insert called rimpact. similar to cushcore but half the price (but not the same amount of damping as cushcore). anyone have experience?

ptd

Chimp
Oct 16, 2011
Yeah using rimpact front 2.5 DHF, rear 2.4 DHRII on 160mm bike.
Haven't used CushCore.

Feels damped and sidewall support, insert slices easy enough, might need replacing after 6 months with lots of riding. Still manage to write off rims hitting stuff badly, perhaps not working quite to expectations even considering it's obviously not expected to work as good as CushCore, but it certainly has reduced dents over 6 months use so that's a win.

so i just learned of a tire insert called rimpact. similar to cushcore but half the price (but not the same amount of damping as cushcore). anyone have experience?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah using rimpact front 2.5 DHF, rear 2.4 DHRII on 160mm bike.
Haven't used CushCore.

Feels damped and sidewall support, insert slices easy enough, might need replacing after 6 months with lots of riding. Still manage to write off rims hitting stuff badly, perhaps not working quite to expectations even considering it's obviously not expected to work as good as CushCore, but it certainly has reduced dents over 6 months use so that's a win.

good to know. yea, definitely doesn't seem like its intended to be as burly as cushcore, maybe like a lite version. what casing are the tires you're using with it?

ptd

Chimp
Oct 16, 2011
good to know. yea, definitely doesn't seem like its intended to be as burly as cushcore, maybe like a lite version. what casing are the tires you're using with it?
Double Downs.
25-26psi rear, 22-23psi front. Gives good damping at those pressures, any lower rims are toast, higher less dents less damping (duh).
EX511 rims. Probably go to EX471 (never tried them), EX511 seem to dent so easy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Double Downs.
25-26psi rear, 22-23psi front. Gives good damping at those pressures, any lower rims are toast, higher less dents less damping (duh).
EX511 rims. Probably go to EX471 (never tried them), EX511 seem to dent so easy.
cool, thanks for the info. just curious, how much do you weigh? i find that's often something that gets left out when talking about tire pressure.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Im using a 2.5 double down rear at 26-27. It's money. I'm 190lbs plus clothes/gear.
I think I'd run a DH casing before an insert, considering ther weights.

ptd

Chimp
Oct 16, 2011
cool, thanks for the info. just curious, how much do you weigh? i find that's often something that gets left out when talking about tire pressure.
Something like 80kg 176lbs.

The damping on inserts wins so far for me.
Tearing casings or pinching right above rim bead is the most common failure for me now (on DD), so continually tempted to just use DH casings.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
...I think I'd run a DH casing before an insert, considering ther weights.
FWIW, that's what I ended up doing. Used to run a EXO-equivalent 1-ply tire with a Cushcore at 26~27 psi, and I still managed to pinch flat. I weigh 175 lbs but I'm ham-fisted and we have lots of pointy rocks.

Honestly, I'll most likely be OK with DD casing, but the side knobs on Maxxis 3C/DC tires get undercut and become useless in less than 2 months around here, and I cannot afford to buy tires at that rate. 27.5" DHF and DHR2 are available with single 60~62A in DH casing, so that's what I got.

Then I started dinging rims at the said pressure even with a DH tire, so I've been running 28~29 psi. I'm happy with this setup.

If flat & cuts aren't your main concern and you simply want rim protection and/or increased support, you may be better off with an insert. YMMV.

EDIT: Just adding some relevant info. Ran a 27.5x2.5 DH-casing single-compound DHF (1390 grams, verified) for a while, but recently switched to a 27.5x2.4 DH-casing single-compound DHR2 (1280 grams, verified). No discernable change in rolling speed and perceived effort pedaling, better braking bite, easier to drift the back end at the expense of decreased lateral stability on slow, loose off-camber sections. DT FR570 rim. All tire pressure according to the digital gauge on my Serfas pump, no idea how accurate it is, but it agrees with another digital gauge within 0.5 psi.

Last edited: