Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
She's fully recovered, but her sense of smell/taste hasn't returned yet. I'm getting there. chest's still a little tight but otherwise feeling a lot better, bit weak though but I've actually been outdoors today and rolled around on an old hardtail. (easier than walking TBH)
Thanks for asking.
I missed this - did you have the 'Rona? Fark.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I had a good snack break on those rocky switchbacks right before the top just sitting in the sun and watching 3 guys on motos absolutely hating life. I know what I felt just pushing a bicycle, I can't even imagine what those dudes felt like by the time they got to the top.
EDIT: Can't wait to ride that loop on the Sur-ron this summer!
I've only done it on my Freeride250. That bike is basically made for that stuff. But I cartwheeled it in an early rocky section on the downhill. The attributes that help it up tight switchbacks make it twitchy at DH bike speeds through a rock garden.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Still do.
I'm staying at my GF's.. Take away delivery driver from a couple of streets away died from it Thursday. Poor dude was same age as me. (49).
Dang, I missed that as well :eek: Wish you all the best and a full recovery. So my daily whiskey and beer diet is not gonna stop an infection you say...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Dang, I missed that as well :eek: Wish you all the best and a full recovery. So my daily whiskey and beer diet is not gonna stop an infection you say...
If the Wiskey has not more than 70% alcohol and you snort it, then most likely no.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I already posted this in the other thread, did you see it? https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-scientists-warn-covid-19-could-lead-to-neurological-complications-in/

I hope both of you fully recover, fingers crossed!
sorry. Missed that link in the C19 thread. But thanks.
Not to hijack this thread but I had a few days I've described as similar to going through the day on a 1/4 - 1/2 tab of acid. Def some neuro weirdness to do with the virus. My heads pretty fucked up from my lifestyle already (lifestyle choices which begun at far too young an age, I'm sure you get the picture) and been through bouts of poor mental health/psychosis etc in my adult life. I've heard others say the virus made them paranoid.. I'm pretty good at dealing with those sorts of feelings nowadays and know myself so well I can take the early queues/signs in and mostly deal with them by myself. (obviously) anxiety that goes hand in hand with having the virus doesn't help matters.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I don't like whiskey. Whisky even less.
Haven't had as much as a beer for 4 weeks.
Hmmm..

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
have never ordered from TheLostCo in Bellingham, but they had a good price on a Fox top cap hex remover, it was in stock, shipping was reasonable, and they shipped it within an hour of my order. #approve

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
@Gary is vindicated! Pink bike value bike huck to flat video - Left foot forward, every huck.
FTS - I've been riding on dirt for 50 years and have always been right foot forward. But then again I was right foot forward when skating as well.

Not the first time I'v been accused of being goofy, footed or otherwise. :busted:

It don't bloody matter, just go ride your bike.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
goofy for life, baby.

Actually due to back knee meniscus damage, I'm trying to remember to ride switch on easier sections of trails.

It's hard as fuck to learn, while maintaining flow, at my age. :(

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Lelandjt
inside foot forward always allows your rearward outside foot to be dropped quickly with no resistance (a 1/4 back pedal). the other way you have to pedal forwards to drop your outside foot (or back pedal 3/4 of a rev).
Most of the fastest racers corner with their dominant foot forwards turning either direction if their cranks are level(ish)
i do some weird shit with my feet. That many other riders don't. some of it comes from fucking around on DJ bikes and BMX. Nick may well be the same.

@lobsterCT
I'm actually fairly ambi footed with a pref for right foot forwards.
I can hop, jump drop, manual either foot forwards but on bigger jumps or drops I'd always prefer reight foot forwards.
a serious foot injury forced me to learn to ride switch for a few years until I was strong enough to go back. now I'm ambi.
Just seemed really weird that the rider in the Pinkbike huck video didn't hit that huck to flat with any consistency to his position.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Glancing at this thread, I see that we're finally no longer able to scrape up anything decent to say about the industry. Sounds about right.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Right on Gary. My Babel fish doesn't always get the Scottish translation right, but I got that you were griping about the inconsistency, not that it was left or right that was correct. I found the video amusing, it was almost as if your post burned his ears.

Hope you feel better soon, with good times on the trail and in the Pub not too far ahead.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
yes, they get help from a MOTOR
I laughed!
They actually don't tho.
Technically the chainring spider get's the help via the motors clutch mechanism. and it's the force/cadence from my feet that controls the assistance the motor gives to it
Try one.
Pedalling is pretty natural. Particularly in trail mode on an E8000 with latest firmware.
One other bonuse because of the freewheel between the crank and the chainring spider is dropping a foot with a 1/4 backpedal is even easier as it won't backpedal the chain.
On a DH bike, in the worst conditions we ride here in Bogland, the technique Nick and I describe can sometimes cause a chainguide jam or the chain to skip gear on the cassette when riding sequential tight corners as the chain it's forced to rotate backwards.
[/Nerd]

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That's another reason I approach corners with the ourside foot forward and forward 1/4 pedal into outside-foot-down, less chance of dropped chain.
Neither way is wrong.
Though if you're braking with the rear while approaching the next turn. you won't actually be able to get that outside foot down your way.

chain devices are pretty good at keeping chains in place.
I haven't jammed a chain device in years.
but i don't ride too much shit show conditions DH anymore.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I laughed!
They actually don't tho.
Technically the chainring spider get's the help via the motors clutch mechanism. and it's the force/cadence from my feet that controls the assistance the motor gives to it
Try one.
Pedalling is pretty natural. Particularly in trail mode on an E8000 with latest firmware.
One other bonuse because of the freewheel between the crank and the chainring spider is dropping a foot with a 1/4 backpedal is even easier as it won't backpedal the chain.
On a DH bike, in the worst conditions we ride here in Bogland, the technique Nick and I describe can sometimes cause a chainguide jam or the chain to skip gear on the cassette when riding sequential tight corners as the chain it's forced to rotate backwards.
[/Nerd]
i tried one. there are still no mountains around berlin. gravel bike it is then.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I approach all turns with my left foot forward, have to pedal left foot forward to get it down, right foot rearward to get it down.

But i do think inside foot forward is far more appropriate

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I approach all turns with my left foot forward, have to pedal left foot forward to get it down, right foot rearward to get it down.

But i do think inside foot forward is far more appropriate
I wouldn't worry about it, pretty much the entire WC field use the same approach as you do.
and opposite to what you've described if they're a right foot forwards rider