Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This, good pedal at a tolerable price.
1570332292530.jpeg

Since getting the Horizons I went to the Boomslang and then to a T-Mac and now I'm back on the Horizons. They are a touch small with 5-10s but God damn they are a good pedal!
Concave on both planes, not a hint of an axle bump and they don't have a crazy taper on the inner, pedals like the Vault lose a lot of real estate when IMO you'd be better off reducing the taper on the inside of pedals like them.
The T-Macs were nice and large but having front to rear concave only made foot positioning a bit vague and then lack of parallelogram shape forced me to run my seat all the way back to get a pedaling position that I liked.

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
View attachment 137615

Since getting the Horizons I went to the Boomslang and then to a T-Mac and now I'm back on the Horizons. They are a touch small with 5-10s but God damn they are a good pedal!
Concave on both planes, not a hint of an axle bump and they don't have a crazy taper on the inner, pedals like the Vault lose a lot of real estate when IMO you'd be better off reducing the taper on the inside of pedals like them.
The T-Macs were nice and large but having front to rear concave only made foot positioning a bit vague and then lack of parallelogram shape forced me to run my seat all the way back to get a pedaling position that I liked.
Hill removes the two pins closest to the crank. And he uses longer pins as well. What size are your feet?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hill removes the two pins closest to the crank. And he uses longer pins as well. What size are your feet?
I only run the three at the front and rear, I've been tempted to tap some grub screws right near the outer and inner edges and remove the existing ones.
Foot is a 13US but I also ride a hardtail so my feet bounce around a bit, yes I know I should buy a grown up's bike.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland

seconding the recommendation moved to these myself from OG wah wahs and loving them. Nice stance and feeling with regular freeriders. I'm size 43 Eu and like to have the arch of my foot above the axle so a bit more forward, couldn't ask for a better pedal. did a whole uplift day in the wet first time out and got a big confidence boost

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Did a whole uplift day in the wet first time out and got a big confidence boost
Actually, weather sealing lets them down a bit but servicing is really easy. After snapping an axle on some Burgtecs I make sure the bushings in my pedals are in good shape, I was lucky that the body came off in an uphill bit of trail, hahaha!

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
seconding the recommendation moved to these myself from OG wah wahs and loving them. Nice stance and feeling with regular freeriders. I'm size 43 Eu and like to have the arch of my foot above the axle so a bit more forward, couldn't ask for a better pedal. did a whole uplift day in the wet first time out and got a big confidence boost
Still using the OG wah wah's. I like them a lot but would be keen to try a bigger pedal. My shoes are size 44 EU.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I only run the three at the front and rear, I've been tempted to tap some grub screws right near the outer and inner edges and remove the existing ones.
Foot is a 13US but I also ride a hardtail so my feet bounce around a bit, yes I know I should buy a grown up's bike.
I ride a hardtail too but the tracks I ride are not that rough and the jumps are manageable on the HT.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Got some new 5ten freeriders (OGs with the proper stitched sole). Adidas buying them may have done good for the quality from first impressions.
My old ones for comparison have a 2015 mfg date which is before they were bought out I think. The new ones have a stiffer sole and are not as wide so a tighter fit and the footbed is a different material and fully stitched instead of glued cardboard stuff, also a little less padding around it and some of the stitching looks a bit beefier in spots, especially around where the toe box flexes.
Not as good for footjams on a bmx as before but should be nicer on the big bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Y'all seen these?

A bunch of former 5.10 employees that got the adidas axe started the company. I know some of them and they're based right across the street from where I work. I've got a pair of livewires I really like. They're not quite as sticky as the circle soled 5.10s, which to me is a very good thing.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Y'all seen these?

A bunch of former 5.10 employees that got the adidas axe started the company. I know some of them and they're based right across the street from where I work. I've got a pair of livewires I really like. They're not quite as sticky as the circle soled 5.10s, which to me is a very good thing.
I did some googling after reading about RC and turns out there's another crowd called unparallel sports also run by an ex-5ten guy.
1570564279165.png

1570564386328.png

Doesn't look too bad either, but couldnt find much reviews going

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Y'all seen these?

Are they using old school 5.10 width? IE sasquatch foot friendly?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've got pretty wide feet and they do seem to fit similarly. In my massive sample of one
I bought NorthWave Clans and they are narrow and really lack grip, I didn't setmy hopes all that high but I still feel let down by them. Pretty sure I still have some paint thinners in the shed, that'll soften the sole up a some.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I bought NorthWave Clans and they are narrow and really lack grip, I didn't setmy hopes all that high but I still feel let down by them. Pretty sure I still have some paint thinners in the shed, that'll soften the sole up a some.
Apparently the unparallel shoes are pretty grippy. Don't know how wide they are.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Super Alloy Racing

Ordered a spring, received an empty box and a sorry message from Royal Mail. Emailed SAR, received a response in minutes, replacement shipped immediately which will be here in 3 days. Damn good service.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I just got a pair of Clan's as well.
Yesterday was the first day on them, and I am undecided. (Last day of the season for the big bike at the local hill)
I have a narrower foot, so the fit is good. They are decently stiff.
...but the sole - just not sure.
It is a bit weird, you put your foot down and it does not seem to have as much grip as you would think, very easy to reposition your foot at this point. But, after you have been in position for a few seconds, it seems to improve and you will have a hard time moving it.

So, for getting into position and staying, they are good, but when you have to dab and get back on they can feel a bit sketchy at first until you "sink" back in. No idea if this will improve as the sole gets chewed in and the pins soften up where they sit the most.

222lbs ready to ride so that may be of some consequence. Coming from some old pre-Adidas Impact II low that I finally killed the sole on.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I just got a pair of Clan's as well.
Yesterday was the first day on them, and I am undecided. (Last day of the season for the big bike at the local hill)
I have a narrower foot, so the fit is good. They are decently stiff.
...but the sole - just not sure.
It is a bit weird, you put your foot down and it does not seem to have as much grip as you would think, very easy to reposition your foot at this point. But, after you have been in position for a few seconds, it seems to improve and you will have a hard time moving it.

So, for getting into position and staying, they are good, but when you have to dab and get back on they can feel a bit sketchy at first until you "sink" back in. No idea if this will improve as the sole gets chewed in and the pins soften up where they sit the most.

222lbs ready to ride so that may be of some consequence. Coming from some old pre-Adidas Impact II low that I finally killed the sole on.
Honestly this is how I feel the Adidas 5tens feel with their soles. Not the instant stick of older 5tens.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Not really "Industry" per se, but Bruni is a legend and awesome to hear his thoughts on 2019 season.