Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
@kidwoo https://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-best-mtb-hip-pack/

I thought i was gonna get bored in COVID quarantine, but they've really come through for us.
Surprising. I have the Evoc Race 3L and the strap system is absolutely horrendous, you can't tighten it on the fly and have to take it off and monkey around with it to do so, which is a pretty big flaw considering you'll drink water out of it and the size will go down and it'll end up loose if you don't. From what I understand, shortly after I bought it last year, they updated this ridiculous aspect, but what a freaking oversight.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why? sunrace cassettes are shit

and have you ever used microshift drivetrains?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You know deore/zee is 10 speed and cheap, durable and actually works well right?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

Haven't used Microshift products per se, but have used a Sunrace cassette on my old bike for awhile and rate it a 6/10. Main reason why I got it was because it had more range than the 10 spd Shimano offerings, plus it was pretty fucking heavy, which is always appreciated. But I'm guessing Shimano still doesn't offer a big cog over 38 or 40 in their 10 stuff, so Mircos 46 is a pretty big advantage provided it actually works Ok.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019

It can't be worse than how shit the nx derailleur is. Does zee or deore have a larger sprocket than 42 tooth or do you have to use a sunrace cassette to get that in a 10 speed? Also there's no more deore 10 speed info on shimano's website so they might be discontinuing it, hopefully for a deore 12 speed that uses an HG driver.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
but have used a Sunrace cassette on my old bike for awhile and rate it a 6/10.
I wouldn't rate it even that high. I found durability/wear rate shocking and shift quality noticably worse than anything Shimano make. including tourney

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I don't need a larger sprocket than 42t
Neither should you.
Or anyone who'd seriously call 4t more a BIG advantage
Is that right? :rolleyes:
Paired with what front gear?

Some people have longer steeper climbs you know.

BTW... how are you and your g/f feeling? All good?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019

Right? I ride things with 32t/50 my wife walks with 28t/42 on her deore bike. But I basically never use the 2nd gear on eagle.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I would love a QUALITY modern 10spd setup with a 46+ tooth granny. Hell I still think 9spd Shimano was the smoothest shifting I ever had, probably because of Shimano’s steel machining capability.

The One up 46T bodge sprocket never shifted well for me compared to proper 11 and 12 spd cassettes.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I had a good snack break on those rocky switchbacks right before the top just sitting in the sun and watching 3 guys on motos absolutely hating life. I know what I felt just pushing a bicycle, I can't even imagine what those dudes felt like by the time they got to the top.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I wouldn't rate it even that high. I found durability/wear rate shocking and shift quality noticably worse than anything Shimano make. including tourney
Shit. Just got one to convert the 2x10 on a used bike to 1x10. Really that bad? Then I have to kick some "friends" behinds because they told me they great experiences with Sunrace cassettes.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
36T

Yeah. no doubt.
Despite being an Ebike sell out I'm good for 4-5 thousand feet of climbing on a 36t x 25 lowest gear on my 4X hardtail, kinda ride it like a SS though, Capra has 36x10-42 and TBH it feels quite luxurious.
difficult to gauge anyone elses trails steepness. but 3000ft up and down derp/DH tracks can frequently be less than a 9 mile ride.
My point was 4T cassette ring difference on an already massive cassette isn't really a game changer ;)

She's fully recovered, but her sense of smell/taste hasn't returned yet. I'm getting there. chest's still a little tight but otherwise feeling a lot better, bit weak though but I've actually been outdoors today and rolled around on an old hardtail. (easier than walking TBH)
Thanks for asking.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Shit. Just got one to convert the 2x10 on a used bike to 1x10. Really that bad? Then I have to kick some "friends" behinds because they told me they great experiences with Sunrace cassettes.
I've ridden two, a 11-42 and my current 11-46. They do pretty well IMHO. But I don't ride as often as Gary.
I found durability on the Eeb a massive issue with them. wearing out the smaller (11-15t) sprockets to the point of chain slip in less than 200 miles. (on two cassettes back to back, new chains with each). when a Shimano cassette lasts 2000+ is completely unacceptible.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
She's fully recovered, but her sense of smell/taste hasn't returned yet. I'm getting there. chest's still a little tight but otherwise feeling a lot better, bit weak though but I've actually been outdoors today and rolled around on an old hardtail. (easier than walking TBH)
Thanks for asking.
good to hear. stay safe.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I'd be down with a max 44 tooth 7 or 6 speed drivetrain. Unfortunately I'm not aware of this exisiting. Otherwise it's cool that other players are coming out with some different stuff, but what makes a drivetrain work well is extremely tight tolerances and high hardness material/finishes. I'd love to be proven wrong with the Microshift stuff, but I just can't fathom the parts being robust enough with high quality tolerance and metallurgy for the price listed.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah, that threw me off. Funny, because the prototypes I recall seeing at Bikerumor had a much simpler cassette, derived from the NX one.
I had the EX drivetrain and I like the 8 speed idea but never really got along with it. I never managed to get it to run right. Lots of skipping. A GX seems to skip less and stay adjusted for longer. It’s a shame because that EX cassette is pretty nice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had the EX drivetrain and I like the 8 speed idea but never really got along with it. I never managed to get it to run right. Lots of skipping. A GX seems to skip less and stay adjusted for longer. It’s a shame because that EX cassette is pretty nice.
I just can't remember which "X" is supposed to be better, is it GX, NX, EX, ZX?