Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Betting on eBikes is probably a win. Making money is what they care about. Y’all meBikes don’t wear out enough stuff and buy enough bikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
child abuse has many forms

maybe it comes with a slimjim to snap into
i'm sorry sometimes i just can't help myself. if it makes you feel better i'll get you matching parachute pants to go along with the matching pit vipers. you and my kid can pretend you're twins.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
3x the weight of the old 11spd XO1. Also, shift ratio is incompatible with other parts. An ebike drivetrain I'll probably never actually deal with. Doesn't Sram have one too?
Yup, the EX1:

But it's a regular cog spacing, nothing out of this world... Just odd cassette jumps, as with the novel Shimano offerings.

EDIT: and ~320g, or less than half the weight of the Shimano boat anchors...

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
the moped crew, they keep chewing through transmissions like candy because of the added stress from the motor.
No. They don't.
They fuck them up because they're retarded at changing gear smoothly.
I'm getting over 4000miles out of each Deore 10speed cassette and SRAM 1130 chain on my Emtb.
Just by easing off the pedals for every shift and allowing the over run to shift sprocket smoothly under less power than a normal drivetrain.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Sending motor power through a derailleur drivetrain is a mess. This is the first bandaid. They'll eventually come up with something else. Maybe ebikes will be what finally gets the entire MTB industry on gear boxes. That would allow regenerative braking.
gearboxes make the most sense in this application. most of the conventional arguments against gearboxes are solved with the addition of a motor (weight & drag; shifting could be electronic, etc). something like this (only from bosch / brose / shimano) - 8 speed gearbox / motor contained within a compact form factor:

https://www.intra-drive.com/

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
gearboxes make the most sense in this application. most of the conventional arguments against gearboxes are solved with the addition of a motor (weight & drag; shifting could be electronic, etc). something like this (only from bosch / brose / shimano) - 8 speed gearbox / motor contained within a compact form factor:

Effigear is actually selling the combo, partnering with Valeo:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

None of the current Emtb motors are very durable as it is. Adding a gearbox will just add to their unreliability. Most are also treated as disposable items by their manufacturer when they fail. Even within warranty.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Regenerative braking would be pretty badass, wouldn’t extend you more than a few miles maybe, but when you are using the eBike to ride up big climbs and descend down, that would be nice.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
They fuck them up because they're retarded at changing gear smoothly.
I'm getting over 4000miles out of each Deore 10speed cassette and SRAM 1130 chain on my Emtb.
Just by easing off the pedals for every shift and allowing the over run to shift sprocket smoothly under less power than a normal drivetrain.
Apparently you don't know how to e-bike properly. ;)

Regenerative braking sounds like a great idea - until you ride trails on a fixie without brakes.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
from the article:

"Existing 11-speed Shimano chains are compatible with Linkglide drivetrains. "

its not much, but its something.
Eh, so I missed the chain bit.

But not able to use it with an existing shifter/derailleur setup? Fuck that. Just...dumb.

I say that as someone firmly on the SRAM 11 speed train.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
In my experience existing Shimano chains wear faster than existing SRAM chains so wouldn't that negate any claimed improvement in drivetrain life.
PS. WTF does 300% really mean anyway?
12000miles on an Ebike? Yeah. Right.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
For regen braking to work you'd need a fixie rear hub and have the freehub be between the pedals and motor. Problem is at that point any top chain growth is then going to have spin the gearbox and motor inertia even if you're coasting and that's going to make rear suspensions work worse and any top chain shrinkage is going to slacken the chain and until the tensioner arm can overcome that same inertia. So basically it'll work great for hard tails and not work on full suspension unless you specifically design it to have like next to no change in top chain length over its travel, which is probably going to result in like no anti-squat. So regen braking is really only going to happen on mtb if we go to hub motors.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So you can’t use like coils in brake rotors and magnets n shit? I was thinking of some advanced system where it’s built into the brake system and turned “on” when you brake (circuit complete for induction current).

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Sure you could. You could do that right now, just glue a ton on magnets to the inside of your rim and put the coil where rim brakes used to go. But like how do you control the regen? Do you like make the first travel of your brake levers not make pads touch rotors and instead control the regen like a prius? Do you just add a button that makes the regen all our nothing and leave the brakes alone? Like idk.