Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Something like 80kg 176lbs.

The damping on inserts wins so far for me.
Tearing casings or pinching right above rim bead is the most common failure for me now (on DD), so continually tempted to just use DH casings.
gotcha. i'm a bit heavier, probably 215 geared up, so i'm typically running pressures around 30psi.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FWIW, that's what I ended up doing. Used to run a EXO-equivalent 1-ply tire with a Cushcore at 26~27 psi, and I still managed to pinch flat. I weigh 175 lbs but I'm ham-fisted and we have lots of pointy rocks.

Honestly, I'll most likely be OK with DD casing, but the side knobs on Maxxis 3C/DC tires get undercut and become useless in less than 2 months around here, and I cannot afford to buy tires at that rate. 27.5" DHF and DHR2 are available with single 60~62A in DH casing, so that's what I got.

Then I started dinging rims at the said pressure even with a DH tire, so I've been running 28~29 psi. I'm happy with this setup.

If flat & cuts aren't your main concern and you simply want rim protection and increased support, you may be better off with an insert. YMMV.
i had been running a minion SS EXO in the rear. nice tire, but i'm just too heavy for an exo casing. i got a puncture in the tread of it (which did seal) but i always felt like they were low even when i knew the pressure was right. i'd been running the wild rock'r in the front, and had another one so i swapped out the minion SS from the rear. the biggest difference i notice is the casing.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Double Downs.
25-26psi rear, 22-23psi front. Gives good damping at those pressures, any lower rims are toast, higher less dents less damping (duh).
EX511 rims. Probably go to EX471 (never tried them), EX511 seem to dent so easy.
I've used 511s and 471s a bunch. They're very similar in construction, the width is the real difference. If you're going to 471s hoping for better dent resilience, I think you're going to be disappointed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
gotcha. i'm a bit heavier, probably 215 geared up, so i'm typically running pressures around 30psi.
I'm 240 at the moment, running 25 psi in the rear... but with a DH casing and Cushcore over a EX 511.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
had you run them previously without cushcore?
I was on EXO sidewalls before (because 27.5" + has no other options) and was ripping and tearing them. Destroyed a rim as well on a hard rock strike. Went straight from that setup to 29", DH casing + Cushcore.

ptd

Chimp
Oct 16, 2011
I've used 511s and 471s a bunch. They're very similar in construction, the width is the real difference. If you're going to 471s hoping for better dent resilience, I think you're going to be disappointed.
I agree, can't stop the want. What's up with that? Have it in my head 2.5mm wider each side is making the rim bed collapse more than it should. :crazy: Should just add air eh.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
i had been running a minion SS EXO in the rear. nice tire, but i'm just too heavy for an exo casing. i got a puncture in the tread of it (which did seal) but i always felt like they were low even when i knew the pressure was right. i'd been running the wild rock'r in the front, and had another one so i swapped out the minion SS from the rear. the biggest difference i notice is the casing.
My uncalibrated finger calipers think Rock'r 2's casing is a bit thicker than the EXO.

I agree, the casing makes noticeable differences in feel. I was amazed the first time I used a 2-ply tire - made the back end feel calm, with everything else being equal. But it sure felt draggy climbing during the first few rides, not so much because of weight but like extra damping dissipating a bit more of pedaling force. After cutting 5 single-ply tires prematurely in 3 months last year and walking a few miles off the trail a couple times, I decided it's a worth-while trade off for me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
an e-bike, because you're gonna need a motor to pedal such a heavy damn wheel uphill
This is not untrue. E-bikes let me run the tires and rims that I'd run for the downhill part of the ride without suffering with them otherwise.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
feckin' 'ell mate! that's not a wheel, that's a boat anchor!
I’ve been running dh casing and cushcore on a DT fr570 this year on 2 rear wheels with 25-30 psi. Both rims are pretty much done but it was nice getting only a few flats and no wheel truing. I normally run 471, 481 or 511 in the front without an insert.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I agree, can't stop the want. What's up with that? Have it in my head 2.5mm wider each side is making the rim bed collapse more than it should. :crazy: Should just add air eh.
On most of the dented rims I have seen, the dent is toward the inside of the rim. I wonder if this is due to the fact that the rim is weaker against purely vertical impacts in that direction or if this is due to the fact that the impact direction in reality is slightly angled (I.e. the bike is leaned/tilted on one side when the impact take place). It is probably a bit of both...
Anyhow, I find quite interesting that Newmen is making rims with angled side walls:
felgenprofil.jpg

Compare to straight walls from DT
jante-dt-swiss-ex511.jpg

Newmen claims that their rims are less prone to dent because of that. I have one on the front on my XC bike but that doesn't mean much....
Maybe somebody here has some experience with them?
This model should be DH worthy https://www.newmen-components.de/en/79/mtb/rims/evolution-sl-eg30/

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Rims are wider and the beady bit is shallower so rocks have a lot more of a chance of contacting the centre of the rim.

I ran hookless rims for a short while and I just found that they sliced tires open, newer ones seem to have beefed up the bead area and have more of a radius as above so they are probably fine.....

If you are worried about dinging the centre of the rim you might want a different rim construction.
1570189818924.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
On most of the dented rims I have seen, the dent is toward the inside of the rim. I wonder if this is due to the fact that the rim is weaker against purely vertical impacts in that direction or if this is due to the fact that the impact direction in reality is slightly angled (I.e. the bike is leaned/tilted on one side when the impact take place). It is probably a bit of both...
Anyhow, I find quite interesting that Newmen is making rims with angled side walls:
View attachment 137552
Compare to straight walls from DT
View attachment 137553

Newmen claims that their rims are less prone to dent because of that. I have one on the front on my XC bike but that doesn't mean much....
Maybe somebody here has some experience with them?
This model should be DH worthy https://www.newmen-components.de/en/79/mtb/rims/evolution-sl-eg30/
I suggested this maybe a year ago, the vertical rim walls are an obsolete heritage from road bikes. We have had tires balooning out of the rim profile since the beginning of our sport, and the scarce lateral support we got from narrow rims is today still a joke. The industry™ is still trying to sell us we don't need bead hooks, trying to unload all the burden on the tire beads, but I think if we could get moar bubbly/inclined rim walls with better hooking on the tire bead we would enjoy more rigid rims, better tire support and a lighter weight overall.

I can't seem to find my post about this, if I do I'll add it here.

Last edited:

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Been running Rimpact for a few months. I think it's comparable to Huck or the new lighter weight Cush Core - which I fondled a few days ago, and based on the eyeball and squish test, it seems about as adequate as Huck.

I've been happy with it. It does get chewed up, but handles it better than Huck. Better coverage and more damp than Huck, and doesn't slide around. I'm stubbornly sticking with EXO, and I'm running into the low 30s in the rear cause I'm sick of pinch flats. Ultimately, I think Rimpact with a DD casing is probably the ideal rear trail bike tire scenario for me as far as feel, weight, and protection.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Been running Rimpact for a few months. I think it's comparable to Huck or the new lighter weight Cush Core - which I fondled a few days ago, and based on the eyeball and squish test, it seems about as adequate as Huck.

I've been happy with it. It does get chewed up, but handles it better than Huck. Better coverage and more damp than Huck, and doesn't slide around. I'm stubbornly sticking with EXO, and I'm running into the low 30s in the rear cause I'm sick of pinch flats. Ultimately, I think Rimpact with a DD casing is probably the ideal rear trail bike tire scenario for me as far as feel, weight, and protection.
for the price i ordered a set. i'm probably just gonna install it in the rear. we'll see.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd argue that you need all that impact protection because your 50something pound bike bashes wheels into rocks harder than my 31lb bike.
This is true. But there's way more variation in rider weight than bike weight, fwiw.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The industry™ is still trying to sell us we don't need bead hooks, trying to unload all the burden on the tire beads
I don't know, we still need a tight fit between the tire and the rim to be able to ride tubeless and avoid burping. The hook is now moved inside the bead on some rims as I see it and as you can see on the newmen profile I posted above

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Surprised you need anything inside wild rockrs. Those were the most reliable tires I’ve ever run even for lift days. They eventually bled sealant thru the sidewall but never made me walk.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I think we are seeing more dented rims because rims have gotten wider. On a narrow rim the sidewall is under the center knobs and therefore protected. On wider rims the channel between the side knobs and the middle thread of the tire is usually exactly where the sidewall of the rim is, so not much rubber to protect it from denting.