I've had this happen a few times, not really a big deal:

1. Remove tire
2. Locate pinch-flat hole area
3. Clean said area on inside of tire
4. Cut small piece of old DH tube
5. Super glue piece of tube on the inside of tire to cover pinch flat area
6. Wait for it to dry
7. Reinstall tire

You don't have to throw away a tire because of a pinch flat. I've done this on at least 5-6 tires in the last few years and each time it's held up until the tread was gone and the tire needed actual replacing.
Oh yeah, to be clear I'm all about being cheap as fuck. I'm all about the tire boots.

So far I've only had one (knock on wood) with the EXO+, but it went on the bead itself, and there as no amount of patching that could fix it. I tried a few different rubber glues but none really worked, and I couldn't even stick a tube in there because it would bulge out.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Vulcanising solution isn't really a glue. It chemically melts the rubber of the patch and it then "cures" with the tube/tyre. Hence preparation and correct procedure/use being so important.

Seen far too many folk mess around trying to clamp patches on to tubes/tyres not understanding how vulcanising solution is meant to be used.

Last edited:

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Yeah, super-glue bonds well with organics...like your skin, but isn't exactly flexible either, which is why I'd think vulcanizing glue would be best.
It could be better especially in the sidewall or tread area. The bead area I do not believe is going to flex near as much. I started this on nitro/lipo powered rc cars that exceeded 40mph. Held great there too!

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
It could be better especially in the sidewall or tread area. The bead area I do not believe is going to flex near as much. I started this on nitro/lipo powered rc cars that exceeded 40mph. Held great there too!
um, it flexes alot there.
vulcanizing bond is greater than cyanoacrylate because it makes the rubber one continuous piece

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
You do you. It worked for me and I will continue to do what I know that works well.
Yeah man totally ill do me, and know how tires and tubes are made in the first place, how tire shops patch tires from passenger to heavy equipment and how things like convair belts are spliced. And what tire patch mfgs include with patches.... you go head and keep your head in the sand because something worked one time.....

Maybe try moose spunk as tire sealant and tell everyone how good it is.....

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Yeah man totally ill do me, and know how tires and tubes are made in the first place, how tire shops patch tires from passenger to heavy equipment and how things like convair belts are spliced. And what tire patch mfgs include with patches.... you go head and keep your head in the sand because something worked one time.....

Maybe try moose spunk as tire sealant and tell everyone how good it is.....
It has worked multiple times and it is cheap. Don't be offended when someone has done something different than you. I shared something that worked and could be used in a pinch if needed. None of what you said is difficult to find out how it is done. I am glad you have the power to Google search.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
It has worked multiple times and it is cheap. Don't be offended when someone has done something different than you. I shared something that worked and could be used in a pinch if needed. None of what you said is difficult to find out how it is done. I am glad you have the power to Google search.
Yeahbut...that kinda' seems his schtick.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Nice to see the gang at GG still banging along, so much so, they're hiring moar peeps -

"Once again we need to thank our entire community of supporters. Gnarvana reception has been off the charts! In times of paycuts and layoffs, we recently added a new assembly tech and just listed four new job postings on our website. We will continue to offer the quality of service and manufacturing you demand of us."

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No.

Isn't the whole point of crazy pills to suppress crazy thoughts?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My most used bike just now is my Capra.
Not that it matters.
Riding bikes is riding bikes.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
My most used bike just now is my Capra.
Not that it matters.
Riding bikes is riding bikes.
The last two seasons I loved my Capra 29 with DHX2. It was the best DH bike I've owned and decent as a trail bike and climber. This season I swapped my parts onto a Ransom frame and I'm loving the weight drop (2.3lbs) and better trail bike manners. I don't feel it gives up anything on the downhills (it does give up a bash guard) while being a significantly more efficient feeling climber and genuinely fun on flat singletrack. With Double Downs it's 29.5lbs so with a set of Exo tires, the shock in short travel mode, and the flip chip in "high" it wouldn't give up anything to the new Tallboy or Ripley as a trail bike.
What's Right With The Industry is you can now have a single bike that covers the entire spectrum of riding (and even amateur racing) with just a tire swap.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You literally can't un-see it. Hell, I don't even know what they do when they get to the top of those roads.

Like seriously, why the fuck would you be willingly using your arms to propel you uphill? That makes no fucking sense.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Nothing is weirder than the nordic skiers going up the roads on their roller blades in the summer, all spandex-ed out.
You literally can't un-see it. Hell, I don't even know what they do when they get to the top of those roads.

Like seriously, why the fuck would you be willingly using your arms to propel you uphill? That makes no fucking sense.
Probably this

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The last two seasons I loved my Capra 29 with DHX2. It was the best DH bike I've owned and decent as a trail bike and climber. This season I swapped my parts onto a Ransom frame and I'm loving the weight drop (2.3lbs) and better trail bike manners. I don't feel it gives up anything on the downhills (it does give up a bash guard) while being a significantly more efficient feeling climber and genuinely fun on flat singletrack. With Double Downs it's 29.5lbs so with a set of Exo tires, the shock in short travel mode, and the flip chip in "high" it wouldn't give up anything to the new Tallboy or Ripley as a trail bike.
What's Right With The Industry is you can now have a single bike that covers the entire spectrum of riding (and even amateur racing) with just a tire swap.
mine is actually a 2017 carbon with 26" wheels. Weighs about 30lb and rides nothing like a modern big wheel trail bike. (but that's a good thing in my book)
I actually think the most versatile bike possible is a 100mm hardtail. But I also think versatility is down to the rider not the bike. And one bike for every type of ride has been around since day one.
Every bike is compromised somewhere..

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
that's the thing - good geometry doesn't cost more. there's no reason why there shouldn't be class leading (alu) bikes at reasonable prices. realistically, the benefit of a $10k full carbon superbike vs a $5k alu rig with dialed numbers is negligible under most mortals. though the industry would like to tell us otherwise.
I’m ogling an alu Sight these days. I’ve never ridden one, but I’ve also not read a single negative review. Only iffy comment has mentioned the weight.

Have you gone full 29er yet?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I’m ogling an alu Sight these days. I’ve never ridden one, but I’ve also not read a single negative review. Only iffy comment has mentioned the weight.

Have you gone full 29er yet?
yeah alu sight or the new meta tr both look dialed. and i see the meta is available polished in frame only...

still on small(er) wheels. apart from the want for new trinkets (which is held firmly in check by my miserly ways), i've no reason to replace the trusty old jalopy (yet).