Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
reminds me of when i knew it was time for me to get out of skateboarding-when shit got super technical and 12 year olds were doing combos into and out of slides and grinds that i couldn't even understand.

not that i'll ever stop riding...there's always pleasure to be found going down steep shit and smashing rox

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There's not really much right with the industry, but in terms of the mountainbiking population, the pun comment strings on pinkbike are fucking gold.

And no that's not about the article, it's the comments son! Don't need kids to appreciate shitty dad jokes.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Tracks like these. Such a shame it had to be torn down and that stuff like this can't be built legally
I’m not sure, when we push the sport so far that a tiny lapse/mistake=massive life changing injury or death, it’s getting out of control. It seems that a lot of racing is getting this way too. It’s down to who has the biggest balls, but there is so little room for mistakes that you’ve reduced it down to luck, because the tech skills and strength are all relatively the same, if you push harder/faster, you might end up winning or as a vegetable. These kind of stunts are fun to watch, but that’s about it for me. I will go back to being old now.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I’m not sure, when we push the sport so far that a tiny lapse/mistake=massive life changing injury or death, it’s getting out of control. It seems that a lot of racing is getting this way too. It’s down to who has the biggest balls, but there is so little room for mistakes that you’ve reduced it down to luck, because the tech skills and strength are all relatively the same, if you push harder/faster, you might end up winning or as a vegetable. These kind of stunts are fun to watch, but that’s about it for me. I will go back to being old now.
Oh THAT'S who that video is for ;)

Have you seen air races? I mean, riding bikes on trails like that which have existed for about 20 years now is pretty damn tame. I built one with some friends like 12 years ago. Another friend of mine built one even more similar about 15 years ago. Bikes are better and safer if anything. It's not as much of a gamble as you think. Those guys didn't start riding just before that video or anything. And IMO, that shit's nothing compared to pushing WC race courses in terms of walking fine lines.

The most dangerous looking thing to me is poorly placing big jumps between goal posts like that. That's just stupid.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh THAT'S who that video is for ;)

Have you seen air races? I mean, riding bikes on trails like that which have existed for about 20 years now is pretty damn tame. I built one with some friends like 12 years ago. Another friend of mine built one even more similar about 15 years ago. Bikes are better and safer if anything. It's not as much of a gamble as you think. Those guys didn't start riding just before that video or anything. And IMO, that shit's nothing compared to pushing WC race courses in terms of walking fine lines.

The most dangerous looking thing to me is poorly placing big jumps between goal posts like that. That's just stupid.
To be fair, I don’t drink Red Bull either.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't think anyone does.

I'm pretty sure both monster and redbull subsist on a malaysian market of 14 year old customers, just to make bank to put on events for white people in europe and north america. That shit tasted gross in my teens so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I had a coworker at an old job who would drink Monster mixed with Mountain Dew Code Red daily.

I'd rather drink bleach.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't think anyone does.

I'm pretty sure both monster and redbull subsist on a malaysian market of 14 year old customers, just to make bank to put on events for white people in europe and north america. That shit tasted gross in my teens so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.
You should see how that stuff is consumed in the Alaskan villages. They could put in a pipeline and pump it directly out their to hubs and it still wouldn’t be enough. The amount of soda and rockstar/monster that is shipped every day is frightening. It is sad.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
You should see how that stuff is consumed in the Alaskan villages. They could put in a pipeline and pump it directly out their to hubs and it still wouldn’t be enough. The amount of soda and rockstar/monster that is shipped every day is frightening. It is sad.
around here it's mostly consumed by construction workers, mx riders, bartenders, and rednecks from what i can tell. thanks for supporting my wc and rampage streams, dumbasses!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Hahaha!

Sorry canada. It was fun while it lasted. Welcome to freedom™. Welcome to the rise of the 'group' who would not exist to serve a population that would not exist, if not for the activity they are now condemning.

A question for FVMBA. What is it about the trails you're building that still leaves people with the need to build their own? Kill the need, kill the problem. Until then......

Sorry, reading the words 'achieve a positive outcome' is my trigger. You're in canada! Speak ingrish! :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yea but have they started vaping it?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How is the grip? Same as 5.10s?
Pretty good, but definitely not as sticky as Stealth Mi6. Soles are on the stiff side, whether or not that's a good thing is probably personal preference. They fit super well on my feet, and the inside ankle padding is well done. The soles are also very well cushioned.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Pretty good, but definitely not as sticky as Stealth Mi6. Soles are on the stiff side, whether or not that's a good thing is probably personal preference. They fit super well on my feet, and the inside ankle padding is well done. The soles are also very well cushioned.
This^^. Based on reviews I figured the midsole would be a bit stiffer than my 5.10s, with moar Cush, and they are in fact better for downcountry trailduro epics as a result. Not insanely sticky but allow for repositioning. Only negative is that my super high instep sorta crowds out the tongue to the side but that’s not a big deal.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
that's the thing - good geometry doesn't cost more. there's no reason why there shouldn't be class leading (alu) bikes at reasonable prices. realistically, the benefit of a $10k full carbon superbike vs a $5k alu rig with dialed numbers is negligible under most mortals. though the industry would like to tell us otherwise.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I like that Mike Levy is such a shill for the industry now that he can't even call out a favorite bike in a 4 bike shootout because he's afraid it'll be awkward if he points out one of them broke.

And I think it's good for the industry to acknowledge that they broke a human down into nothing like that.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
are we talking worst tires?

my vote:
View attachment 137212
2 months late, but I think I found a worthy contender for the worstest. I didn't even know these tires existed. I laughed hard when I saw these things in the discounted bin at the shop. I guess they were classified as unrideable POS as soon as they came out...in the days when all tires were crap. No small feat, I guess.
IMG_20141030_124111.jpg

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Getting Jason Lucas (from IFHT) to do the Pinkbike Enduro testing is friggen awesome. More real people smashing shit please. Good rider, reasonable build and ride style. I'd like to see Pete Matthews from the Bike Park crew wreck some stuff as well, but anyway its awesome seeing some more relatable testers getting out there.

I don't mind Kazimer actually, but he's super lean and his experience works against him a bit because they tend to get absorbed by the industry, much like a slow-eaten victim of the Blob. You start wondering how honest and open they can be about products supplied by guys who have fed them rounds of beers at industry trade shows.

It'd be a nightmare from a journalistic perspective, but if they could grab a few random real-world riders and get them to run new product and report back it'd be a whole lot more valuable.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Jason Lucas
This the guy they got to ride in their latest slow-mo G-out video that broke the Pole?
That video was weird. landing a wooden kicker to flat asphalt in a car park with almost zero consistency to your foot position (or forward foot) and zero smoothness to any of your landings was just weird to watch. If you say he is a good rider with decent style this has to have been intentional gooning/shite riding? No? Or is he just ambi-footed and doesn't GAF/trying to break 'em?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
This the guy they got to ride in their latest slow-mo G-out video that broke the Pole?
That video was weird. landing a wooden kicker to flat asphalt in a car park with almost zero consistency to your foot position (or forward foot) and zero smoothness to any of your landings was just weird to watch. If you say he is a good rider with decent style this has to have been intentional gooning/shite riding? No? Or is he just ambi-footed and doesn't GAF/trying to break 'em?
In the comments they say the only constraint they had was pretty much just to land in the same spot for the high speed camera to catch them. It's purely 1000 fps onanism.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I saw it on Youtube not Pinkbike
Not that I'd bother reading the comments on either TBF

Just thought it pretty odd using a rider that jumps/lands switch footed half the time.