Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm biased, but i'm also pretty sure this is good shit to offset RM conspiracy theories.
this is the exception, not the rule. call us when trek, specialized, & giant open their wallets

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
disclaimer: i'm extra salty about the subject, there's no larger regional trails group where i am, and the smaller clubs or whatever they call themselves are mostly dirt roadies that sanitize or berminate trails. :(

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
You know what Fox actually got right?? Bolt on fenders (well, two little screws and mounts to the air thingies). I finally got my hands on one for the 38. Super clean and solid.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
disclaimer: i'm extra salty about the subject, there's no larger regional trails group where i am, and the smaller clubs or whatever they call themselves are mostly dirt roadies that sanitize or berminate trails.
Could be worse - imagine you'd have a larger bike club that sanitizes and berminates trails AND sends your money to Kingdom Trails so they can buy some more land.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I finally got one from TheLostCo a couple weeks back. They told me they sold out of 100 in under 24 hours. I can't find a KaboltX anywhere.

I think the fender looks cool, but I was always fine with a Marsh and zip ties.

I'm wondering if the fender mounting screws are tiny so that they break away rather than cracking the arch.

where'd you find one? most places are out of stock.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I finally got one from TheLostCo a couple weeks back. They told me they sold out of 100 in under 24 hours. I can't find a KaboltX anywhere.

I think the fender looks cool, but I was always fine with a Marsh and zip ties.

I'm wondering if the fender mounting screws are tiny so that they break away rather than cracking the arch.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Thanks, I love RAP - we use their gear for trail work - but they don't have a KaboltX yet, as far as I can tell.

Kabolt X is different and uglier than Kabolt, and I haven't found any aftermarket ones yet.

I'm sorta hoping some brand will offer me 300% more stiffness over the Fox axle.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sent an email to Action LED Lights that my remote unit had broken part of the mount, before I even knew what was going on, I got an email that the new part was in the mail. Good lights, good service.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Have looked at the RAP stuff.
What does it gain me over the stock DT RWS and RS quick release?
(other than the obvious bit of security by lack of QR)

Any comments on their nifty looking security system?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I had a Marsh guard on a Pike on an old bike, which worked very well. The only crappy thing about it, was it had completely worn down the paint and even some metal on the fork where it was touching it. That said, it was on there for 2 or 3 years and I never took it off.

The bolt on fender on my DVO is great. No worries and no zip ties.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I had a Marsh guard on a Pike on an old bike, which worked very well. The only crappy thing about it, was it had completely worn down the paint and even some metal on the fork where it was touching it. That said, it was on there for 2 or 3 years and I never took it off.
solved this my wrapping electric tape around the leg, and using velcro strips to fasten it. (the kind of velcro strips for cable management - I'm guessing you must have plenty of those lying around?)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Gemini? Gloworm? MagicShine?
This one is a glowworm. It’s good, I like it. I have a (discontinued) ituo xp4 that is even a bit better/brighter, but it’s remote isn’t quite as good. Both are what is call “high end lights” that work great season after season.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This one is a glowworm. It’s good, I like it. I have a (discontinued) ituo xp4 that is even a bit better/brighter, but it’s remote isn’t quite as good. Both are what is call “high end lights” that work great season after season.
i have an xp3 from ituo which i like a lot. kind of a shame what happened to the business.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have the XP3 for my helmet, and the XP2 for my bar. I agree about the remote. It's not good enough to bother using. I'd be inclined to get the new Gemini Duo 2200 to replace the XP3. Smaller and more powerful, and the wireless remote would be pretty sweet.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have the XP3 for my helmet, and the XP2 for my bar. I agree about the remote. It's not good enough to bother using. I'd be inclined to get the new Gemini Duo 2200 to replace the XP3. Smaller and more powerful, and the wireless remote would be pretty sweet.
Bookmarked those Gemini lights...I'm looking for a new helmet light.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, the little clip on the glowworm wireless is what broke, but the wireless remote is very nice, worked great all last winter. The real annoying thing about the XP4 is it's too easy to send the light into programming mode and then you have to cycle out of it, but as far as providing flood, both do exceptional, XP4 brighter though.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Bookmarked those Gemini lights...I'm looking for a new helmet light.
check out the outbound hangover...I just got the downhill package and it's really good, been using the cheapo 'high lumen' chinese lights, and thought they were pretty decent, nah, they suck! the beam pattern on the outbound stuff is amazing, finally don't feel like I'm staring down a tunnel trying to see trail subtleties, now I have to deal with my watery eyes slowing me down!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
check out the outbound hangover...I just got the downhill package and it's really good, been using the cheapo 'high lumen' chinese lights, and thought they were pretty decent, nah, they suck! the beam pattern on the outbound stuff is amazing, finally don't feel like I'm staring down a tunnel trying to see trail subtleties, now I have to deal with my watery eyes slowing me down!
That's actually the light I was originally looking at, but I started to read reports of the battery life not really being what was expected, especially in cold temperatures (cold is when I use the lights the most). How long have you had it?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The gemini reminds me a lot of the ituo stuff... Yet another evolution?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
That's actually the light I was originally looking at, but I started to read reports of the battery life not really being what was expected, especially in cold temperatures (cold is when I use the lights the most). How long have you had it?
only two weeks and been out 3 times, I just use the Trail bar mount light on roads/climbs, and then fire up the hangover descending. First ride was Devil's Night ride on Seymour with a big group, 2.5 hours and still had juice at the end...we did Corkscrew, Pingu, Boogieman, and I was able to keep up with guys who ride them all the time, I've only done Boogieman a couple of times previously. I dunno, YMMV but I generally wouldn't be out for more than 2-2.5 hours most night rides anyway, so I'm not anticipating too much of an issue.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm really curious about those Outbounds too. My night riding light theory is that I want a strong spot on my helmet that will illuminate where my eyes are looking in the distance. The bar light is only there to provide contrast, and to save my helmet light batteries during climbs. I aim it in the foreground. If the bar light is too bright, my eyes get accustomed to it, and it reduces their ability to see what's ahead. So I usually run by bar on low, and my helmet on high for descents.

How does the Outbound do on the helmet? Is it more of a spot, or a flood? 2 hours on high is sufficient run time.

I'm with @canadmos in that I'd need it to be able to run down to -20°C for fatbiking at night.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
How does the Outbound do on the helmet? Is it more of a spot, or a flood? 2 hours on high is sufficient run time.
It's kind of a combo beam, bright and semi-tall mid point with a wider outside pattern that falls off nicely and still gives you a bit of that peripheral light on the outsides. I run it on my gopro helmet mount and it's really quite light and very low profile. Sorry, cannot comment on riding at those temperatures, if it's that cold I'm definitely not on a bike and am probably skiing!