Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I don't give AF what stickers are on that thing. That's a sick bike and a smoking deal. I've been looking at new trail bikes, and this is at the top of my list so far.
I'm gonna have to run a double blind test with Ellsworth stickers just to see how much you "don't give AF"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I know what you mean, I'd feel a bit dirty buying and riding an ibis.

Looks like a good bike though.

Occasionally I feel dirty riding my Ripmo considering what it looks like I paid for it. But since I got it for less than a Ripmo AF I don't feel too bad. Although intrigued by the AF geometry I appreciate the agility of the Ripmo and haven't yet thought I needed it more slackery yet, but an angleset should get me pretty close if I wanted to.

Olga_icannot

Chimp
Aug 16, 2014
Seattle
any of you Ibis whores ride the HD5 ?
Not yet. But I love my HD4. I can only assume the HD5 is moar better.
I'm with Salami, I love my HD4 though I'm not convinced the HD5 is better. Of course I have new bike lust on a regular basis but when it comes down to actually clicking the buy button on something new nothing else out there strikes as good a balance as the HD4 for what I want out of my not-a-DH bike. There is a blister gear review on the HD4 that pretty much sums up my feelings-something like "...[the HD4] is the most downhill oriented bike I would want to pedal all day..." I'm not quite 5'10" and riding a large with a +5mm reach adjust headset. I'd like to run a longer dropper post-I could maybe just barely squeeze a 210mm One Up in there. A 200mm 9point8 is about 5mm too long. The HD5 would fix that for me. Some people probably consider the HD4 seat tube angle too slack but I can say that it's ever bothered me. The HD5 would fix that if it bothers you. On the flip side-I'm thoroughly opposed to internally routed brake lines so the HD4 is better than the HD5 in that respect. Also, other than Turner, no one has really successfully utilized a bushing in the main pivot instead of bearings so I'm skeptical of the HD5 on that front as well.

FWIW I did put down a deposit on one of these https://www.privateerbikes.com/products/privateer-161 because it ticks a lot of boxes, the price is right, and my new bike curiosity might finally win its battle with my rational "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude about my HD4.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That Privateer is interesting!!

I'm with Salami, I love my HD4 though I'm not convinced the HD5 is better. Of course I have new bike lust on a regular basis but when it comes down to actually clicking the buy button on something new nothing else out there strikes as good a balance as the HD4 for what I want out of my not-a-DH bike. There is a blister gear review on the HD4 that pretty much sums up my feelings-something like "...[the HD4] is the most downhill oriented bike I would want to pedal all day..." I'm not quite 5'10" and riding a large with a +5mm reach adjust headset. I'd like to run a longer dropper post-I could maybe just barely squeeze a 210mm One Up in there. A 200mm 9point8 is about 5mm too long. The HD5 would fix that for me. Some people probably consider the HD4 seat tube angle too slack but I can say that it's ever bothered me. The HD5 would fix that if it bothers you. On the flip side-I'm thoroughly opposed to internally routed brake lines so the HD4 is better than the HD5 in that respect. Also, other than Turner, no one has really successfully utilized a bushing in the main pivot instead of bearings so I'm skeptical of the HD5 on that front as well.

FWIW I did put down a deposit on one of these https://www.privateerbikes.com/products/privateer-161 because it ticks a lot of boxes, the price is right, and my new bike curiosity might finally win its battle with my rational "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude about my HD4.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Kitsbow moves from CA to NC:

They're going to invest $890,000. Received $400,000 in incentives. Did not state the time period.

Wonder how many pairs of shorts that is! My guess is 10 years worth... at least.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

They're going to invest $890,000. Received $400,000 in incentives. Did not state the time period.

Wonder how many pairs of shorts that is! My guess is 10 years worth... at least.
that's been floating around local biking news for a while. old fort's a decent spot - 30 minutes to asheville, probably cheap to live/set up business in, and although not in pisgah proper, proximity to two popular mountain bike trails (kitsuma and heartbreak). still not gonna shell out the cash for their gear though. :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Is NC one of the "right to work" States?

edit: yes it is. fuck those guys. not that I ever would spend that kind of money on clothing, but this pretty much guarantees I won't buy anything of theirs moving forward.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Is NC one of the "right to work" States?

edit: yes it is. fuck those guys. not that I ever would spend that kind of money on clothing, but this pretty much guarantees I won't buy anything of theirs moving forward.
so no i9 or cane creek for you either? and how do you feel about all of your chinese made stuff?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Let's remember the title of this thread. Curious what the size of their business is. Wishing them the best. Can't imagine they'll fill the shoes of an employer the size of Ethan Allen for some time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Do even dentists spend $265 on a pair of shorts?

I also appreciate equally expensive flannels so I can look rugged and working class while riding.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I liked my Joker until it broke... Edit: Actually, it has an Aeon sticker...
Dog Welder had one absolutely disintegrate under him at Mammoth. I think it came apart into 5 distinct pieces.

I always, always wanted a Dare. Seeing the grainy silhouette at the back of Mountain Bike Action in 1999 was my first bona fide case of bike lust. Luckily I got smart and got the similar-looking but much-better Turner RFX instead... I still wanna get an Old English font decal for it that says "TURNER."

Now back to twenty years later...

(I do like the looks of that Ibis)

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
after hearing the dreaded "psssssssh" sound yesterday but losing no pressure in les east cost rox, gonna maintain my thoughts that doubledown casing + sealant are what's right, at least for a hack like me and for now

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
after hearing the dreaded "psssssssh" sound yesterday but losing no pressure in les east cost rox, gonna maintain my thoughts that doubledown casing + sealant are what's right, at least for a hack like me and for now
Yeah double down is amazing, they just don't make the tyre I want (DHR2 29x2.4 Maxterra) in that casing, hopefully it'll come soon.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
In good news, fox just released their best fork in years.

In funny news: even though it's cheaper, will work better and require less maintenance, it still won't sell to the bike industry's target market of weekend warriors with more disposable income than experience based on the fact that it's not as expensive.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

In funny news: even though it's cheaper, will work better and require less maintenance, it still won't sell to the bike industry's target market of weekend warriors with more disposable income than experience based on the fact that it's not as expensive.
bUt KaZiMeR sAiD iT wEiGhS a WhOlE eXtRa PoUnD!!!!1!!!!!111!!!!!1!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I hope that the Z1's revival means that once again every other thread on the monkey is about tuning Z1's.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I hope that the Z1's revival means that once again every other thread on the monkey is about tuning Z1's.
Haha. Well according to the two reviews I read it seems like 'the stock spring rate is too light' and 'I'm between spring rates' thing is right out of the year 2000 book.