Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Wait what is the best at? I have seen some videos here and there of her but has she won numerous EWS races, Slope contests?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I meant that Grow is awesome.

SC giving cash to trail groups is rad too, though I'm pretty sure that MBOSC project - San Vicente Redwoods - just got nuked in the fire. :(

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I meant that Grow is awesome.

SC giving cash to trail groups is rad too, though I'm pretty sure that MBOSC project - San Vicente Redwoods - just got nuked in the fire. :(
Doesn't that just mean you have to ride it in the sun light and take the b line where all the wooden features would be. Ash mixed in the dirt should make the trail pack down really nice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We have a significant layer of ash and you have to dig past it, it washes out if you leave it on the top.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I wanted to give a quick shout out to Ohlins USA. Sold my used 36 for an insanely high price, only to discover that the high price was because EVERYONE is sold out of 29er short offset forks, and delivery from Asia keeps getting delayed further and further - Manitou initially said end of August for a Mezzer, now saying end of October at best.

Fast forward a few days, saw the universally positive reviews on the Ohlins RXF 36 m.2 and called them up to chat. Turns out the group I teach for has a deal with them. Jake at Ohlins was super easy to work with, very impressive in his suspension knowledge, and the fork was literally on the UPS truck 3 hours after I got off the phone with him. In a time where lots of companies are struggling to keep up with customer service, let alone keep things in stock, was an awesome experience.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fox/marzocci has brought back the bomber DJ fork.

36mm stanchions, but most importantly, with a 20mm non-boost axle. they say its 26" only, but it sure looks like you could get a larger wheel in there. :clue:

1601394127379.png

1601394209595.png

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

No way in hell I'd use that name again. Those first gens were deathtraps.

Other than the lowers, I'm not sure what's usable there for a trail fork. The lowers look standard 160mm foxy, but I'm sure the stanchions and obviously the internals are 100mm.

So far, pinkbike buy and sell and ebay still seems like the best fork supplier.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I think he's right not to mention these aspects (RedBull and bigger teams influence).

UCI is the governing body and they are the one that should get the finger pointed at. It is their responsability to keep a stand against RB and the bigger teams if they have requests that are hurting the sport as a whole.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
That is just the reality of the very top level of racing. People aren't setting their alarms to wake up early to watch #225 ride down the hill. It does suck for the privateers but World Cups are only a select few races a year for the very best. And if privateers want to make it to them, they have to prove theirselves at other races first now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That is just the reality of the very top level of racing. People aren't setting their alarms to wake up early to watch #225 ride down the hill. It does suck for the privateers but World Cups are only a select few races a year for the very best. And if privateers want to make it to them, they have to prove theirselves at other races first now.
Considering some of the horror show runs you can see during worlds because some schmuck got a national jersey from Burkina Faso, more amateurs isn't going to help TV ratings.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
would rather he not fuck over bands on his shit label.
Considering some of the horror show runs you can see during worlds because some schmuck got a national jersey from Burkina Faso, more amateurs isn't going to help TV ratings.
this. as much as i hate the idea of a reduced rider field, i rarely, if ever, watch the first half of the racers.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't usually watch the early racers either, but that doesn't mean a bigger field wouldn't be better for rider development, and producing a competitive field in the long run.

There's also a big difference between the 9th fastest French rider vs the random dude who shows up because Estonia decides to send somebody.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Same, also a good reminder on why I should resist the urge to buy a GoPro, nobody wants to watch that shit.
same, I bought one thinking it would be _so_ cool, but then all I got were images of my chin or top tube and I look even slower on film than real life, so I haven't taken it out in a while.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I'm, uh, not exactly pursuing a WC career, so I may have the details wrong, but he's critical of the 40 UCI point threshold to be able to enter. He talks about how hard it is to earn UCI points at World Cups, but doesn't mention that there are other events where you can earn them. It seems like a lot of the problem is down to a lack of other national/regional events were it's possible to earn those points. Cathro has referenced this as part of his series. Is this a UCI failure relating to World Cups or a larger failure to develop strong national/regional level feeder series?

I kind of come down on the side of "World Cup racing should be a top level sport where there's no expectation that some rando outside of the top, say, 40 in the world should be able to show up and try to qualify." It's cool that that's how it used to be I guess, but what other sport has a system that would allow that?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The only thing scarier than that is watching collegiate racers forced to race all mtb events at a race.
I will admit one major flaw in my above post, while I don't mind the World Cup races being for the very best,
it does suck if your home country is shit on putting on creditable races for you to earn points. Even here in the US, a privateer has to travel a ridiculous amount to earn enough points here to race World Cups.